What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Selling an RV without an engine?

Tram

Well Known Member
Looking at possibly selling our 6 without the engine..

Just wondering if anyone has been down this road?

Are you considering this option for liability reasons?

While it's not the driving motivation, it could probably be way down on the list.

The engine that is on it currently is in need of a rebuild and we've decided if we put a new engine on it, we're putting a completely different engine on the airplane. May be tin foil hat territory, but it is what it is..

We've been discussing selling it and moving into something like a Cub, L-2, etc, so the benefits of rebuilding the engine in order to sell isn't appealing currently..

As someone who has shopped for planes with that kind of condition, I can say that I'd be much more likely to be interested if the engine didn't come off until the plane was at its new home. It's a lot easier to ship an engine than an airframe. I'd rather bring the engine back to the seller, than tear down, transport (at significant risk), and reassemble an entire airframe.

Not to mention the desire to actually fly the plane prior to purchase, of course....

Charlie

Just saw the most recent post. If the engine will still fly, and you don't have a known use for it, why not sell as-is? 'In need of a rebuild' can have a huge range of meanings, from broken crankshaft to it having 2000 hrs but running fine. A flying a/c, even with a timed out engine, should bring you a lot more money than an engineless airframe.

Charlie

Just saw the most recent post. If the engine will still fly, and you don't have a known use for it, why not sell as-is? 'In need of a rebuild' can have a huge range of meanings, from broken crankshaft to it having 2000 hrs but running fine. A flying a/c, even with a timed out engine, should bring you a lot more money than an engineless airframe.

The engine currently on it is in no shape to aviate. It's going to need either a top or a complete overhaul.

My business partner has a -6A with a rotary on the front and has been trying to sell it, off and on for a year, without the firewall forward and hadn't had any luck.

In his case, it will need a engine mount, engine, baffles, prop, etc. In your case, an engine overhaul or new engine is fairly simple.

My business partner has a -6A with a rotary on the front and has been trying to sell it, off and on for a year, without the firewall forward and hadn't had any luck.

In his case, it will need a engine mount, engine, baffles, prop, etc. In your case, an engine overhaul or new engine is fairly simple.

Yeh, still probably need to be willing to take a hit, simply because the engine wouldn?t be there and the pool of individuals looking for a project is probably much shallower.

So it's not just run out, over TBO situation? Actually non-op?

If so, market it that way. Might get someone who wants to take on the project.

Not sure what benefit you get by keeping and engine you don't want to rebuild.

So it's not just run out, over TBO situation? Actually non-op?

If so, market it that way. Might get someone who wants to take on the project.

Not sure what benefit you get by keeping and engine you don't want to rebuild.

Yeh, I guess we could put a price on it with the engine on it. We discussed selling the engine separate as a core in need of a rebuild.

Tell us about it....

My wife is upstairs so she can't hear me typing .. I'm not allowed to
bring home another broken puppy, but, I have a 0 SMOH O360 wide deck
sitting in my garage for an RV (or ?) annnnd my wife wants that engine out of our garage, annnd an engine install is easy...so... Tell us more....before the wife shows up. John

Yeh, still probably need to be willing to take a hit, simply because the engine wouldn?t be there and the pool of individuals looking for a project is probably much shallower.
I think he was asking for $16K, but I'm not sure. He was prepared to take the hit. He has aged off and stopped flying, which is why he is selling.

Yeh, I guess we could put a price on it with the engine on it. We discussed selling the engine separate as a core in need of a rebuild.
I would rather buy that way than without even a core, but that is me.

Best of luck!

My wife is upstairs so she can't hear me typing .. I'm not allowed to
bring home another broken puppy, but, I have a 0 SMOH O360 wide deck
sitting in my garage for an RV (or ?) annnnd my wife wants that engine out of our garage, annnd an engine install is easy...so... Tell us more....before the wife shows up. John

:D

RV-6. 450TT Airframe. Not sure of the exact number of TT on the narrow deck O-320. I'd need to grab the log book for numbers.

Steam gauges that were about to be replaced with a Dynon.

Maybe I should ask you what you're looking for on your O-360. :)

I think he was asking for $16K, but I'm not sure. He was prepared to take the hit. He has aged off and stopped flying, which is why he is selling.

I would rather buy that way than without even a core, but that is me.

Best of luck!

I'm with you, I think I'd rather buy it all as one piece too.

We haven't committed to any decision yet, just throwing stuff out there at the moment.

If we weren't considering transitioning into a different airframe, the answer would be simple - overhaul the engine and keep rocking.

Exactly, once "deregistered", that airframe can never fly again.
Not quite. Mine was deregistered and is happily flying in Canada. RV's have gone both ways across the border, from the US to Canada and back, so deregistering isn't *always* fatal.

For purposes of Export yes, & states that on the FAA data page.
If de-registered for other reasons, I think it's the end of the road for the airframe.

Maybe as a different angle on marketing it.

What model# 320 is on it now? Maybe someone may have an engine they could easily swap out, slap it on & fly it home.

That is incorrect. I read it on the internets so it must be true!! ;) It’s very easy to bring a deregisteded Aircraft back to life. I’ve done it. Simply when buying the Aircraft fill out the bill of sale with the existing N number. If has been assigned to another Aircraft you will have to reserve a new one in advance of registering it. Send the bill of sale, a new registration form, along with a letter to the registration branch that you now own the deregistered airplane and you would like to apply the new number to it. You will have your registration back in a few months at this point. Also note for this purpose the pink slip on the bos is not valid as a temporary registration in this case, you must wait until you receive the hard copy. I can attach my letter I wrote to the FAA on Monday if it would help someone. In my case the number was kicked back into the system but was never taken so I did not have to change numbers but that would have only been one more step.

Registration is one thing, but what about the airworthiness certificate? If that was surrendered, I don't think it can be re-registered. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

Rusty

Air Certif

A few years ago I looked at my Airworthiness certificate and it was
"falling apart" . The FAA had to "see" the airplane ( I think it had to be in license too ) before he would give me a "reissue" certif, and is marked as such.
John

Selling a RV without a engine

Yes , the FAA has me down as the manufacture.
I was also given a Airworthiness Certificate

Back