- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFRich View Post
Quick question for everyone here.

I was also at the show and saw a few lithium companies, but I wanted to find out some things about them first.

Biggest question for me is where the battery is built. I have purchased lithium batteries in the past, and for the most part they've been built in China or Korea - and those didn't do well. I've come across some companies that put "Made in the USA" but it was really made in China despite that claim, they only put stickers on it or some other nonsense.

I can't find a definite street address, just a PO Box from them, and the only address I did find was for someone's house.

Can anyone help me to verify these guys so I can feel confident about them over other companies? I'm looking around, would like to feel safe about losing that weight.

Thanks!
According to their web site at least:

"We engineer and assemble all our batteries in the U.S.A."

This likely means that components come from all over the place, possibly including China, other parts of Asia, etc ... but this is almost always true of anything you buy, even when it says "Made in the USA".
Current Piper Warrior PA-28-151 Owner/Pilot
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.sling4.ninja
Old 07-30-2015, 10:27 AM

From their "Contact Us" page of their website:
EarthX, Inc., P.O. 767, Windsor, CO, 80550

You also might want to read some of these posts that discuss EarthX and these batteries:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...rchid=24650979

Kathy frequently posts on this forum so you might want to ask her directly any questions you may have. Here is a thread she started a couple of months ago:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ghlight=earthX

The answers are out there.

Live Long and Prosper!
Live Long And Prosper!
Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 PM

Default Where are they built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
From their "Contact Us" page of their website:
EarthX, Inc., P.O. 767, Windsor, CO, 80550

You also might want to read some of these posts that discuss EarthX and these batteries:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...rchid=24650979

Kathy frequently posts on this forum so you might want to ask her directly any questions you may have. Here is a thread she started a couple of months ago:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ghlight=earthX

The answers are out there.

Live Long and Prosper!
I would be happy to answer the questions here. EarthX's commercial warehouse where the batteries are built is 1111 Diamond Valley Parkway, Unit 101, Windsor, CO 80550. We do not post this address publically as it is not a retail front and we do not "sell" from this location nor do we receive any type correspondence here. This is a manufacturing site only.

EarthX does qualify, based on the USA regulations set forth by the federal government to have the USA flag and MADE IN AMERICA all over our packaging, advertisements, etc. but we do have to source one of the components outside of the USA and didn't want to mislead anyone as very few people know the legal definition of being able to say "MADE IN THE USA". Many consumers believe if you say MADE IN THE USA, 100% of the components come from the USA which is not true. This is why we choose to say engineered and assembled in the USA.

We do try to have most of the components sourced directly from Colorado as this is the home state. EarthX actually manufacturers the BMS boards on site and own the machine to do this.

One of the first things you do when a business is started is deciding what type of entity the company will be and EarthX is a corporation. The paperwork was filed before a commercial site was secured and does reflect an address of a residence vs. the commercial site. As this was over 6 years ago, this is something we should update. Thanks for pointing this out.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kathy

Kathy
Old 08-25-2015, 04:12 PM

We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade our portly 6 with a EarthX. I felt the safeguards EarthX uses would provide the safety factor we wanted. We attempted the battery install today. Sadly we encountered the same width issue others have reported. The specs list the battery as .1 inches wider then the PC680. Visually with the two batteries side by side it appeared to be between 3/16 and a quarter inch wider. We could not make it fit. We will have to fabricate a new spacer assembly in our battery box. If you have a tight battery box in your aircraft it's not going to be a drop in. I am somewhat surprised EarthX did not keep the battery the same width.
George
Old 08-25-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Fitment of the ETX680

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
We decided to bite the bullet and upgrade our portly 6 with a EarthX. I felt the safeguards EarthX uses would provide the safety factor we wanted. We attempted the battery install today. Sadly we encountered the same width issue others have reported. The specs list the battery as .1 inches wider then the PC680. Visually with the two batteries side by side it appeared to be between 3/16 and a quarter inch wider. We could not make it fit. We will have to fabricate a new spacer assembly in our battery box. If you have a tight battery box in your aircraft it's not going to be a drop in. I am somewhat surprised EarthX did not keep the battery the same width.
George
Dear George,

