What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's your favorite aviation book?

Dougs Book Recommendation.

One I love and didn't see is My Secret War by Richard S. Drury. He choose the Skyraider
over jets and this book is his story of flying the A-1 over Vietnam. Alone at night dodging thunderstorms over the Trail. A great read.

Tom

That's just the kind of recommendation I look for. I just ordered it. Doug recommended a book about a month or so ago that he said he couldn't put down and was wondering if anybody else has read it. It was "Bury Us Upside Down", the accounts of the USAF "Misty's" forward air controllers over the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Doug was right, you can't put it down. And one of the most surprising parts was in finding out that one of the Misty pilot /POW's in the book grew up about five miles from me. My respect gets deeper and deeper for the military pilots who protect our freedom.

Pizza & Mortars

During SNF this year, I stayed with friends in Long Boat Key. My friend introduced me to a gentleman there by the name of William Upton. During conversation I discovered that Bill was a Chief on a Caribous in Vietnam, and wrote a memoir. I recently read his book "Pizza and Mortars" and really enjoyed it. In fact, I read it in a day and half (I just couldnt put it down). If you are looking for another aviation related book to read, give this one a try.

Bills web page http://vietnammemoir.com/

Alex Henshaw

I just finished reading "The Flight of the Mew Gull" by Alex Henshaw (given to me by Mike Thompson). The flight described by the solo pilot Alex Henshaw from Gravesend England to Cape Town South Affrica and back again in 1939 tops anything I have ever read about and I have read about a lot of aerial feats. Only a pilot can begin to appreciate what this man did. I am USA all the way but this Englishman tops all my air heroes. I checked and the book is already mentioned in this thread but I had to add my enthusiastic support.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The Few by Alex Kershaw

History of "The American Knights of the Air who risked everything to fight in the Battle of Britain"

Story of American pilots who flew with the RAF during the Battle of Britain in the summer of 1940. Churchill used them shamelessly for propaganda and not many survived. Their example helped recruit American pilots for several RAF "Eagle Squadrons" which eventually transferred to the USAAF when the USA joined the war after Pearl Harbor.

"Into The Wind - The Story of Max Conrad" by Sally Buegeleisen - ISBN-10: 0394463064
Amazing long distance solo non stop flights in a PA-24 Comanche 180.

24/11/59 Class C1-C Comanche PA-24-180 (Lycoming 180 hp) N110LF
Distance : from Casablanca to El Paso Texas
11,211.83 km = 6 966.75 miles
Duratio : 56 hours
This record is still standing.

14/7/60 Class C1-D Comanche PA-24-180 (Lycoming 180) N110LF
Distance in close circuit : Mineapolis, Chicago, Des Moines, Chicago.
11,138.72 km = 6 921.28 miles Duration : 60 hours
This record is still standing.

John
Melbourne Australia

Has anyone read this?

While I was working away in Florida a few weeks ago one of the guys from Progress Energy handed me a book to read. He’s a pilot also (flies an Archer, we spend more time talking about flying than working) he really liked it and “loaned” it to me. I’m not a real big book reader:(….I know that’s bad but I don’t have a lot of free time to do such things. He was raving on about this book and telling me a few of the stories. It sounded pretty interesting so I thought I would give it a read. Its nonfiction, about ferry pilots, who flew small single engine planes all over the world back in the 70’s before such small planes had Loran or GPS. Navigating by DR (not Doug Reeves) and what few radio beacons were around.

This book was great I couldn’t put it down! I read it in three nights while in the hotel at my next project in TN. Loads of incredible stories, some funny, some sad. These guys really had brass you know what. When we flew to Grand Turk with our GPS and in a group I was still pretty apprehensive flying over ALL THAT WATER. After reading this book I feel like a weenie. I remembered this thread about favorite books and wanted to see if it was listed here. I couldn’t find it anywhere in this thread Hmm…. so now I’m wondering why? Is it because I haven’t read a book in so long that this one just seemed good to me?

Oh the book? It’s called AIR VAGABONDS Oceans, Airmen, and a Quest for Adventure by Anthony J Vallone. Someone else please procure a copy and read it. I need to know if anyone else thinks this book is as good as I do? My New Year’s resolution is going to be to try and read more. The plan is to get through at least 10 books from this list starting with Fate is the Hunter. So now y’all know what to get me for Christmas.

The Dam Busters

Try The Dam Busters by Paul Brickhill, it's about Squadron 617 flying Lancasters in WWII England. Excellent book.

