Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2017, 11:58 AM

Just a quick word on "watts"... While manufacturers like to make big noise about transmitter power, the reality is that receiver sensitivity is of FAR greater importance. Of course transmitter power and receiver sensitivity are totally meaningless numbers without an optimal antenna installation. A 10W transmitter tied to a crappy antenna installation isn't going to get you any better communication than a 6W transmitter with a well-optimized antenna installation.

Don't get wrapped around the axle when it comes to transmitter power. For most of what we're doing, 6W is plenty enough.

As for Trig, if you think the support you get from Mid Continent is great (which it is!), try talking to the Trig factory folks in Scotland. Truly outstanding service.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Rv8ch,

Yes, the TY92 does provide for 16 watts. But it is strictly a 24 volt installation. So no TY91 for me.

Canadian Joy provides sage advice on transmitter wattage ratings. A well designed blade antenna, coax type and connectors and low-impedance ground plane bonding are the most important items for good successful transmit and receive range. Many times it's the receiver sensitivity and audio quality that we as pilots can take on a personal level and in many cases matter more than transmit range. Also, look closely at the fine print on wattage ratings as there are "max" values and RMS values. There can be complications to some of the higher wattage transmitters out there like more distance required between airframe antenna locations and/or splitting locations between top and bottom of airframe to avoid bleed over interference. There will be more EMI in the aircraft for the balance of the components to have to deal with and if the transmitter doesn't have tight performance specifications it can get down right nasty. Imagine being able to check your ammeter by looking at it when you press the PTT and the transmitter whacks your PC680 or EarthX.

So like the Rolling Stones might say, when it comes to transmit watts in the glossy brochures, sometimes it's better to get just what you need and not what you want. Or think you want.

Always go for a quality vs quantity when it comes to comms.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Thanks for the writeup, Jim. Assuming you wire it up correctly to a good antenna, you feel that the 6 watts put out by the TY91 will be enough? Mainly curious since they also have the TY92 at 16 watts, the SL40 has 8 watts, and the GTR-200 has 10 watts.

Last edited by jliltd : 01-03-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Trig radio & transponder

I have both in my RV3A, boxes under the forward floor between the rudder pedals and the small remote heads in a sub panel.
With the fuel tank in the fuse with little space behind the panel this arrangement works really well.
More importantly is the performance of the radio, it is best I have ever used.

Transponder works well, and easy to operate.

As always just my opinion

Rob
RV3A G-BVDC
1/14th share in L4 Cub
Very Very slow build RV 8
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Smile Trig radio & transponder

Thank you all for the reply's. With all positives and no neg. I guess I now know the way to go.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Default You've installed with a 480 as a GPS source ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I have installed dozens of the TT22 transponder. They work great and the form factor is fantastic. What else you have in your panel will determine what I would recommend. The TT22 has its own encoder, so that saves a lot of hassle and wiring, especially if you don't have a digital encoder already. You will need a certified GPS position source, so if you have a 430/530W, a 480 or a 6/7xx GPS from Garmin or a 440/540 Fromm avidyne, you will just need a serial port wire from that. Hop over Tom FL and I'll install a TT22 in your bird for you.

The TT31 is a little bit more e pensive, doesn't have the encoder built in, but fits in the radio stack in a more normal fashion.

I can't speak to the com radios, but from my experience with Trig products, I wouldn't hesitate.
Hi Jesse,

You sure about the Garmin 480 as a GPS source? Trigs and Dynons docs and those submitted and listed on FAA indicates 400W series and I'm hard pressed to see anywhere they say the explicitly the 480 or Apollo version.
If this is true it will certainly be good news.

Thanks.

Michael B.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 PM

Michael - it's all about software versions for all three units (GNS480, Trig TT22 and TC20 control head, if that's the transponder you're looking at using).

The issue in the past has been that Garmin did not provide the GNS480 with its proprietary "ADSB+" data format. Garmin then released version 2.4 software, purported to be the last release ever to be made for the GNS480, specifically to add "ADSB+" data output capability to the 480.

While Garmin didn't provide ADSB+ from the 480, Trig had no reason to accept the ADSB+ format. Once Garmin made the ADSB+ data format available from its GPS navigators, Trig had to reverse-engineer the data format in order to make their transponders compatible. Version 2.7 software for the TT22 accomplishes this goal. Version 1.12 is required for the TC20 control head, if used.

I have this combination in my aircraft so I can confirm all three of these software versions are available for installation.

Keep in mind that we don't need to have an STC-approved installation in our amateur-built aircraft, and since we can't ever be eligible for the $500 ADSB equipage rebate because we're Canucks, that approved list of devices to which you refer likewise doesn't apply.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:16 AM

Default 480 & TT22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Michael - it's all about software versions for all three units (GNS480, Trig TT22 and TC20 control head, if that's the transponder you're looking at using).

The issue in the past has been that Garmin did not provide the GNS480 with its proprietary "ADSB+" data format. Garmin then released version 2.4 software, purported to be the last release ever to be made for the GNS480, specifically to add "ADSB+" data output capability to the 480.

While Garmin didn't provide ADSB+ from the 480, Trig had no reason to accept the ADSB+ format. Once Garmin made the ADSB+ data format available from its GPS navigators, Trig had to reverse-engineer the data format in order to make their transponders compatible. Version 2.7 software for the TT22 accomplishes this goal. Version 1.12 is required for the TC20 control head, if used.

I have this combination in my aircraft so I can confirm all three of these software versions are available for installation.

Keep in mind that we don't need to have an STC-approved installation in our amateur-built aircraft, and since we can't ever be eligible for the $500 ADSB equipage rebate because we're Canucks, that approved list of devices to which you refer likewise doesn't apply.

The TT22 just seemed to be low hanging fruit since I'm also looking at the possibility of a Dynon panel and IFR that could carry me into the US. The legal source was the major issue. Since the 480 is a certified source and if you have it working that's what I needed.

Thanks for the added information and clarification.
Now it's into the "hangar" for alodine prep.

Cheers.