What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's your favorite aviation book?

Unbroken

Well I ordered it - it is new. I thought the book Seabisquit by the author was outstanding and this book (Unbroken) was recommended here so it is worth trying.

Bob Axsom

Unbroken

Well I ordered it - it is new. I thought the book Seabisquit by the author was outstanding and this book (Unbroken) was recommended here so it is worth trying.

Bob Axsom

Bob, I'm quite interested to hear your review of Unbroken. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Just keep in mind that the story is not so much about flying. It is about the human will to survive. I couldn't put it down for long...

Enjoy,

The Bishops Boys

If you really want to get to the roots of Home Building "The Bishops Boys" by Tom Crouch can't be beat. As a Smithsonian Air and Space Curator Tom has covered the Wright Brother?s story from cartel to grave. A very good read

Spitfire Women of World War 2

This book written by Giles Whittell ISBN 978-0-00-723536-0 is about the women pilots of the Air Transport Auxiliary. They with their male conterparts were charged with ferrying all RAFand US Airforce planes arround Britain and eventually mainland Europe during the second world war. Twenty five Ameriacn women pilots led by Jacqueline Cochran also joined the ATA. The books is a very good read and I am sure anyone interested in WW2 and aviation wont be disappointed.

Nimitz

When I read Doug's editorial about his son reporting on Nimitz as his project it reminded me of the book published in the 70s I think by the Naval Institute Press (I remember years by where I was working - when I bought it I was working on F-15 or the startup of the F-18 in St. Louis - transfered to Huntington Beach in 1978). I'm not at home now so I can't get the publication details. It is 574 pages long in the main body plus many pages of detailed index, etc. and it covers his life from a boy in Texas until he died (in California I believe - could be wrong). It focuses on the war in the Pacific and it gives details of the war and actions of the major military heads including the first application of carrier based air power in a battleship minded Navy. It was one of the finest books I have read - probably a little long for Doug's son to read now but maybe someday. It is simply entitled "Nimitz."

Bob Axsom

P.S. The author is E.B. Potter.

Last edited:
If you really want to get to the roots of Home Building "The Bishops Boys" by Tom Crouch can't be beat. As a Smithsonian Air and Space Curator Tom has covered the Wright Brother’s story from cartel to grave. A very good read
I'll second that! Every pilot and especially home builders should read the Wright Bros story and the Bishops Boys is excellent!

Just Finished "Unbroken"

I never read anything like it before - "Unbroken" is unforgetable. It is not for wimps. Thanks for the recomendations.

Bob Axsom

Unbroken & Lost in Shangri-La

Thanks Bob, ordered "Unbroken" and the Amazon recommended "Lost in Shangri-La".

Will report further.

Pete.

What a Story

I never read anything like it before - "Unbroken" is unforgetable. It is not for wimps. Thanks for the recomendations.

Bob Axsom

Top Notch! Glad you enjoyed it. It IS an unbelievable story. Absolutely amazing what the human body/spirit can endure... He is still alive today, really something.

Scott

In the same vein as Unbroken, but not aviation related, is:-
A Fortunate Life (ISBN: 0140081674 / 0-14-008167-4)
by A.B. Facey

John

2 No one has mentioned yet

Inside the Sky - a Meditation on Flight (by William Langewiesche / the son, not the father); and The Right Stuff (by Tom Wolfe)

A new one.

"The Few" is about the few guys who volunteered to help defend England in spite of the U.S.'s "neutrality" laws. The copywright is 2006, by Alex Kershaw....a very good read.

Best,

"The Wartime Journals of Charles A. Lindbergh" is a great insight of the period of 1938 - 1945 from the day to day journals of Lindbergh. It is very readable not boring at all. Out of print but Amazon always has copies.
"American Patriot" by Robert Coram Story of Medal of Honor winner Col. Bud Day. Great story of a true hero. He spent several years as a POW in Vietnam and John McCain credits him with saving his life. Well written and a book you can't put down.
"Lost in Tibet" by Starks and Murcutt True story of a LB30 crew flying the Hump in WWII blown off course and ending up in Tibet. Another can't put down.
"Lindbergh" by A. Scott Berg Best biography of Lindbergh I have read. Goes into a lot of the Medical and Scientific accomplishments as well as the flying. Great read if you are interested in Lindbergh.