Three of My Favorites

I searched this thread to see what had already been posted, and at least one of my three had been previously mentioned, albeit a long time ago. Since we are in the season of giving gifts, I thought that I would put 3 of my favorites at the top of the list.

Flight of Passage, by Rinker Buck - This book is a must read, especially for those of us who found aviation as a child. This book chronicles the life of a young boy who was challenged by his father to persue his quest to fly.

North Star Over My Shoulder, by Capt. Bob Buck (TWA Ret) (no relation to the above author) - This book chronicles the aviation exploits of Capt.Buck through WW II, and into the jet age. Another must have book for your collection.

Through the Back Doors of the World in a Ship That Had Wings, by Capt. William Masland (Pan Am, Ret) - A chronicle of Capt. Masland's beginnings with Pan Am as a mechanic, and rise to command one of the most magnificant aircraft ever built, the Boeing 314 Clipper. As I recall he retired in the 60's off the 707, but the majority of the book deals with his time in the flying boats.
This may be a hard one to find, but everyone should have a copy in their library.

Wing Leader

Wing Leader by Johnnie Johnson. Great autobiographical story about one of Britians top fighter pilots in WWII. He served throughout the entire war and it's a great story about flying the Spitfire and his adventures. Made a great impression on me in my younger days. Good read if you can find it.

Gregg

I ordered it through amazon.com tonight

I ordered the book through www.amazon.com tonight. Interestingly it had 11 reviewes and the average rating was the maximum 5 stars. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Bob Axsom

While I was working away in Florida a few weeks ago one of the guys from Progress Energy handed me a book to read. He?s a pilot also (flies an Archer, we spend more time talking about flying than working) he really liked it and ?loaned? it to me. I?m not a real big book reader:(?.I know that?s bad but I don?t have a lot of free time to do such things. He was raving on about this book and telling me a few of the stories. It sounded pretty interesting so I thought I would give it a read. Its nonfiction, about ferry pilots, who flew small single engine planes all over the world back in the 70?s before such small planes had Loran or GPS. Navigating by DR (not Doug Reeves) and what few radio beacons were around.

This book was great I couldn?t put it down! I read it in three nights while in the hotel at my next project in TN. Loads of incredible stories, some funny, some sad. These guys really had brass you know what. When we flew to Grand Turk with our GPS and in a group I was still pretty apprehensive flying over ALL THAT WATER. After reading this book I feel like a weenie. I remembered this thread about favorite books and wanted to see if it was listed here. I couldn?t find it anywhere in this thread Hmm?. so now I?m wondering why? Is it because I haven?t read a book in so long that this one just seemed good to me?

Oh the book? It?s called AIR VAGABONDS Oceans, Airmen, and a Quest for Adventure by Anthony J Vallone. Someone else please procure a copy and read it. I need to know if anyone else thinks this book is as good as I do? My New Year?s resolution is going to be to try and read more. The plan is to get through at least 10 books from this list starting with Fate is the Hunter. So now y?all know what to get me for Christmas.

Glad to hear that you ordered the book Bob. I will be most interested to find out your thoughts on it.

In keeping with my New Year?s resolution to read more I managed to find a used book store here in Kingsport, TN. I had six books on my list taken directly from this thread and I could not find any of them in this store. I was really hoping to find Fate is the Hunter but they were all gone. :( The lady said they used to have a few copies at some point, but not anymore. I did find a book called ?The Flying North? by Jean Potter (cost me a whole dollar sixty five). I thought that it was listed on this thread but I think that was ?The Arctic North?.

This book was written in 1944 and covers the first flights and early years of flying in Alaska (from 1922 to 1944). The author spent a year and half interviewing locals and the surviving pilots from that time. It is actually a very good historical account of those early pioneers of Alaska bush flying. I am about half way through this one and finding it a good read also. Not quite as good as Air Vagabonds but if you?re into Alaska bush flying it gives a great account of those involved. These guys worked really hard flying inferior/unreliable planes in bone chilling cold and forbidding conditions only fit for polar bears. Some pretty interesting stuff in there.

Since I could not find Fate is the Hunter I ordered it and four other books from Amazon to keep me going next year. :cool: When I make it back to Denver I plan to find a used book store and pick up some of the other books listed here.

all great books, but

I agree with Bob's origional post. All of the books listed are great aviation books about great aviation stories about great aviation heros...but...

Lindberg is the only author that lays out the emotions that make us want to fly. I read "spirit" when I was a kid and then later after being a comercial pilot when I highlighted several passages that I found myself saying yes, I know that feeling, or yes, I have seen that too. I still read it occasionally and it still moves me.

