What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot and AOA

jacksel

Well Known Member
The RV-7 drawings show the pitot tube routing running down the aft side of the left front spar. I assume from there it must penetrate the spar bulkhead in the fuselage at one of the designated spar bulkhead holes and work it's way up to the panel. I am planning to install a G3X pitot/AOA and I'm thinking this may not be the best way to route the 2 tubes. There's only 4 holes in the spar bulkhead, the 2 at the center tunnel and 2 outboard. With all the antennae cables and other wiring which must be run, I guess I'm a little skeptical about also running the pitot and AOA tubes. I'm thinking about running both on the forward side of the spar (as on my RV-6) and entering the fuselage about where the fuel line enters. I'm really curious how most people are handling the routing of the pitot tube.

same question

i have the same question but also ask i'm working on the center section of the fusaloge and the drawing tell you to drill a large hole in the fusalage for a snap in bushing were the pitot tube goes into the fusaloge but with all the bends the line would make to get to the panel wouldn't a balkhead fitting be better to put here?

Pitot, static, and A of A tube routing

I faced this same issue in my 7a QB with a Dynon Skyview ADAHRS mounted in the rear fuselage, and back-up analog gauges up front. The standard plans did not anticipate have to run three pneumatic lines from front to rear.

I routed two of the lines front to rear per Van's plans for the original static line, and the third line through the outboard spar pass through hole provided by the factory. I am working on my next project, and will improve this by:
1. - foregoing analog back-up gauges; I don't fly in IMC, and can land the plane if the panel quits. GPS provides close enough information for altitude
2. - use electric trim, which will free up the space required for manual trim cable
3. - place additional runs under the floor boards which I could not do on the QB version without drilling out a lot of rivets

Jay

Back