What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Brace Oops

Toddav8r

In prepping my flap brace and aileron gap seal for installation, I got carried away while dimpling and dimpled the flap brace instead of countersinking it. :eek: That means I would either have to dimple or countersink the flap hinge, neither of which is recommended. The proper installation, of course, requires dimpled skin/countersunk flap brace/drilled hinge.

My question is would it be acceptable to "squeeze" the dimples out of the flap brace and then countersink the holes? I realize that this could weaken the rivet holes in the flap brace, but it would be riveted between two other things, and it seems preferable to countersinking or dimpling the hinge material. Am I way off base here? :confused: Let me know if I am...I can take it...

I dimpled...

I did the same thing, so I dimpled the flap hinge. It dimples rather easily, and I don't know why it isn't recommended.
But flattening the dimples and countersinking is no big deal either. It won't weaken the holes enough to worry about (unless you do it more than once :)

Distortion

I tried to un-dimple the rear elevator spar, where the trim tabs fits, after inadvertently dimpling it..

Trying to squeeze the expanded metal of the dimple flat produced a big curve in the spar.

Suggest you do a test on a bit of scrap of the same thickness.

Pete.

Order a new one.

I've done the same thing. What was the solution here that worked?

I ordered a new spar, even though I live in Australia and had to wait a week for delivery.
I knew there would be more frustration in trying to recover the spar than wait for a replacement, and so moved on to the next bit.

Pete.

There is nothing wrong with dimpling the flap hinge. Doing so is common practice on the RV-6 and listed as optional in the builders manual. The hinge wants to warp while you dimple, leave the pin (and a second hinge half if possible) in place while you dimple. I plan to dimple my flap brace and hinge. I already attached the flapside of the hinge this way.

Confusion.

There is nothing wrong with dimpling the flap hinge. Doing so is common practice on the RV-6 and listed as optional in the builders manual. The hinge wants to warp while you dimple, leave the pin (and a second hinge half if possible) in place while you dimple. I plan to dimple my flap brace and hinge. I already attached the flapside of the hinge this way.

Sorry Todd,
I assumed you had dimpled the Rear Elevator spar.
If it was the flap brace, disregard everything after 'Hello'.

Pete.

Back