What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

auto paint for a plane

WISC

Well Known Member
A friend reached out to me who has no aviation experience. His relative owns a body and paint shop. The owner of the shop was asked if he would paint a local guys experimental aluminum airplane. It sounds like a RV but I am getting the information 2nd hand.
Anyway, I was asked if there was a certain type of paint and primer the painter should use?
I don't have a clue but I am sure the forum has the answer.
Anything else I should tell the owner of the paint shop?
Thanks in advance!

PPG, Sherwin Williams, and Axalta (formerly Dupont) have a number of products in their automotive lines that are appropriate for our aluminum/fiberglass airplanes. Most begin with an etch and alodine process, followed by an epoxy primer, followed by a single or two stage urethane paint. So, whichever of the major brands your painter friend uses, the local jobber will be able to point him to suitable products.

There is a sub-forum on this board on painting your airplane. There are lots of specific products and techniques referenced there.

Last edited:
Kyle is spot on. We used a non chromate etch, followed by build primer and then 2 pack polyurethane topcoat on our 7. Shot it all in the shop with positive extraction.

Sorry Mr Czerski, I know your car has gone a strange shade of green, white and red now, but I am sure we can buff it out, leave it to me Sir......

Proper preparation is important

There is an old adage "Never let let a car guy paint your airplane."

That said, a lot of RV's have been painted at body shops or with "automotive" paints.

The key is to make sure that the aluminum is properly prepped and more importantly, not IMPROPERLY prepped. (Proper corrosion protection, not using excessive heavy fillers or aggressive sanding techniques, for example)

And the auto body guy needs to know we airplane folks are very concerned with the weight of the paint job....

Imron

I am using a Metalux epoxy primer and Imron
Polyurethane. Wet sand primer with 600 then apply finish. It's very durable, high gloss paint.
$80.00 for a gallon of white. So far have just painted the fiberglass
Parts. It's nice as if you get any dust, drip, or orange peel. you can wet sand
With 1500, 2000, 3m trizact 3000 then buff. Comes out like glass.
All products bought at auto body supply house.

The key is laying down enough paint so it flows but not to much for it to run.
Dry applications end up orange peally.
Min 5 deg due point spread.

Last edited:
I went the mechanical etch route, severe maroon scotchbrite, clean and epoxy primer before the aluminum oxidizes. then there was the 5K in paint supplies........:D

I replaced the ailerons on my wife's RV-4 and painted them with PPG Concept which was color matched (white) to an old aileron. It was recommended by the local PPG paint shop.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/docs/ppgdccp.pdf
Easy to apply, is holding up and looking fine. Cheaper than 'auto' paint.
I did it myself. What's not to like?
Also, had some left over. It was used (a couple of years later) to repair paint damage caused by the removal of the right fuel tank.
That was a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Back