What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing/Taxi Lights

mbauer

Well Known Member
Looking to install LED Landing/Taxi lights on my RV-6.

Has anyone installed one of the new style LED light bars in the leading edge of the main gear fairings?

Thinking this might work, but curious if anyone has done this.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Beside possible mounting/drag issues, you might also get too much reflection back from your prop. Just something to think about.

Beside possible mounting/drag issues, you might also get too much reflection back from your prop. Just something to think about.

Wow, never thought about the reflection! Might need more thought.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

ebay purchase 3-years ago

I?m unfamiliar with this ?light bar.? Do you have a website to reference this light bar?

Bought a couple off of eBay for a different project. They are 6.25"L x 1.5"W x 2.25" Tall (deep).

Paid less than $20 for the pair 3-years ago. Just laying around waiting for a project...Got to thinking about the gear leg fairings as a place to mount them.

That lead to this thread to see if anybody has done something like this.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Sounds like more drag, why not just mount some LEDs in the wing landing/taxi light location?

Wow, never thought about the reflection! Might need more thought.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I don't think that will be an issue because the gear legs are down low, out of sight.

I would start by affixing them to your gear legs with tape and at night, see how they look, tail up and tail down. Try them up high on the gear legs and down lower.

If the results are acceptable, then order a new set of fiberglass legs from Van's and mold them in.

One thing I remember from building, there really isn't much room in front of the gear legs, so that may be an issue.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out!

FlyLeds flexibility

Have a chat to Paul at FlyLEDS. He is always trying to sort out solutions for customers in the RV community. He may already have a solution.

Regards,
Andrew

Back