What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tips for cutting spinner plate (page 44-02 step 2, S-602-1)

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I always feel a little dumb when I can't find any past threads on a topic, because that means I'm the first person dumb enough to build an RV-14 without knowing this stuff already. I am working on the spinner parts so I can put them on the propeller. One of the first steps is to trace the doubler ring inside edge onto the spinner plate and then cut it out. The shape is a little complex, and the metal is pretty thick. This is new territory for me so I'm here to ask if anyone has mapped it out already. Thanks in advance!

I used a dremel cutting disk to get the basic shape, then the dremel barrel to smooth it out, then went to work with grinding and sanding until the hole looked like a factory made it. It's a good bit of work, probably took me two hours.

Never be afraid to ask! I'm a first time builder and without the wonderful folks here I'd still be reordering parts for do-overs.

Last edited:
I used a dremel to get the basic shape and then went to work with grinding and sanding until the hole looked like a factory made it. It's a good bit of work.

Never be afraid to ask, I'm a first time builder and without the wonderful folks here I'd still be reordering parts for do-overs.
Thanks. I started with a die grinder cutoff wheel but I think the thinner blade of a Dremel may actually go faster, especially since the Dremel doesn't give me frostbite and trip the air compressor every 3 minutes like my cheap die grinder does.

I used a big bit on drill press (backed by wood) to get the biggest part out, then Dremel cutting disc and files.

Protect surface from jig saw plate

Jig saw and file work fine. Protect the surface from scratches from the jig saw plate - blue painters tape works fine applied to both surfaces.

Back