What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 vs RV-7 Which flies better?

schaplerrh

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm shopping for either a tail wheel -6 or -7. I know the price difference. I'd like to hear from those of you who have logged significant time in each.

Thank you,
Robert

Have some time in both. Can't say I noticed any more difference between a 6 and 7 than what I experienced between two 6's or two 7's.
That is to say, engine, weight and even stick length had more of a noticeable difference than the difference between models. Or maybe I am just not a good enough pilot to pick up any subtle difference between models.

But, I do think the build quality is more consistent with the -7's. Due to the pre punch.

Some time in both

Like Mike says --- subtle differences between planes, not so much between models. I settled on a -6A because I got so much more "bang for the bucks" -- (and really glad I did) --- now I need to win the lottery to get rid of the 20 yr old panel.

You need someone with some actual experience to chime in, but in the "for what it's worth" department...

I got about 9 hours in a -7 with Mike Seager prior to picking up the -6 I bought. Other than the constant speed vs fixed pitch prop, the differences between the two seemed small. I'd need to fly 'em back to back to really tell in detail. Although if I jumped into a -7 now that I have about 100 hours in type I'm sure some things would jump out at me. Unless it's a very late -6 or it's been upgraded it will have the shorter vertical/rudder assembly, but I don't think that will be a significant differance except in the area of spin recovery. My -6 is perhaps a bit lighter on the controls than the -7 I flew, but not much. I have the old style floor mounted rudder pedal assembly which has different geometery, especially for the brakes. Again, I think it would take some back to back comparison to tell more.

There is noticably more headroom in the -7, but seat cushions etc will of course affect that. I can say that I could sit higher in the -7 to improve vis on the ground than I am in the -6, and I never hit my head in the brief time I had in the -7. I can bump the canopy pretty easy in the -6.

-6's are a great bargain if you get a good one, and there are plenty of them out there. Obviously more room for build issues in the pre "pre-punched" kits.

Good luck in your search!

someone is going to say the RV 8 so I will just beat them to it and say it

full disclosure: i have never flown in an RV8

Having own both the 6 and the 7 I would say they are both very well behaved planes. The roll rate of the 6 is a bit faster than the 7. There is less Dutch roll in the 7 than the 6. The 7 will float a little more in ground effect than the 6. The spin rate in the 6 is very fast compared to the 7 and the 7 comes out of a spin faster probably due to the larger rudder. I would not recommend spinning the 6 unless you have lots of altitude and are good at spin recovery. The 7 has a bit more head room. Try them out both on the same day and pay very close attention to their flying characteristics if not you probably won't really notice too much difference.

The six............a hair lighter & sportier touch. Good feel to it! The 6,7, & 9 all feel the same in turbulence. It doesn't matter, as they all bounce around some. Oh.........the shorter vertical tail version of the 6 looks better too! :) As I remember, it's known as the Classic tail.

6 vs. 7 differences

I have 460+ 6a hours now and a couple three-four in a 7a. Seems to me the differences boil down to only two, neither of which I think is new information:

1) Those over 6' tall would benefit from the extra head and leg room in a 7 while those under 6' may prefer, as I do, the closer in feeling or the wear it like a glove approach. In flying the seven I frankly had a hard time telling the performance or handling difference between the 6 & 7 but the extra room made me think I was flying a souped up 172 - too much elbow room for me. I know, sounds funny but I don't want to fly a Buick, I prefer something more akin to a side by side RV4 that the RV6 was designed to provide. I like the six better. I know, I'm biased, I'm building a second one.

2) The 6 has a slightly smaller VS and there can be some yaw in rolling turbulence associated with strong winds over low altitude terrain. I have found this mostly when flying low level (2-4K AGL) over gently rolling hills or uneven geography with winds over 20kts. This sort of terrain is present throughout much of the area 5-20 miles surrounding California's great central valley, i.e. the foothills. Although this is easily handled by applying even rudder pedal pressure as opposed to trying to work the yawing, some may find the larger VS on a 7 a little more forgiving. Having flown many times over the alps between Redding, CA and Southern Oregon to points North requiring altitudes of 9.5K to 11.5K the smaller VS has never been an issue at high altitudes even with turbulence...only at lower levels. I have no explanation for this, only my anecdotal experience

Just my two cents.

someone is going to say the RV 8 so I will just beat them to it and say it

full disclosure: i have never flown in an RV8

:p I've flown both and it's not true. The 8 is easier to fly (well, land) and sitting on the centerline has it's advantages, but the 8's got much more dutch roll / tail wagging in turbulence than the 6 with short tail. As far as claiming one RV model flies "best" I'd have to give that title to the RV-4 because you sit on the centerline plus the roll axis passes right thru your belly since you're lower into the seat, and the control harmony is perfect and yes I've flown the 4 too.

Now someone will come along and say that the RV-3 flies better! :D

If you don't want to do acro, take a look at the -9. Although there aren't many TW 9's out there.

For a deflated price you get a new plane with a new panel that is the same size as the -7.

Yup! :)

Once you have flown a -3, you'll understand...

I figured you couldn't resist taking that bait, Paul. :D

Seriously, between the 6 and 7, the difference
between the two is slim, and should be decided
by the intended mission. I've owned my 6 now for
2 years and I've only got a handful of time in a 7
but I have to admit the 6 feels nimbler but the 7 is
better at hauling more stuff and more weight on longer
trips. The 6 is touchier to land smoothly, but I think I like
it better because it fits me and my typical mission better.
I'm short and don't need the extra head/leg room of the 7.
I sometimes wish I had 42 gallons of fuel instead of only
38 but it's only 1/2 hour difference. I think I might like the
higher max gross weight, but I could always edit that with
paperwork if I really wanted to. The 6 has a lower Vne than
the 7 and I can bump up against Vne in level cruise at lower
altitudes with only 160hp but racers routinely blow past Vne
for sustained periods in short tail 6's all the time. So basically
it should boil down to only this: if you're building one, the 6
has been discontinued so you can only buy 7 kits now. If you're
buying an already flying plane, get whichever is the best one
you can find and afford... but having said that, the short tail 6
sliders are definitely the most beautiful between the 6 & 7, no argument allowed! :D

IMG_7318.JPG

Last edited:
Back