Kelly: More Than My Share of It All

I am a slow methodical reader but given enough time even a slow reader accumulates a lot of cherished books. I saw this one recommended in this thread and having worked in aerospace for 50 years, of course I had heard of Kelly Johnson of the Lockheed Skunk Works fame so I decided it was time to read his book. I ordered it through Amazon.com as a used book. In time it came and I was out of new books so I started reading it right away. Like I said I worked in the business for a long time and sometimes in conjunction with Lockheed or later Lockheed Martin but I was not a swooning fan of Kelly Johnson or the company - they were just the competition or a partner in a project (and one time an agonizing disappointment).

This book is added to my collection as one of my personal favorites. If you are interested in reading of great piloting and/or combat experiences you will not find them in this book. This book is about developing airplanes from a personal inside point of view from a man who lead the effort and made it happen. I see apparent flaws in his thinking, I do not agree with the Skunk Works approach without reservation because I have seen the failures of this approach when applied without great personnel with the right talent applied in the right way from top to bottom. That very stirring of emotion and object oriented thought is at least part of the validity of this book. There is a very personal exposure of the man and his life as well, although it is brief, it is moving.

One bonus I found in my personal copy is C. L Kelly Johnson's personal signature on the title page in the book. I had to check the back side of the page to verify the indention of the signature to verify that it was real. I never thought of autographs in a book as anything special but when I think that at one instant in this great man's life he spent it writing his name right here in my book where I am looking at it right now 21 years after his death - well it just takes on a special significance.

Peter in Australia, you need to read this one if you haven't already.

Bob Axsom

Skunk Works

This 350 page book is a very good supplement to "Kelly" because it gives a different perspective and many personal inputs on Kelly Johnson, Ben R. Rich, the Lockheed Skunk Works, their products and the political & military environment they dealt with. Several times I got bogged down and had to brute force my way through parts that I just got tired of reading but I found it worth the effort.

Bob Axsom

Kelly Stuff

Bob,
'Skunk Works' is brilliant.
'More than my share of it' has just arrived, but I am still in the midst of "Nimitz". You know I am an Aussie, not an anAmerican, but if I was, Nimitz would make me very proud. It's not an aviation book, but a wonderful insight into want American initiative can do when the stakes are high.
Meanwhile, over a glass of red I am flirting with "Flying the SR-71 Blackbird'.
looks very promising. Will reoprt further
Meanwhile, WingmanCam.com is surging.

Regards,

Pete.

Nimitz

I have it as a prized book in my collection. I read it in the mid 70's and it still stirs memories. One could make a case for it as an aviation book at the macro level since it covers the development of carrier aircraft utilization as decisions were made during the war in the Pacific during WWII. I visited his home town in Texas years after I read the book - because I had read the book.

Glad to hear about wingmancam.

Bob Axsom

Funny book

I am currently reading "Moondog's Academy of the Air and other Disasters" by Pete Fusco. Recommended by a couple of guys I met at AirVenture. Very funny book about a guy working his way up through the ranks to fly for the majors. I wonder if Doug Reeves got the name for the family dog from this book. One of the guys who told me about it said it was "laugh out loud funny". I agree.

Skunk Works and Flight

I read "Skunk Works" and I agree, it is a good book. It complements "Kelly" very well. I was surprised to read that a SR-71 landed where I was stationed long ago at what used to be called K-2 Air Base. I'n sure that got everyone's attention.

I am currently nearing the end of "Fight: My Life in Mission Control" by Chris Kraft. Even though I worked directly on Mercury there were things I learned that were real jaw droppers for me. On Gemini I was a foreman in the Electronic Equipment Division and all we did was make a converter (flight electronic box) for it so the inside operations information was all new to me. I had NO IDEA how significant that project was and its facilitating effect on the timely success of Apollo. Chris Kraft probably is not a person I would like to work with because of a lot of personality vibes that just seem wrong but he tells it as he lived it and much of it is not pretty. I knew John Yardley personally and Kraft's description of the encounters with him through page 277 (where I currently am in the book) seem reasonable - just for calibration. When he calls someone out as an incompetent or otherwise undesirable person to be working in the manned space program including one of the original 7 astronauts I have to believe it. At this point in the book Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee have just been burned to death in Apollo testing - a very sad time and low point in the US Manned Space program. I usually read late at night and this book is one that I have no difficulty picking up exactly where I left off in the time line and the intensity level. I look forward to the next 78 pages.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Flight: My Life in Mission Control by Chris Kraft

Astronauts.jpg

This is my copy of a photo of the original 7 astronauts given to all McDonnell Aircraft employees one day during the Mercury Project. While reading Flight ... by Chris Kraft I found it very interesting to refer to it. The photo was taken in front of a full size display of the Mercury Capsule with the escape tower attached, outside of building 102 (when it was still two stories) by the fountain.

