What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Here we go

unitink72

Well Known Member
IMG_20161116_135240.jpg

Well I pulled the trigger. Am beyond excited and have been chipping away at the vertical stab every night since I got inventory done.

Inventory took a couple hours and there were a few little pieces of hardware missing, and the VS spar doubler plate that I think was added in a service bulletin, which is naturally needed on like page 1 of the instructions. :mad:

My builder number is 41750, so I assume that means I have the 1750th RV-10 kit right?

Wondering how much time people spend edge deburring each rib. Not sure if I'm in overkill mode, but its taking me 45 minutes or so. Mostly because I use little 1cm strips of 400 grit to "floss" the flanges. Getting the innermost part of the flange is pretty difficult too. The accessible parts I have a pretty good process for, vixen file, debur tool, scotchbrite wheel.

I've been lurking on this site for a couple years now. Thanks everybody for putting great info on here. Doug - checks' in the mail :D

If yours is number 41687, that means there 63 kits delivered between about May-Nov, 63/7 months = 9 per month. Cool, didn't think it was that high.

Yes 41687.

Mine shipped from Vans on 1/19/2016, I took delivery about a week later, and started work on 3/1 once I finished inventory and got my garage ready.

So really from say Feb-Nov. which is a little over 6/month. Still impressive to me.

I was tail kit 784, delivered Nov. of 2007, so there have been almost exactly 900 tail kits shipped in 9 years, 100 per year.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

Last edited:
Join the part strictly bring your own

I started this journey a few months back on a 9a.

I do the same deburring technique but use 300 or 220 grit and minimize the scotchbrite wheel. I dont scrimp on it since cracks are bad on a flying plane. They are much more time consuming to fix than a little extra deburring. JMHO

Last edited:
As far as, "wondering how much time people spend edge deburring each rib", it seems to me that if one really doesn't want a single "shear mark" or "file mark" left anywhere, on any sheet metal edges, then it's going to take a fair amount of time to do all the ribs. If I remember correctly, it took me about 15 - 20 minutes to do each rib. I took this attitude with every single part on the entire build, not only does it make it safer, but I was trying to build the plane in such a way that it would minimize maintenance repairs. I found a round jewelers file works well to take off the sharp edges before sanding with 220, then 400 grit cloth backed aluminum oxide. (Do not sand aluminum with any sort of black cloth.) The aluminum oxide cloth can be folded over itself several times or folded around a tongue depressor to make a "sandpaper" file. Being anal is good!

Mine was delivered end of July, and I'm Kit #1711
So, 40 Emp kits sold in the last 4 months: 10 per month...

Last edited:
Awesome, welcome to the madness :)

I do spend a fair amount of time deburring, especially the larger parts. I typically apply the nail test - if I run my finger nails along the edge and it catches, I deburr a bit more there until it doesn't anymore.

Part 3

Wings are just about done. Need to attach the fuel tanks and rivet the flaps together. Got the Fuse kit a littler earlier this time. With the wing kit I was without a project for a month and that just plain sucked. Lesson learned!

This box was quite the monster. The put the 1 long piece of angle in the box kind of sprung so it pushed against the side, and it ended up popping open the box side. Its bent a bit when you look at it down its length (8+ feet), but hoping thats not a big deal. Also wierd that there's only 1 big longeron, would think there would be two. We'll see what inventory says!
b8jO52F.png

The bigger issue is the bent F-1076 bottom skin. Of course its the biggest skin in the whole box. I have an email into Barb to see what my options are. Since its on the bottom I don't mind an imperfection down there. But I really don't want it to crack 8 years into flying either.
KTq3GaT.png

Congrats on the fuselage delivery!

Noting the earlier posts, I?m 41949, which I ordered 11/26/2018, almost 24 months to the day after yours, which works out to 8.3 kits per month over those two years.

Back