What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Skis or Just Skis On a RV-6?

mbauer

Well Known Member
Anybody add snow skis to a RV-6?

New son-in-law is racing the Iron Dog next year. Daughter asked me about flying support parts, etc.. while the race is happening.

Wondering if it is possible to install skis...

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I've had the idea in mind for years, I think a -4/-6/-7/-9 would make a fine ski plane. Limiting cables could be attached to lower engine mount bolts and rear spar attach points. Wheel penetration or wheel replacement skis could be used. Would involve some flight testing and likely a reduced Vne to keep load on rear spar attach to a minimum. Additionally it would involve a change in operating limitations and likely a Phase 1 test period. My big concern is the added stress placed on the rear spar attach fittings.. there are some ski setups that don't use limiting cables but rather a shock absorber/limiting system, this would solve the cable issue. Either way it would be one FAST skiplane!

Last edited:
I too have thought about this at length and came to the same conclusion as listed above, with one addition.

You will need a tail ski to keep that pizza cutter of a tailwheel out of the snow.

My preference is penetration skis, but only because I live in the South and want to fly home and n the winter and possibly go to the EAA ski-in some year.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thank you for the thoughts. Getting ready to do the yearly inspection, my mechanic does plenty of floats and ski change-outs. Will ask him about it too.

It would open up plenty of places to land in the winter!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Having briefly flown a ski-equipped 7AC I am certainly no expert. However, wouldn't the modest clearance between the aft edge of the lowered flaps and the snow-covered ground potentially be an issue?

Mike ask him if he knows the gent who put his RV9 on floats. Please. He is somewhere in your woods :)

Hi Vlad,

Already have asked him. I'll ask around at my next EAA meeting. Wondering if it might have been Ray Dorsey. Old timer that was in high demand years ago.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Somebody put wheel-skis on an -8:

https://copa8.blogspot.com/2012/01/first-vans-aircraft-rv8-on-penetration.html (includes videos)

600px-RV8WS.JPG

Awesome, Thank You!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Back