First off, thank you for your purchase. And we are sorry for the inconvenience of having to fabricate a new spacer assembly and we wish that our battery could fit into 100% of every aftermarket battery box out there but this is one of the boxes we don't easily fit into. We do list on the experimental aircraft page "The ETX680 and the ETX900 will fit into most of your existing PC680 Odyssey hardware battery boxes (there are many aftermarket suppliers and it may not be exact, if you have a 4 sided fire wall forward kit, this will not work with the ETX680 or ETX900) but with many more features and a lot less weight!!"

The battery box you have only measures 2.9" in width, and it a very tight fit for the PC680 as well. The shape of a lead acid battery is also different due to the plastic molding process. If you measure the PC680 is will measure at 3.11" on the top but smaller on the bottom as it is a wedge or cup shape in order to pop the molding out of the molding case. The EarthX battery is symmetrical all the way down.

It was not possible to make our case thinner due to the width of the cells. And again, had we been able to make the case the thinnest part of the PC680, it would then have been too thin at the top due to the difference in shape.

Most reports we get do not have any issues with the install UNLESS it is with the 4 sided solid battery box. We have had about 5 people at this point say it was an issue and what they did is put WD40 on the case and installed it on a warm day when the battery box flexed. Or....do as you are suggesting and modifying the box.

Again, sorry for the additional work needed to install the battery and please continue to post your results and experiences with the install.

Kathy

Kathy
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 PM

Default Cell quality

I am more concerned about cell quality
I found many cells that made in unknown places
that dont correspond to datasheet.
1) can you share make and part number of cells used and country of manufacturing ?
2) how does it perform when installed FFWD where temperature exceeding 140F ???
How higher temperatures affect performance

RV7 C-GZZY Flying

2016.October - Tooling up and shop prep
What to build 7,10,or 14 ?

VAF SUPPORTED
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Last edited by vluvelin : 08-25-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
George
George, which Earth X model did you order? I would like to get a look at your battery box before you recowl it. Will try to get over there today to have a look.
Contribution in for 2017, money well spent
Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
According to their web site at least:

"We engineer and assemble all our batteries in the U.S.A."

This likely means that components come from all over the place, possibly including China, other parts of Asia, etc ... but this is almost always true of anything you buy, even when it says "Made in the USA".
The vast majority of lithium battery cells are manufactured in Asia... at least until Telsa gets their gigafactory up and running.
KSGS - Fleming Field, South Saint Paul, Minnesota

GoodPlaneLiving.com -- Build Blog and Travel Videos
Old 08-26-2015, 10:27 AM

Default cell quality

The cell quality is an excellent question! The cells we use are custom made exclusively for EarthX and are based on the engineering design and spec's from EarthX. We have spent years cultivating consistent quality cells and have hundreds of thousands of cells out in the market place. We also visit the factory and test every single cell before production to make sure they meet or exceed the requirements.

We also have the battery management system that also protects the cells and will detect if there is a cell problem over time or due to abuse.

There is a reason why EarthX currently has 13 OEM's (and that number is rising). These are completely independent engineering departments that have tested and approved the EarthX brand of batteries in their factory built planes/helicopters or kit planes. There is also a reason why Rotax engines copied verbatim from the EarthX website what is required to be an approved lithium battery for use with their product. Our mission was never to be the cheapest lithium battery on the market, our mission was to have the highest quality and performance lithium battery on the market.

As with all products, there will be variances in the quality and there are companies out there that source the cheapest cells they can buy and put them in an unprotected plastic case. That is not comparing apples to apples and the entire lithium battery market takes a knock when this happens.

Kathy

Kathy

Last edited by EarthX Lithium : 08-26-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFear View Post
George, which Earth X model did you order? I would like to get a look at your battery box before you recowl it. Will try to get over there today to have a look.
Bill we ordered the 680. Our box is between the rudder pedals not on the firewall. We are taking it over to van in the morning to work on a couple of items.
George