He puts into words the feelings that make up the flying "bug" no other author I have read has done this except maybe Richard Bach.

example of Linbergh

Sometimes, shut in by fog( or darkness) the impression of movement ceases, and I seem to be just hanging in space...unrelated to any outside point of reference, hypnotized by the instruments, deluded by the noise and vibration of the engine(s) into the belief that I am flying rapidly across an ocean between two great continents of the world...

Lindbergh

If you have flown across the ocean at night you know this feeling.
how can you beat that..

Wings On My Sleeve

Wings On My Sleeve by Eric 'Winkle' Brown is just a great book!

Thanks Dale for lending it to me!

Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown CBE, DSC, AFC, MA, Hon FRAeS, Royal Navy was a test pilot during and after WW II. The book chronicles his exploits test flying hundreds of different aircraft; British, US, German, Russian, Italian, and more.

It is a good read with just enough pictures of the odd ball planes to keep you flipping pages.

Old Soggy No. 1

In 1911 Slats Rodgers started to build his own plane, while working for the railroad. He read all that he could find about planes, even everything the Wright brothers had written. He asked a draftsman he knew to help with the plans, they got after it and at one point started to count the pieces including nuts and washers. When they got to 10,000, they decided eigther they were going to count pieces or build the airplane.
This man went on to barnstorming, crashing for money, running moonshine and parachuting, and much more. With out changing a thing it would be a great movie, even had a little love plot (sort of) in it. I learned about this book from my father, he is retired from the FAA, and was a CFI. Slats Roders gave my father his first ride in an airplane. If you can find a copy, it's a great and quick read.

Old Soggy No.1
By
Hart Stilwell
and
Slats Rodgers

Ayer Company Publishers, Inc

LC# 72-169437
ISBN 0-405-03779-1

Thunderbolt Odyssey

You might want to read Thunderbolt Odyssey by Kemal Saied. It's a wonderful, understated book about the war in Europe by a P-47 pilot. I liked it especially because the author's experiences closely paralleled those of my Father. I understand that Mr. Saied passed away earlier this year.

Favorite aviation book

A couple more:
"Wooden Wolf" story of US Navy pilots assigned for training with RAF, WW II,
possibly based on truth.
"Silver Wings, Santiago Blue" by Janet Dailey, WW II WAF stories.
Both good stories as are all of these you've listed.
RV9A Bill, have finish kit on order.

Gann

My Christmas reading is Gann's book 'Fate is the Hunter', and a good read it is too! But I have a question.

I am well along and still do not understand which fledgling airline he trained and started his flying career with. For a long time I thought TWA, but a bit I read implied they were another organisation. Can anyone tell me please? Trying to open up Brazil, and flying the mail routes in the NE USA, must be a clue, but not so meaningful to a Brit.

Thanks.

American Airlines

I am well along and still do not understand which fledgling airline he trained and started his flying career with. For a long time I thought TWA, but a bit I read implied they were another organisation. Can anyone tell me please? Trying to open up Brazil, and flying the mail routes in the NE USA, must be a clue,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_K._Gann See this link for some info on Gann

Since my last post I have finished "Fate is the Hunter" and "The Flying North". Trying to work on my New Year's resolution early. Found Fate is the Hunter to be as good as everyone said. Although I will say Gann is a bit Verbose in his writing style. While reading chapter 11 I noticed that this was his inspiration for "Islands in the Sky", we have rented the movie from Netflix and plan on watching it tonight.

Of the three books I have read in the last few weeks I am having a hard time picking a favorite. They are all equally good in their own way. I am leaning towards Air Vagabonds because it deals with flying single engine airplanes something more related to the type of flying we do.

Last edited:
"West With the Night" - Beryl Markham

I have to vote for "West With the Night" - Beryl Markham.

I loved this book and was intirigued to learn more about the enigmatic Beryl Markham. Reading her biography, I learnt that she almost certainly did not write this book. Credit should most likely go to her third husband Raoul Schumacher who was by trade a ghost writer. Regardless, the story is true to her life story and makes for an amazing tale.

Outstanding!

It is 01:37 in the morning 12-30-08 and I just finished reading "Air Vagabonds" by Anthony J. Vallone and I think it is in a class all by itself. When he called my old employer McDonald Douglas instead of McDonnell Douglas and a Cessna Skyhawk a two seat trainer I choked a little bit but I said to my self, here is a guy just trying to tell the personal story of the small aircraft transoceanic ferry pilots from the heart the very best he can. It's not a college research paper with a lot of accurate detail and absolutely no soul or experience involved. The fate of Holmes at the end of the book was a bit of a shocker. I doubt that this author will write another book. I've heard the statements made that every person is a story and every good story has a beginning, a middle and an end - there simply can't be any more to this story. I am very proud to add it to my collection. Thank you.

