What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very Bad Nose Wheel Shake

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
One of the guys at the field just purchased a beautiful RV-6A and immediately installed the Anti-Splat Nose Job 2, Anti-Splate bearing mod, and reset the breakout force.

The nose wheel still shakes terribly (we'll try to get a video tomorrow) but we are looking for things to troubleshoot, running out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Also check side to side play of the nose gear leg. Mine had worn the standard AN bolt slightly and was giving the feeling of nose wheel shimmy. Installed a close tolerance bolt and it is fixed.

Also check side to side play of the nose gear leg. Mine had worn the standard AN bolt slightly and was giving the feeling of nose wheel shimmy. Installed a close tolerance bolt and it is fixed.

Plus one for this check. Any play in the gear leg itself is a sign of an issue and ought to be checked.

Is it a shake or shimmy?

Nose Gear best way to ensure long life

What about not going fast with the nose gear down? I just finished transition training to start flying my RV-7A and the one thing that was most important is keeping the nose gear off the pavement on roll to take off and on roll after landing until no further back pressure will keep it up. Seemed like taking off and landing like this puts the nose gear down only at pretty slow speeds where there are not many forces for shimmy or shakes. Yes it is challenging to learn but isn't the "proper" way to land and take off a tricycle gear RV is by lifting the nose off and keeping it off until there is no more elevator authority? You mention high-speed taxi test. Is the nose gear suppose to do a high-speed taxi? Doesn't seem like it. Sorry if this is an old horse topic, but it is new to me and if a pilot is successfully at taking off and landing with the nose gear off the payment, there is not much stress on the nose gear to worry about.

All good advice except when my tanks are full and Bubba my bbq buddy shows up with 200 lbs of gear.

ATC ?We?re coming in hot, hot, hot......?

Also it?s nice to roll out a ways sometimes depending on the airport.

In summary I fully support any tips in cleaning up my nose gear.
Thanks all

Back