- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Thanks Mehrdad!

Merrill
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 PM

When I was talking to a support tech at Lycoming about an unrelated issue, I asked about this SB and he said only engines manufactured 10-15+ years ago were affected and that I didn't need to even bother removing mine.
N781TD
RV-7
First Flight - April 12, 2015

Construction Log
Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 PM

The relevant Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin is 518D and relates to a possibly faulty Thermostatic Oil Cooler Bypass Valve.

The problem is that a crimp nut on the end of the valve that is located inside the engine can come loose and drop into the engine accessory case causing engine damage. Oh ooh.

The Mandatory Bulletin outlines a procedure for removing the valve and checking the crimp nut. If the valve nut fails the check the Bulletin calls for it to be replaced with a current model of approved valve as stipulated in Lycoming Service Instruction # 1565.

Service Instruction #1565 calls for the approved valve replacement to be a part no. 53E22144. In other words if you have a valve with part no. 53E22144 in your engine then you have no problem and the Mandatory Bulletin is not applicable.

To determine the part no of your valve you should look in the Engine Log that came with your engine. It should contain a list of all components and the relevant part numbers (including the valve). Failing that you will need to examine the valve in your engine to determine its part no.

However, as a rough guideline, my AeroSport IO360 was purchased new in February 2008 and came with the current (approved) valve part no 53E22144 so I am assuming that any new engine purchased after that date will likely also have the approved valve....unless of course the "manufacturer" used very old valve stock.

Last edited by Captain Avgas : 01-12-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:17 AM

Just checked mine. It was easy to read the part number that is stamped into the top of the valve.

The top of the valve faces down on my oil filter adapter. Used a small mirror and a bright light, and practiced my backward and upside-down reading skills. P/N was the new one.

No need to remove a valve unless it is on the "suspect" list in the SB.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2017 Donation+ Sent
Old 01-15-2017, 05:35 PM

Inspection complete with iPhone.

Doesn't appear to want me to insert an image but you can see at the link below.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j..._3586.JPG?dl=0

My -7 has the IO360 M1B built mid 2013

Last edited by haydnc : 01-15-2017 at 05:39 PM.