What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drop Down Fuse Panel Pics?

ERushing

Well Known Member
In my panel and electrical architecture planning stage and am going back and forth trying to figure out which 2 of the three boxes I'll use - EFII Bus Manager, VPX-Pro and Garmin GAD27.

Does anyone have pics of clever non-panel placement of fuses or ckt breakers? I don't have much panel space left and a clever drop-down fuse block might seal my decision.

Note that my mission is single pilot IFR/ cross country w/ option for dual pilot IFR. I'm planning to use Aerosport's 310 panel with Garmin G3X (possibly AFS) and EFII's ignition/ injection including the programmer - likely positioned in the lower panel above the tunnel below the center stack.

Any help would be appreciated! The threads I've found have old links to pics that no longer exist...

I'm there too

I have looked at the GAD27 and it appears that it does some of the things the vpx does like trim, lights, wig wag etc but it does not give you the election on if circuit breakers. The bus manager is a different animal as it allows you to power your busses from any source and automatically switch electric fuel pumps if the primary fails. Considering you are going with the full EFII suite, the ignition and fuel pumps need to be on an "essential" bus... I am leaning toward the vpx and the bus manager. I am going to be running an EFII dual system...

Here is the setup I went with-- split bus, dual battery, single alternator

2re5bgp.jpg

Easy access to fuses, but wiring to panel switches gets a little tight.

Last edited:
I am using this. It will be a drop down on the co pilot side. 28 circuit. Works very nice.

Series 15700 - RTA
Rear Terminal ATC Fuse Panel
The Rear Terminal ATC® Fuse Panel (RTA) is a rear-fed panel with high component retention, which makes it an ideal choice for high vibration environments including construction, agriculture, bus, recreational vehicles, heavy trucking equipment, etc. It is available in multiple lengths and internal bussing configurations. This allows for up to four separate power input circuits and 32 individual output circuits.
Specifications
Input terminal rating: 1/4-20 stud; quick-connect terminals provided on middle bus (Series 15713 & 714); 200A max total input for unit
Output terminal rating: 30A max load per circuit Temperature rating: -40°F (-40°C) to 260°F (125°C) Materials: UL 94 V-0 thermoplastic
Termination:
• Delphi Pack-Con® Series 3 & 5
• Input wire size: #4-6 AWG
• Output wire size: #10-16 AWG
• Torque Rating: 50 in-lbs max
• Mounting torque rating: #10-32 threaded inserts, 24 in-lbs max torque
Options
Positions: 8-32 circuits available
Split power: Single, dual, triple or quadruple bus options
Cover: Short cover for fuses only and taller cover for use with circuit breakers
Locks: Secondary locs available for securing of output terminals (#15710-TP - comes in multiples of 8 positions. Must order multiple strips to cover length of selected RTA).
Notes
• Consult Delphi distribution for availability
• For Series 15712, 15713 and 15714, there is a maximum total of 32 positions and must be in increments of 4.

The panel is a whole lot more accessible if it swings down and rearward, rather than down and forward.

I am using a VPX-pro integrated with a Bob Nukolis Z13/8 architecture.
I have no circuit breakers outside of the VPX, but do use the VPX to feed small sub-busses that are mounted to a swing down panel on the left side that hold automotive blade style fuses. There is no plan to access these in flight. The sub-busses are grouped by function and are only for non-critical items that I wanted to individually switch anyway. Everything else is fed directly from the VPX (or essentials buss as a backup)

So for example, the VPX feeds a circuit called interior lighting which is a sub-buss on the swing down panel at 10 amps total. The sub-buss feeds each individual light (overhead, panel, reading etc..) with a blade fuse sized for each item. The same thing for exterior lights.

I see no need to add any other system components as the VPX will do everything I need in one box.

The backbone of the electrical system is the Bob Nukolis Z13/8 from his book and includes single battery, dual alternator and essentials bus that bypasses everything connecting directly to the battery for critical ?get on the ground? items.

For details including pics, you can click the link to my build KitLog in my trailer

to add to Eric's last question. Can you easily drop down and access your breaker panel in flight, for some strange reason you needed too. Under most circumstances I would not mess with it in flight, but there is alway the one time you might be required too.

I'm not sure if the question of access is to me. I'll answer anyway. :D
It is accessed by a thumb screw under the front left of the panel and can be accessed quickly when needed, but most likely not be needed.

One of the nice features of the VPX is you can use it to measure current on each circuit setting appropriate fuse amps. If I ever blow a fuse, it will be due to a short rather than over current. That's not something I plan to fix in the air.

Use southco DZUS (1/4-turn) fasteners to hold it closed. The ones with the foldable d-ring work particularly well.

Although an older post, anybody have any recent pics of a drop down circuit breaker panel? I have about 10 extra CB's on my Aerosport panel in addition to the VPX and I'm organizing the panels CB's to be non-critical. I'd like to get them off the panel and onto a hidden or swing down panel.

Everybody seems to like DANH's solution but DAN's pics don't show/ aren't active on his pic host.

Do you have any you can share Dan? Or anybody else?

Thanks,
Rob

Back