What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cliff Dwellers Lodge - Grand Canyon

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Keeping with the "magic carpet" aspect of light aircraft ownership, we decided to take a weekend tour of Arizona. With stops in the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Scottsdale, our first stop was to the Cliff Dwellers Lodge at the northeast end of the big ditch. They have a private, dirt strip nearby the lodge (AZ03) which worked out well. Considering the recent heavy rains, the strip was a little sloppy and I would consider it right on the limit for the small tires of the RV, but with a few dry days, should be no problem for any model RV. As it was, we sunk the tail wheel right to the axle in the soft ground and certainly carried some mud home in the wheel pants.

The lodge itself is best described as "rustic" but clean. If you are looking for robes, turn down service and chocolates on the pillow at night, go elsewhere. That said, the staff is typical "salt of the earth" friendly, and the location is spectacular. It has been a long time since I've experienced quiet like this. Once settled in, we had an excellent lunch at the on site restaurant and then took a long hike in the nearby wash to burn off the calories. The hike was easy, and as typical of this area, the sights breathtaking. We returned to our room in late afternoon to grab a drink on the front porch and watch the nearby mesa turn colors as the sun set. Dinner at the restaurant followed sunset, and we settled in for stargazing in the way only being in the middle of nowhere can provide. A peaceful night ensued, and this morning we found the strip in better shape for our launch to Sedona.

Overall, we found the place a great adventure and will be back. If any of you are planning on heading this way, I highly recommend an overnight stay. The strip is a bit sketchy, but Marble Canyon and Page are just a few miles away if you don't like what you see. But landing at Cliff Dwellers is part of the adventure, so give it consideration.

2v1l15v.jpg

Tied down at AZ03 looking Northwest - no chocks required because the tires are sunk 3 inches into the rain soaked dirt.

2i0w0v7.jpg

View from our front porch looking Southeast. The setting sun and alcohol contribute to the warm glow.

2v8hjrq.jpg

Obligatory shot of the big ditch at 10,000.

Last edited:
It looks like a nice spot Michael. The airport is listed as private permission required. Did you get an OK somehow?

Yep, a quick call to the airport manager, Steve, is all it takes. I called him the day before and the morning of the the flight because the conditions were so up to the minute. When we arrived, I found him working the runway with the tractor (as warned), so a quick buzz job let him know we were there.

Marble Canyon Lodge

Last year four of us dropped from the RAF weekend at Ryan Field in Montana to Marble Canon Lodge, which is just a bit NE from where you were. Spectacular scenery in a "very rustic" motel. Cash in advance, no phone, etc. But right across from the airstrip, breathtaking scenery, and I wold go there again in a heartbeat!!

Last year four of us dropped from the RAF weekend at Ryan Field in Montana to Marble Canon Lodge, which is just a bit NE from where you were. Spectacular scenery in a "very rustic" motel. Cash in advance, no phone, etc. But right across from the airstrip, breathtaking scenery, and I wold go there again in a heartbeat!!

Unfortunately, the trading post store and restaurant went up in flames, mid June. I don't know the status of the lodge rental units.

where's the runway?

Keeping with the "magic carpet" aspect of light aircraft ownership, we decided to take a weekend tour of Arizona. With stops in the Grand Canyon, Sedona and Scottsdale, our first stop was to the Cliff Dwellers Lodge at the northeast end of the big ditch. They have a private, dirt strip nearby the lodge (AZ03) which worked out well.

Michael, where is the runway? I took.a look at the place in Google Earth but can't find a runway. There is something that looks like it might be a runway but it had a bunch of cars at one end, it's that it?

Thanks for posting this, definitely a place I'm adding to my bucket list.

Michael, where is the runway? I took.a look at the place in Google Earth but can't find a runway...

The runway is about a half mile South of the hotel, on the other side of the highway. In Google Maps, you should see a Cessna tied down.

Size is everything...

Yep, a quick call to the airport manager, Steve, is all it takes. I called him the day before and the morning of the the flight because the conditions were so up to the minute. When we arrived, I found him working the runway with the tractor (as warned), so a quick buzz job let him know we were there.

Mike,
The AK Bushwheel "Big Tire mod" helps alot with soft turf and mud with no performance loss with a 25% larger footprint. The 380X150X5 Aero Classic's are a huge improvement over 500X5's in mud, especially down here in the swamp lately, 27" of rain since July, never a dull landing...

FYI...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=27980

V/R
Smokey

PS: Sorry I couldn't buy your Hiperbipe right now, sure like it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up Smokey - Bigger tires sure would have been better in this situation but not required normally. This strip saw almost a years worth of rain in the week before our arrival so it was unusually soft. In most cases the ground would be more like cured concrete. To top it off, I landed on the rough first part of the runway (to the NE) rather than going to midfield and landing on the pool table smooth surface found there. On departure we went mid field and the surface was beautiful.

Back