What year is this...2015...hmmm...an odd year....yes...it's time...for another Caribbean Adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!
For vacation; Even years, fly Commercial. Odd years, FLY RV
It seems to me like yesterday, but it's been two years since our one-month-long 2013 Caribbean trip
, a trip still fresh-on-our-minds, and we are OH-SO-READY-TO-FLY BACK!!!
This year, we are flying to the Dominican Republic, Antigua and Dominica with some wonderful friends. The main group will return home from Dominica but we'll keep going to make it three weeks to visit some other islands...maybe even stay a fourth week if we are having TOO MUCH FUN! Our trips starts on April 9th and ends on May 3rd.
Andrew “Sharkbait” Brandt will be returning from his South America RV trip when he joins us on Dominica so we look forward to meeting up with him too.
Let me introduce you to the group, many of you who you already know as they are veterans of several overwater trips.
Newbies flying for the first time with us across the water are marked with **
Flight Leads are bolded
Victoria & Paul Rosales
(California, RV-6A)...........Janet & Gene Larsen (Iowa, RV-9A)..................**Diane & Dan West (California, RV-8)
Gail & Doug Dodson
(California, Glasair II)........ **Scott Loftin (California, Glasair III)..............**Roger & Sue Hansen (Arizona, RV-6)
& Scott Card (Texas, RV-9A)................ Alina & Dave Bouno (Texas, RV-7A).............**Staci Stroud & Jeff Jackson (Texas, RV-8)
Rosie, Tuppergal, Nordo, Moody Blue, Bun, Opie, eStitch, Cookie, Scoot, Taco & Belle...Shiner...what's with these names anyway?!? Can you match them with faces above?!?
Roger & Sue Hansen and Andrew will continue with Victoria and I for another week of Vacation once the main group flies home (with Tanya Card as Lead) from Dominica to end a two-week-vacation.
We will continue our vacation with landings on the islands of Canouan
, St. Lucia
and St. Kitts
I will also be getting a flight checkout, along with Doug Dodson, so that we can fly to St. Barth’s
and land on the ‘short’ runway…well…not short for an RV!!!!!
I depart on Thursday morning, April 9th for Dallas...without
my wife Victoria (Tuppergal); she has a Tupperware convention on Saturday (April 11th) so I'll pick her up in Tampa on Monday, April 13th. I'll have a co-worker travel with me the first day to Dallas (Herb Turner) then I'm solo till I pick her up at Tampa airport on Monday, April 12th.
Here's my itinerary from California to Homestead, Florida where we all meet up on Monday April 13th for a Tuesday departure overwater:
- Visit friends in the DFW area
- Eat Texas BBQ
- Eat Memphis BBQ
- Visit Graceland
- See Team Aerodynamix practice in Anderson (SC)
- Hang out with Amy & Mike "Kahuna" Stewart at their North Carolina skypark home...and play the PS3 game called (I think) Rockstar!!!
- Have the best-fried-chicken-lunch-ever with VAF'er Pierre Smith, Gary Sobek and Nick Ervin at Fosters in Louisville (GA)...Maybe Moose can try to join us!
- Visit a teacher-friend at Spruce Creek (FL)
- Visit friends from my early F-117 days in Clearwater (near Tampa)
- Can't forget this one...Pickup my wife at the airport!
- Fly down south along the Keys and have lunch with 'the group'
- ...and end up at Homestead airport (X51) by Monday afternoon so we can start our vacation ;-)
Here's what my planned flight path from coming from California to Florida (weather permitting):
The days we are flying where you track our flight path are:
- April 9th through 14th (California to the Dominican Republic)
- April 17th (to St. Barths and Antigua)
- April 20th (to Dominica)
- April 23rd (to Canouan)
- April 25th (to Bequia)
- April 27th (to St. Lucia)
- April 29th (to St. Kitts)
- May 1st through May 3rd (flying home... maybe get Turbo to come to Virgin Gorda so we can 'hang' together)
As always, I can't thank my GREAT FRIEND
& Mentor Jim "Jimmyb" Baker for introducing me to the Caribbean back in 2004
and to Van
himself for designing such a AMAZING
airplane that we all call an R-V!!!!! Looking back on all the friends we've made because of our RV...Our life is for the better because of it!
If you are building, keep poundin' the rivets because it's ALL WORTH IT!!! Paul "Rosie" Rosales
and Victoria "Tuppergal" Rosales
PS: Almost forgot...somewhere on this trip, our hobbs meter will turn 4,000 hours
Note: We completed this trip, flown from April 9th through May 3rd...and we did indeed see 4,000 hours...read on!