- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2016, 03:08 PM

Smile PC680 cranking

My PC 680 (B & C starter) cranks my 10:1 Lycon IO-360 briskly and will do multiple starts without any charging. I would check your grounds and wire gauge etc. or consider a B&C!
Flying Pitts S-2A, Piper Lance
Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 PM

I have an RV-8 with IO 360 M1A, Sky-Tec 149-12LS. Recently installed EarthX ETX 680 due to age of Odyssey 680. The EarthX spins the prop much better with easier starts - no problems whatsoever.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Anyone having positive results with an EarthX ETX 680 battery and a SkyTec LSX lightweight starter?

By positive I mean, its spins the prop and starts on the first attempt.

My SkyTec LSX / Odyssey 680 combo takes 2 to 3 tries before I can get the prop turning with the battery indicating 12.6 V.

I have an RV-8 with high compression IO-360.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I have an RV-8 with IO 360 M1A, Sky-Tec 149-12LS. Recently installed EarthX ETX 680 due to age of Odyssey 680. The EarthX spins the prop much better with easier starts - no problems whatsoever.
Thanks for the response John. I received positive response from another RV-8 owner via a PM.

I'm trying to get my starter to turn the prop like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTj-Gsibqg

Instead of this:

https://youtu.be/R3URjpaJyfU

(Videos borrowed from "Mantry" thread, "SkyTec 149-NL vs 149-LSX Starter Cranky!")

Seems like this can be achieved with the EarthX as opposed to a new starter.

Please share the results of your experience using the EarthX ETX 680 battery and a SkyTec LSX lightweight starter.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Chkaharyer99 : 12-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 AM

Charlie,

Before spending the big bucks, have you monitored battery voltage *on the actual battery posts* while cranking? That will tell you a lot about whether you really have a battery problem. You can see the same symptom if you have a poor connection anywhere in the electrical path from post, through all the joints to the starter, and all the way back to the negative post of the battery.

When you check, be sure the voltmeter probes are on the actual battery posts; not the bolt or wire terminal.

Charlie
Old 12-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Default Voltage drop test

Do what Charlie wrote before you start to replace things
it is called Voltage drop test I am sure you can find info on it online
you have 2 contactors on the way to starter check drop on each one
I dont remember the Amps rating on them but they must be working close to there limit when cranking.
bad contact = small gauge wire usually overheat when high Amps passing through
Using EarthX with bad contactors = BBQ

RV7 C-GZZY Flying

2016.October - Tooling up and shop prep
What to build 7,10,or 14 ?
2017 June RV7 Emp in works!

VAF SUPPORTED
2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Last edited by vluvelin : 12-16-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Charlie,

Before spending the big bucks, have you monitored battery voltage *on the actual battery posts* while cranking? That will tell you a lot about whether you really have a battery problem. You can see the same symptom if you have a poor connection anywhere in the electrical path from post, through all the joints to the starter, and all the way back to the negative post of the battery.

When you check, be sure the voltmeter probes are on the actual battery posts; not the bolt or wire terminal.

Charlie
Quote:
Originally Posted by vluvelin View Post
Do what Charlie wrote before you start to replace things
it is called Voltage drop test I am sure you can find info on it online
you have 2 contactors on the way to starter check drop on each one
I dont remember the Amps rating on them but they must be working close to there limit when cranking.
bad contact = small gauge wire usually overheat when high Amps passing through
Using EarthX with bad contactors = BBQ
Thanks guys. I have the troubleshooting guide and will check it out as suggested before dropping coin. I've done this once before and I'm getting more than a 2 volt drop during starter activation with my Odyssey PC680 and SkyTec LS combo. The best I've seen my fully charged Odyssey at was 12.7 volts but that degrades pretty fast with the activation of my master switch and fuel pump.

I have to bump the starter 2 - 3 times before I can get my prop to fully rotate and start my engine.

I think the combination of my Odyssey's voltage drop and relatively low rated CCA (170) on this 18 month old battery is causing the issue.

I'm trying to determine if there are any folks out there who saw improved cranking with the EarthX (320 CCA) and the SkyTec LS combo.

