What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stein came through

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
qble.jpg

I received this teaser photo from Doyle at Stein. My goal was no switches on the panel. All my switches (except master caution test) are on the custom side consoles. The consoles are the handiwork of master builder and Oshkosh award winning builder Jim Gray. I'm gunna have to go to school on this!

the master caution light are (left to right):
Oil Press
CO detected
P-mag switch in test position
Fuel boost pump
Aux fuel transfer
Smoke System Armed

Dual ADAHARS
Dual magnetometer's
Dual backup battery
GTN 650
PAR 100EX
GDL 39
GTX 23 ES transponder

tozg.png

87i6.jpg

Last edited:
If I was only this close. I just bent my aileron skins an hour ago. The panel looks amazing, I bet you are itching to get that clecoed in and powered up.

please tell us about your annunciator panel. I think it looks very sharp. Did Stein make that for you too?

please tell us about your annunciator panel. I think it looks very sharp. Did Stein make that for you too?

I supplied the backing plate and lights. Stein now carries the lights in his inventory (I think) The backing plate matches the side switch engraved panels. Doyle Stole at Stein built the annunciator panel and was a pleasure to work with. It took 11 diodes because I wanted a test circuit and some systems supply ground, some power and some both (P-mag test)

Last edited:
Do you get one of those complimentary Steinair calendars from the background with your order?:D

Instead of the calendar and T shirt I was hoping for a 3 piece suit..... but then I realized I don't wear suits.... I'll take the T-shirt

Given today's options, it's hard to beat that panel. I am years away from that stage but if I were choosing now it would be very similar. Very nice!

Go ahead and tell us the cost! :D

If we had "lagged" around for for a few more years, this stuff would have been available for us!

Tell Marry not to fret, Beth's been driving the same car for 10 years now... sure helps pay the 100LL bill every month.

LOOKS GREAT BOB! See you at OSH??

Real nice! Stein tells me I have a box of goodies in the hopper waiting for my production slot, seeing this is exciting! :D

Do you get one of those complimentary Steinair calendars from the background with your order?:D

:eek: Would you believe that comes from one of the wire mfgrs?! Now you see why we photoshop out the backgrounds in all of those online pictures! We try not to openly offend anyone, but we also aren't high on the Political Correctness thing either.... :)

Lost of the G3X systems got backed up due to shipping delays in equipment from Garmin, but the floodgates are opening and the piles are stacking up! Now we just have to get caught up.

Cheers,
Stein

Side panels/armrests

Did rick grey make those for you? I would love to get my hands on templates or have whoever make some for my plane. They solve the problem of reaching around the corner for the throttle.

Dave

:Now you see why we photoshop out the backgrounds in all of those online pictures! We try not to openly offend anyone, but we also aren't high on the Political Correctness thing either.... :)
Cheers,
Stein

So I will take the heat..... Thats not really there.......I photoshopped that in.....
(got your back Stein)

WOW!

Bob that looks completely awesome. Was also not aware that the switch panels on the sides were Jim's creation. be prepared for me to bombard you with questions some day because I really like your layout. As for the avionics......hmmmm...... Garmin.......GRT......Garmin.....GRT..... sort of a love me, love me not scenario, if ya know what I mean. In the mean time, back and forth I go, while trying to keep up with the ADS-B bouncing ball.......:D

Speaking of the "arm rest" mod....is it really necessary? How many switches to you intend to have? wouldn't the normal configuration supply enough real estate for those things? Reason I'm asking is I really like the panel and the uncluttered look but I am in no mood for any more mods...:eek:

Speaking of the "arm rest" mod....is it really necessary? How many switches to you intend to have? wouldn't the normal configuration supply enough real estate for those things? Reason I'm asking is I really like the panel and the uncluttered look but I am in no mood for any more mods...:eek:

You asked if the side consoles are necessary and the answer is no. Most of what we do in life is not necessary... But life at the margin would be bleak. Jim Gray is a master builder and friend who offered to build them for free. He put over 150 hrs in them. Take a close look at the curve around the throttle..... its a masterpiece. There are many custom brackets and custom built angles. He did it because he's a friend and for the pure joy of building. The consoles weigh 1.75 lbs total for both, but I got to eliminate the original Vans "side stuff" so I figure they cost me .75 lbs increase in weight. Well worth it to satisfy my esthetic itch developed by spending 34+ years flying military tactical aircraft.

Ahh. Maybe my question came out a bit wrong. I don't disagree the workmanship is stellar and the throttle quadrant is a work of art. If they were available to me i would have them. I was just trying to see if my desire to have a clean panel like this one would have me trying to modify my own side consoles. My personal experience with mods are OK at best so I try to avoid them unless its a must have.

I thought you might be increasing the console real estate out of necessity to fit the switches. How many will you install by the way?

Side consoles

Just to set the record straight, the inspiration for those side consoles came from Lyle Hefel, multiple RV builder with many big OSH awards. He is the true master builder, the rest of us pale in comparison!

Jim Gray
N747JG RV-8

How many switches to you intend to have? wouldn't the normal configuration supply enough real estate for those things?

Tony, my first reply sounds cranky..... Not my intent. Face to face with a beer in hand makes it easier to communicate. To answer your question I have 19 switches plus one CO status light located off-panel. Many are dual function switches; landing + wag, pitot heat OR seat heat (these consume up to 15 amps each which is individually 25% of my alternator capacity so I did not want them both on at the same time drawing up to 30 amps).

recently got the sided console switch plates back from the engraver

431z.jpg

Left console mock-up

z2ji.jpg

Left console plate

f9cv.jpg

Right console plate

Last edited:
Back