What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

put a deposit on a RV-6A in Michigan, need ferry pilot and transition training

oneway

I put the deposit down this AM. looking for a qualified ferry pilot and transition trainer. the aircraft is in Gwinn, mi. I live in so. cal.
recommendations please!

Gwinn Michigan (Old K.I. Sawyer AFB) is not far from Oshkosh, with many RV pilots visiting Airventure next week your chances of finding someone who will ferry the plane back to California should be very positive.

GA

Kent Gorton just south of ATL at Mallard's Landing. A phenomenal instructor with the patience of a Saint.

Thanks for the timely replies. As if now I am still trying to work it out. I have contacted mike seager and Craig Vincent. Mike is not available until October.

I may be able to help - Give me a call this week sometime if you are interested - I'll be in OshKosh all week.
Thanks,Mike

im actually on vacation back where I grew up, about 10 minutes from SAW and will be headed back to SMF in about 2 days. Now if only I had a pilot medical and a current BFR :D

I had it worked out, with a CFI that I could log the time with, then we decided to change out the mechanical fuel pump prior to the cross country due to low fuel pressure indication.
Looks like about Aug 8th or so for the flight, but now CFI tied up, so....
Still trying to sort it out.
I did receive 2 hours logged dual with a CFI in the aircraft, and another 40 min flight with the owner. Sure would like to log the trip back as dual for a lower insurance premium.

I realized I needed to update the post. Thanks to Ron Lee, and all others who were willing to help with this relocation flight. due to scheduling, In the end I hired an ATP pilot who had plenty of time in the RV6 flying out of pioneer field. he knew the area well, and I knew the west coast, so it all worked out. we flew from Sawyer field, MI to Tehachapi CA. about 2 1/2 days, not pushing it at all.
great trip. great experience.
I must say that Las Vegas New Mexico was the most pilot unfriendly airport I have ever been to. couldn't get into the pilot lounge for tie down, pre brief the next day, even to use the rest room. no code to get in, no phone number to call. we even called the local PD and we were simply told "that building is closed".
looking in the windows and seeing a nice area to brief, with computer access, and restrooms without any way to access was aggravating. wonder why they built it in the first place.
other than that, every place we landed was super.... and I mean SUPER!!
airport cars, hangars available, and personal attention.
thanks again for all the guidance. If anyone needs a personal recommendation for a ferry/co pilot for a trip like this, please feel free to contact me. I was satisfied and impressed with my final choice, and I'll be happy to pass along the details.

RVCFI

Hi I am a 25 year RV CFI. I have done 40 first flights and delivered many others. I am an airline pilot so there is no need to pay for tickets. I am just one American Eagle flight to SAW. I can do it this weekend. 815-519-3087

Transition Training - Ferry

I give transition training in your aircraft or my glass cockpit RV-7.
Also ferry, inspect ( pre buy or condition) and can issue Certificates of Airworthiness in the Northwest. Please respond only to my e mail at [email protected]

Gary Brown
ATP A&P IA CFI DAR

Back