My battery is on the firewall. I have a Hartzell CS prop on an IO-360. The EarthX would help me shed a few pounds up front.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Hi Charlie,

I just installed an EarthX 900 in my -4. My aircraft has an IO-360 with a Skytech lightweight starter. It cranks noticeably faster and starts much quicker than with the Concorde lead acid gel cell I replaced. I attribute the quicker starts to the lower voltage droop. My Pmags seem to like voltages above 10 volts. My old (3-4 years) Concorde battery would drop to 9.8 or 9.9 on starts and the engine would often catch upon release of the starter button (as the voltage recovered, I believe). I only have 3 or 4 starts on the new battery, but so far it seems great.

Good luck,

Dean
Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Thanks guys. I have the troubleshooting guide and will check it out as suggested before dropping coin. I've done this once before and I'm getting more than a 2 volt drop during starter activation with my Odyssey PC680 and SkyTec LS combo. The best I've seen my fully charged Odyssey at was 12.7 volts but that degrades pretty fast with the activation of my master switch and fuel pump.

I have to bump the starter 2 - 3 times before I can get my prop to fully rotate and start my engine.

I think the combination of my Odyssey's voltage drop and relatively low rated CCA (170) on this 18 month old battery is causing the issue.

I'm trying to determine if there are any folks out there who saw improved cranking with the EarthX (320 CCA) and the SkyTec LS combo.

My battery is on the firewall. I have a Hartzell CS prop on an IO-360. The EarthX would help me shed a few pounds up front.
I can attest that once I replaced my PC680 with the EarthX the engine cranked noticeably faster. The EarthX fires almost immediately once the starter is engaged. I had 6 years on my PC680. It was taking considerable effort to turn my Catto prop over. I also had to hit the starter a couple of times to allow the prop to turn over with the old batter. The new EarthX changed all of that for the better.

I think your described symptoms may be resolved if you change out the battery but as others have stated, make sure there is not some wiring or connection problem in the circuit from the battery to the starter. If you do not find any issues then try installing the new battery. I have no complaints to date with the EarthX battery.
Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Pichon View Post
Hi Charlie,

I just installed an EarthX 900 in my -4. My aircraft has an IO-360 with a Skytech lightweight starter. It cranks noticeably faster and starts much quicker than with the Concorde lead acid gel cell I replaced. I attribute the quicker starts to the lower voltage droop. My Pmags seem to like voltages above 10 volts. My old (3-4 years) Concorde battery would drop to 9.8 or 9.9 on starts and the engine would often catch upon release of the starter button (as the voltage recovered, I believe). I only have 3 or 4 starts on the new battery, but so far it seems great.

Good luck,

Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
I can attest that once I replaced my PC680 with the EarthX the engine cranked noticeably faster. The EarthX fires almost immediately once the starter is engaged. I had 6 years on my PC680. It was taking considerable effort to turn my Catto prop over. I also had to hit the starter a couple of times to allow the prop to turn over with the old batter. The new EarthX changed all of that for the better.

I think your described symptoms may be resolved if you change out the battery but as others have stated, make sure there is not some wiring or connection problem in the circuit from the battery to the starter. If you do not find any issues then try installing the new battery. I have no complaints to date with the EarthX battery.
Dean and Steve,

Thank you for the advise and sharing your experiences.

Today I removed all my cables, checked and cleaned the connections, ensured the terminal crimps were good and reassembled it all. With my Odyssey PC680 fully charged my SkyTec LS starter was able to turn the prop on the first attempt. No bump.

Based on the responses I received I will be getting an EarthX. It will have to wait until after Christmas.

Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Default Sun N Fun

It is that time of year! Time to dust off those wings and head south. EarthX will be attending Sun N Fun, Hangar A, booth A-64 and would love to have you stop by and say "Hi".

If you are planning on attending and making a purchase of any of EarthX products, give us a call this week (970) 674-8884 so we can guarantee your product is waiting for you and you can avoid the lines. We never discount the batteries as they are priced year round as low as we can go but the accessories have great show pricing.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Kathy