I underlined several passages in this book on p.139 I underlined Shepard's response "Roger Liftoff and the clock is started" and added that's my clock:
OTDMercury.jpg

I inspected the detail build up, final assembly and I independently ran the several hour long functional & final acceptance test before delivery to the Cape. Pretty heady stuff for a young guy.

Then on p.249 after Chris Kraft described the lavish provision on food, booze and women by North American in conjunction with their early Apollo Management Meetings, "I do know that I'd never seen anything like this from the McDonnell people in St. Louis, where the entertainment highlight of a management meeting might be a boxed lunch in a conference room with Mr MAC himself." I added "YES!." Maybe you had to work there when J.S. McDonnell ran the company to fully appreciate the significance of the statement - it was a very good time.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
"FIGHTER PILOT" - ROBIN OLDS

Non fiction. You are in the cockpit with Air Force Ace Robin Olds from WWII to Vietnam. He pulls no punches, in the air or on the ground. Best book I've read in a long time....

I read a pretty good one about Skylab a long time ago, and can't seem to find it on the bookshelf right now. It was probably "A House in Space" by Cooper.

There's an excellent book from an American who worked on MIR. This one is more recent, called "Off the Planet" by Linenger. It's a very good book.

Dave

aviation books - best of

"Flights of Passage", Samuel Hynes (captures perfectly the feeling of being an aviator in 1944-45, a young man coming of age during the end of the global conflagration)

"Tumult in the Clouds", James Goodson (Delves into the amazing characters of the men/boys of the famous 4th FG. He actually knew J.G. Magee, and first saw the "High Flight" poem pinned on a hanger wall at an RAF training station)

Air Disaster (Vol. 1) (978-1875671113): Macarthur Job
and Volumes 2 and 3.
Excellent clinical analysis of airline accidents from around the world by a world renown safety analyst/writer, but written in such a way as to be difficult to put down.
John

Fighter Pilot - Robin Olds

Just wanted to thank everyone for recommending this book.. I'm almost done and it has to be one of my favorite books of all time.. I can't help but think about his escapades in WWII/Korea and how they apply to our current obsession with improving safety in the community. Robin would have the crew chief walk him through the start procedures for a new aircraft and just jump in go.. w/o knowing approach speeds, stall characteristics, limitations, and sometimes how to work the radios, etc.. Those guys would have to figure it out and adjust, more often than not testing these aircraft limitations in actual combat (ie, finding out the hard way a P-38 will tuck its nose and lose total elevator authority in a steep dive approaching Mach 1). If a guy has one bad rivet in his bird these days he gets reemed for it in the online community. ;)

Non fiction. You are in the cockpit with Air Force Ace Robin Olds from WWII to Vietnam. He pulls no punches, in the air or on the ground. Best book I've read in a long time....

Homesteading Space: The Skylab Story - Final Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Axsom
I worked on Skylab for around 7 months as the MDAC-E resident rep at Eagle Picher in Joplin, MO for the development, fabrication, test and acceptance of the large NiCad batteries in the Airlock Module for power on the dark side. So after reading a couple of books leading up to the point in time when Skylab became the US space program I thought I would find something covering the Skylab project. I went to Amazon and ordered Homesteading Space: the Skylab Story by David Hitt, Owen Garriott and Joe Kerwin, copyrighted in 2008. It is 517 pages long and it has no detail index at the back that would make it useful as a reference book. I am only on page 88 and it is so directionless that I can only force myself to read a couple of pages at a time. It is like a committee collected information from various sources and organized it chronologically and published it. I will read it because I worked on the project but I think I made a poor choice - there must be a better book covering the Skylab Project. I will update this in a few months when I finish the book (hopefully).

