What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BRS parachutes

Greg Arehart

Well Known Member
Well, I got the postcard in the mail today from BRS and apparently they now have chutes available for the RV7 & 9. I tried the website to see what the cost is, but they want you to call. Anybody called to find out what the price is? Or the weight?

Greg

This months "Flying" magazine has an article, including installation pics.
Kit listed as $10,849. Deploys out of right side of fuselage, behind the wing. Doesn't list the weight.

Have they ever actually tested the RV installation? If I was going to plunk down $10k, add 45lbs of weight, and goober up the exterior of the aircraft with fairings for the shrouds etc, I would at least want to know that the design is proven to work.

As of this past summer, it was untested and it was all theory.

Have they ever actually tested the RV installation?
Testing the BRS in-flight means being willing to write-off the airframe. I doubt this has been done.

When I decided to buy a BRS-equipped non-RV aircraft many years ago, the fact that it saved a flight test pilot that pulled the wings off in a 8g pull around VNE was a plus.

TODR

Testing the BRS in-flight means being willing to write-off the airframe. I doubt this has been done.

I don't doubt you're right - talking with them (I'm based at KSGS where BRS is located) they had tested other airframes but had not tested the RV installation because of cost concerns.

Well, I got the postcard in the mail today from BRS and apparently they now have chutes available for the RV7 & 9. I tried the website to see what the cost is, but they want you to call. Anybody called to find out what the price is? Or the weight?

Greg

My bud has one that has never been used. He was going to install it in an EZ but changed hid mind. Send me a PM if you are interested.

another example

Here's another way to do it so that you don't have to have all the cables outside the airframe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaU9PnXU1Pc

1bqh3JC.png

I looked at their design earlier this year as they were developing it. They have done as nice a job as you can fairing the exterior risers into the airframe - a clever paint job would make them disappear. The downside will always be the weight and CG issues. I did a quick calculation based on our -6, and you might as well put it in the baggage compartment because you'd only have a plane for two people and fuel anyway. On the other hand, if you absolutely HAVE to have a BRS in order to have the airplane, it looks like a good compromise. I think there is a small market for them.

Isn't there a life limit on either the 'chute packing or the rocket motor? I seem to recall some recurring costs...

Isn't there a life limit on either the 'chute packing or the rocket motor? I seem to recall some recurring costs...

For the Flight Design CT the chute needs a repack every 6 years ($846) and the rocket motor has a life of 12 years. I'm not sure if the rocket needs to be replaced or just recertified. The BRS in Cirrus has a 10 year repack (I think) and I'm not sure about the rocket. I don't know why the difference since they are from the same company.

Installation kit

BRS will sell you the installation kit for $3400 then you can pay the balance for the chute and rocket when you get closer to flying.

Possible location of parachute under seats?

I watched the video several time because I was not sure if it was real or an RC plane. The comment about the BRS being in the tail made me think. The wires attach to the tail, but does the parachute need to be there too? It looks like a good place to attach - very strong on that axis. Maybe mount a pod under the seats with the cables to the tail section? You would have to keep it from getting too hot from the exhaust but that should be able to be worked out.

Just an idea from a non engineer building a 9A that would like to have a BRS on my plane!

My theory is that the parachute on the Rans in the video was not in the tail but got wrapped around the tail when it deployed due to the airplane (minus the left wing) rolling.

I watched the video several time because I was not sure if it was real or an RC plane. The comment about the BRS being in the tail made me think. The wires attach to the tail, but does the parachute need to be there too? It looks like a good place to attach - very strong on that axis. Maybe mount a pod under the seats with the cables to the tail section? You would have to keep it from getting too hot from the exhaust but that should be able to be worked out.

Just an idea from a non engineer building a 9A that would like to have a BRS on my plane!

A BRS is only nice to have when you need it. And, it has saved lives. But, I flew 42 years without one and, now 7 years with one.

Other than a mid-air, will someone like me even think to use it. There is the law of primacy which says you revert to first learned actions when in a true emergency. For many of us that means we try to land, and hopefully save, the aircraft. Which as Cirrus is now preaching (I think) the wrong response in most situations.

Another Company Getting into the Airframe Recovery Parachute Business

I understand that there is another company getting (back*) into the airframe recovery parachute business. I believe that they are in the process of testing a system that will be useful in the LSA community.

http://www.secondchantz.com/index.html

* Long story

A BRS is only nice to have when you need it. And, it has saved lives. But, I flew 42 years without one and, now 7 years with one.

Other than a mid-air, will someone like me even think to use it. There is the law of primacy which says you revert to first learned actions when in a true emergency. For many of us that means we try to land, and hopefully save, the aircraft. Which as Cirrus is now preaching (I think) the wrong response in most situations.

I had one of those moments, I'm going to die this second" on my motorcycle after 45 years of riding, and nothing serious. Obviously I lived, but the fatality rate for my type of accident is 87%.

It's the same with the BRS. Hopefully you'll never need it. But if you do, you might not have to go down with the ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have any control

over where you're going to come down like with a regular chute? I sure would hate to survive a structural failure or a midair only to come down in the middle of the railroad tracks in front of a freight train. Wasn't there a event near Indy years ago where the pilot pulled the BRS and they floated down to land in a lake and were all drowned?

over where you're going to come down like with a regular chute? I sure would hate to survive a structural failure or a midair only to come down in the middle of the railroad tracks in front of a freight train. Wasn't there a event near Indy years ago where the pilot pulled the BRS and they floated down to land in a lake and were all drowned?

Here is the news article on the crash. The pilot was incapacitated and a family member pulled the chute. The pilot did not make it but his family did.

My understanding is that you have no control over where you will come down once the chute is deployed. The instructions on my plane, and probably on the Cirrus, say shut the engine off then deploy. Unless I had a structural failure and provided the engine is still running, I would want to see if the chute deployed before shutting down the engine.

There have been discussions about using the engine under canopy to have some control over where you come down but that seems to be discouraged. Apparently it could set up a pendulum motion and make the impact worse. I would prefer not to find out.

Good site with parachute deployment data

This is a page on the Cirrus owners web site that documents every parachute deployment in the Cirrus.

www.cirruspilots.org/Content/CAPSHistory.aspx

It's interesting how low some of the deployments were made and still had successful outcomes. Of course there are several low deployments that did not work. The other factor is the airspeed envelope and I'm not sure what that is for the RV system.

Impact or RV9a W&B

I got the moment and weight from BRS for the 9a.

Wt is 44.48 lb. and moment is 142.83

The result on my RV9a would move the CG empty back 2.65 inches. That is kind of a big deal. While in most situations I would not be loaded aft of CG limits, it would change the flight characteristics in all configurations. With my wife and I we could still go to 75 lb baggage, but utility might be compromised. often I fly with people a lot heavier than my 175 lb. Normal empty CG is at 76.42. With BRS at 79.07

Aircraft Weight and Balance

Builder John S. Oliveira Date 30-Dec-11
Model Vans RV-9a Registration N709RV
Gross Weight 1750 lbs. Serial Number 90054
FWD CG Limit 77.95 Aft CG Limit 84.84
Datum is 70 inches forward of wing leading edge
Aircraft wieghed with 8 qts oil, no fuel

Empty Weight and CG Weight (lb.) Arm (in.) Moment (in,lb.)
Right Wheel 391 91.675 35,845
Left Wheel 398 91.5 36,417
Nose Wheel 282 34 9,588
BRS Chute 44.48 142.83 6,353
Total 1115.48 88,203
Empty CG of Aircraft 79.07 Inches aft of Datum

Back