Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-11-2017, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Mexico, Canada, Bahamas?

Any idea on how this will affect flying into another country that currently requires a medical?

RV-10 N104XP (1150 Hours)
RV-12 N321UT (Sold)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSchmidt View Post
Any idea on how this will affect flying into another country that currently requires a medical?

"A pilot flying under the BasicMed rule must:

...fly only certain small aircraft, at a limited altitude and speed, and only within the United States; and
not fly for compensation or hire."

Just what the rule says. Canada has no plans to change its rules at this time to follow suit, and ICAO doesn't either. Could change now that the actual new rules are published, but as things stand you would not be eligible to fly as pilot in command outside of the US borders under this certification.
O-360 A1A, Sensenich FP prop

Those who think any system is foolproof greatly underestimate the ingenuity of fools
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
There are some other differences, as well. Once example: Read the physician's form. No specific mention of sleep disorders/sleep apnea for example, which significantly affected a lot of 3rd class medical holders. Commercial flight? Sure. There are other examples.
I don't think that sleep disorders are specifically mentioned in the previous medical exam items either? At least I can't find them in this guide: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...edia/guide.pdf. Presumably this kind of problem would have to be disclosed by the pilot in their medical history, rather than be revealed through examination?

Looking at the BasicMed checklist the last item is "Anything else the physician, in his or her medical judgment, considers necessary." This sounds like a catch-all for anything not specifically mentioned.

My current impression is that the actual medical standards for being able to fly aren't changing appreciably, which makes some sense if you think about it. Not getting caught in the FAA medical bureaucracy is a pretty substantial benefit though.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 AM

If I were a private family practice physican and a patient ask me to sign them off as fit to fly... seems like a pretty good liability you're asking them to accept. I haven't read the 70+ pages and admit I'm not sure of how it all works. Just seems some Doc's might not want to get involved with this.

Paul Gray
Foley, Alabama
N729PG..... 300+ hrs
RV 7A, Lycoming 0 320 D1A, Sensenich FP propeller
pilotforfun2001@yahoo.com
Old 01-12-2017, 06:51 AM

My daughter is a family practice doctor and she doesn't see a problem. They sign off your kids for sports, people to drive 18 wheelers, and many others. I've been keeping her up to speed on this and she's prepared for the first one to walk in the door. If you're in the Pagosa Springs Colorado area, send me an email and I'll provide you her name. She's a commons sense pro-flight doc.

Jerry Folkerts
Murphy Super Rebel, building
Vans, next build
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2500 View Post
My daughter is a family practice doctor and she doesn't see a problem. They sign off your kids for sports, people to drive 18 wheelers, and many others. I've been keeping her up to speed on this and she's prepared for the first one to walk in the door. If you're in the Pagosa Springs Colorado area, send me an email and I'll provide you her name. She's a commons sense pro-flight doc.
Jerry Folkerts
Same for my Doc. I've kept him up to speed since the first proposal and he sees no problem.
<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
Same for my Doc. I've kept him up to speed since the first proposal and he sees no problem.
My annual physical is scheduled for next week. I plan on having a conversation with my doctor then. My only concern is whether or not he is equipped to perform the eye test. I've not seen that device before in his office during the 15 years I've been going to him. I'll know the answer soon enough.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
My annual physical is scheduled for next week. I plan on having a conversation with my doctor then. My only concern is whether or not he is equipped to perform the eye test. I've not seen that device before in his office during the 15 years I've been going to him. I'll know the answer soon enough.
The FAA checklist does not specifically give any required vision standards. It only says the physician "should consider" looking at the existing AME guide.

Seems like whatever equipment he has to think you can see well enough to fly is OK...

Page 29 here -

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...ar/AC_68-1.pdf

Take a copy of the new checklist with you to get his opinion.
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 01-12-2017, 10:42 AM

My doctor recommends that I get an eye exam yearly, and the ophthalmologist I see sends a copy of his visit notes to my doctor. So I expect that would satisfy the vision requirements without the need for my Doc to add any new equipment for vision testing.

Dave M.