Bob Axsom
9-28-11 now on page 307 and the feeling is much the same but at least it is out of the MSFC back patting phase and is into the second crew part of the mission. I can only read a couple of pages at a time but I recognize the value of the content and appreciate the effort made to get it in print - it's just hard to read. Once during a design review on a much later project a board member stated that the project needed to review the flight operational failure causes of several prior missions flown by the US, Russia and Japan and to present the results of the investigation to the operations personnel to make them aware of the past failures in an effort to avoid similar mistakes. If no one documents this stuff in any form it is impossible to do such research. The project for which this was done had the lowest command error rate of any mission being flown in the three plus years it was flying. The book has value but it is not overly enjoyable.

I will keep reading and update later.

Finished - I may be the only private citizen that has read the whole thing. The latter part of the book is better but it is a hard read. The part covering the third crew is OK, the Science chapter is better and Alan Bean's transcribed notes from his private inflight log is even a little better. It is a limited view from the inflight operational side of the space project and I am predjudiced a little against that shallow view. However, I have a much better appreciation of the project that I had when it flew back in 1973.

Bob Axsom

Best Aviation Books

Anything by Ernest K. Gann
God is my Co-Pilot by Robert Scott
Flight of the Intruder and Intruders by Stephen Coonts

Not necessarity a strictly aviation book, but the biography of John Boyd, arguably the best fighter pilot of the modern era.

The Last Explorer by Simon Nasht

This book details the life and almost unbelievable exploits of the Australian, Sir Hubert Wilkins and includes lots of amazing aviating.

In particular he was the first to conceive of, and use aircraft in the polar regions.
With Ben Eielson ( American Aviation Hall of Fame) as the pilot they were the first to fly an aircraft (Lockheed Vega) over the Arctic Ice Cap from Point Barrow to Norway. Wilkins was a superb navigator and managed to navigate directly to their destination through thunderstorms and blizzards using dead reckoning and sextant sightings and with the compass shifting through more than 300 degrees of magnetic variation. The American Geographical Society described this as a "feat in navigation which can be confidently declared unparalleled in the history of flying".

He had lots of other "Firsts" in aviation but aviation was only part of this incredible man's life. For instance he was held in high regard by the American Military. In 1959 the nuclear powered submarine Skate became the first submarine to surface at the Pole, where it held a memorial service and scattered the ashes of the Australian, Sir Hubert Wilkins.

See Amazon Books for a brief description and reader reviews.

Fin
9A

Last edited:
Just Ordered My Copy - Thanks

The Last Explorer by Simon Nasht

This book details the life and almost unbelievable exploits of the Australian, Sir Hubert Wilkins and includes lots of amazing aviating.

In particular he was the first to conceive of, and use aircraft in the polar regions.
With Ben Eielson ( American Aviation Hall of Fame) as the pilot they were the first to fly an aircraft (Lockheed Vega) over the Arctic Ice Cap from Point Barrow to Norway. Wilkins was a superb navigator and managed to navigate directly to their destination through thunderstorms and blizzards using dead reckoning and sextant sightings and with the compass shifting through more than 300 degrees of magnetic variation. The American Geographical Society described this as a "feat in navigation which can be confidently declared unparalleled in the history of flying".

He had lots of other "Firsts" in aviation but aviation was only part of this incredible man's life. For instance he was held in high regard by the American Military. In 1959 the nuclear powered submarine Skate became the first submarine to surface at the Pole, where it held a memorial service and scattered the ashes of the Australian, Sir Hubert Wilkins.

See Amazon Books for a brief description and reader reviews.

Fin
9A

I've got to stop doing this - I have 3 backed up to read while I slogged through my Skylab book - but your description is too compelling to let it pass. However, my next read is "One Good Run: Legend of Burt Munro" by Tim Hanna, the amazing life story of the motorcycling speed legend who inspired the hit movie "The World's Fastest Indian".

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
"One Good Run: The Legend of Burt Munro" by Tim Hanna

As the cover states "The Amazing life story of the Motorcycling Speed Legend who inspired the hit movie "The World's Fastest Indian". If you missed the movie becuase of the poor distribution - well, you missed a great one. So how is this an aviation book, well did you know he built a glider from bamboo in his youth - it's in there. But more importantly it goes deep enough to capture the focus and dedication one can give to developing a high performance speed machine. On page 110 after a paragraph telling of the birth of his son it goes on for several pages describing in fastenating detail how he made new heads for the engine and a little later on, connecting rods just a step or two short of mining the ore himself. Maybe this will appeal more to those that have already built their RVs and are modifying them for speed than those that are still working on the original build. If you are modifying your RV for speed, this will inspire you by this man's relentless pursuit of excellence with modest resources.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The Amazing life story of the Motorcycling Speed Legend who inspired the hit movie "The World's Fastest Indian". If you missed the movie becuase of the poor distribution - well, you missed a great one.

Bob Axsom

Bob

I agree, the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" is a must see movie.

John

I finished it tonight

As the cover states "The Amazing life story of the Motorcycling Speed Legend who inspired the hit movie "The World's Fastest Indian". If you missed the movie becuase of the poor distribution - well, you missed a great one. So how is this an aviation book, well did you know he built a glider from bamboo in his youth - it's in there. But more importantly it goes deep enough to capture the focus and dedication one can give to developing a high performance speed machine. On page 110 after a paragraph telling of the birth of his son it goes on for several pages describing in fastenating detail how he made new heads for the engine and a little later on, connecting rods just a step or two short of mining the ore himself. Maybe this will appeal more to those that have already built their RVs and are modifying them for speed than those that are still working on the original build. If you are modifying your RV for speed, this will inspire you by this man's relentless pursuit of excellence with modest resources.

Bob Axsom

One of a kind! The depth of his pursuit in the search of speed - especially in the engine are difficult to imagine. Makes me feel like a slacker. The book just kept getting better all the way to the end. I think it may be better appreciated with age but anyone that has experimented with their RV in search of speed will feel a little relationship with the content.

Bob Axsom

"Softly Tread The Brave A Triumph Over Terror,and Death By Mine Disposal Officers John Stuart Mould,G.C.,G.M.,and Hugh Randal Syme,G.C.,G.M,and Bar"
Author - Ivan Southall

Hard to find now. The title is self explanatory, but refers to Britain in WWII.
It has a lot of modern day/current relevance to the counter IED work in Afghanistan today, with the same cold courage.

John

Stick and Rudder

"Stick and Rudder", but only because it calls the elevator, "flippers."

"The Compleat Taildragger" works well for me too.

And Fred Hoinville's "Halfway to Heaven" is a good read if you can find it, and you like aviation biographies.

- mark

THANK YOU LUCKY!!!

Without a doubt, Piece of Cake. Get the BBC produced movie while you are at it. No better footage of Spits anywhere even though the book was based on a Hurricane squadron.

Lucky

I have been looking for that movie for years - I saw a part of it on TV... probably in 1998, and I haven't been able to find it and now I know why... because I was looking for it as, "Pieces of Eight" instead of "Piece of Cake"!!:eek: Like I said, I only saw a part of the mini series but my-oh-my that was an awesome WWII/flying movie!

Into the Black by Peter J Westwick

I've read a few books covering flight where altitude becomes distance and although I'm just getting into this one it has grabbed my attention firmly. The subtitle is "JPL and the American Space Program 1976-2004". Since I worked in the American Space Program from April 1959 to September 31, 2004 with the last 19 years at JPL and know some of the people mentioned in the book you might think I'm prejudiced but I don't think so. I have read other books on the subjects and felt a little obligation to read rather than being drawn into it historically and personally.

Bob Axsom

The one I read the most.......

The RV8 builders manual and the VAF Forums....sorry couldn't resist:D:D

One of the best Bob!

Bob Axsom

Always looking for recommendations on this forum for that special "Can't put it down" book that you don't want to end, I took a chance on "Unbroken" and took it on vacation with me. It is without a doubt one of the finest books I've ever read. I've always had a lot of respect for our WWII vets but after reading this it is truly amazing what these men endured for the freedom we enjoy and sometimes take for granted. A must read for any American. And yes, I couldn't put it down.

If you read aviation novels you probably know of Stephen Coonts

I have 29 of his books in my library and I recently bought my 30th called Sea Witch. It actually contains three totally unrelated novellas "Sea Witch" about a black cat Catalina called Sea Witch and her crew in WWII, "The 17th Day" about an American pilot flying and S.E.5A with the RFC in WWI and "Al-Jihad" about a woman and a man flying a V-22 Osprey in recent times going to steal lots of money. The first two were terrific and the third one is starting off that way even though the subject seems unusual for a Coonts hero - I'll bet it comes around in the end.

Bob Axsom

Back