Bob Axsom

Glad to hear that you ordered the book Bob. I will be most interested to find out your thoughts on it.

In keeping with my New Year?s resolution to read more I managed to find a used book store here in Kingsport, TN. I had six books on my list taken directly from this thread and I could not find any of them in this store. I was really hoping to find Fate is the Hunter but they were all gone. :( The lady said they used to have a few copies at some point, but not anymore. I did find a book called ?The Flying North? by Jean Potter (cost me a whole dollar sixty five). I thought that it was listed on this thread but I think that was ?The Arctic North?.

This book was written in 1944 and covers the first flights and early years of flying in Alaska (from 1922 to 1944). The author spent a year and half interviewing locals and the surviving pilots from that time. It is actually a very good historical account of those early pioneers of Alaska bush flying. I am about half way through this one and finding it a good read also. Not quite as good as Air Vagabonds but if you?re into Alaska bush flying it gives a great account of those involved. These guys worked really hard flying inferior/unreliable planes in bone chilling cold and forbidding conditions only fit for polar bears. Some pretty interesting stuff in there.

Since I could not find Fate is the Hunter I ordered it and four other books from Amazon to keep me going next year. :cool: When I make it back to Denver I plan to find a used book store and pick up some of the other books listed here.

If You are Interested in Ernest K. Gann

Almost 30 years ago I read his autobiography "A Hostage to Fortune." It is a 504 page book that will give you many details of his interesting life. On page 214 he tells he was hired by D. K. Smith and he was going to American Airlines co-pilot school in Chicago. I'm too tired to research it further but if you are interested you can find it all in "A Hostage to Fortune."

Bob Axsom

My Christmas reading is Gann's book 'Fate is the Hunter', and a good read it is too! But I have a question.

I am well along and still do not understand which fledgling airline he trained and started his flying career with. For a long time I thought TWA, but a bit I read implied they were another organisation. Can anyone tell me please? Trying to open up Brazil, and flying the mail routes in the NE USA, must be a clue, but not so meaningful to a Brit.

Thanks.

The Sky Beyond.

Here's is what I wrote on Amazon.com about P. G. Taylor's "The Sky Beyond"

One of the best aviation books I have read. Up there with Fate is the Hunter.
The author describes his life in flying fighters in WWI, pioneering Pacific air routes and flying the sublime Spitfire in such a way that he takes you on the flight with him.
A masterpiece.

Another review reads;
"I've read this book 5 times and will read it again and again. It's an account of the first trans-Pacific flights in piston powered aircraft to develop routes at a time when there was no electronic navigation. Celestial navigation was all these pilots had to go thousands of miles to their destination. The most incredible chapter deal with an in-flight oil change conducted outside the aircraft cabin while the engine was running."

Pete.

PS. Better Still is Forgotten Island. If you can get it.

Alaska Bush Pilots in the Float Country

Over the holidays, I found myself killing some time one day in the tiny Seaside, OR public library. I stumbled upon "Alaska Bush Pilots in the Float Country" and found it very entertaining. Lots of black and white photographs to go along with vivid descriptions of 30's through 50's float plane flying. Lockheed Vegas with floats along with many other planes. Each chapter covers a different pilot, and is a bio of sorts. Very colorful stories, and the pilots were real characters! The risks they accepted as part of daily life we would never agree to in this day and age. :eek:

My Favorites - A couple I haven't seen

I love to read, and have read many of the books mentioned. I was surprised that a couple of my favorites were not mentioned. Anyway here is my favorite list:

Biographies:

MY LOGBOOK by Gunther Rall. An autobiography by the 3rd highest scoring ace in the Lufwaffe in WWII. Very interesting read. He was shot down 5 times (if I remember correctly), and had his thumb shot off by one of the Thunderbolt pilots from Hub Zemke's 56th FG. He went on to become the commander of the post war Luftwaffe, introducing the F104 to Germany in the 1960's.

I COULD NEVER BE SO LUCKY AGAIN by Jimmy Doolittle. As already mentioned this book is amazing. What a gentleman.

Fiction:

STANDY BY-Y-Y-Y TO START ENGINES by Daniel V. Gallery, Rear Admiral. This may be my favorite book of all time, in any genre. It is a novel by a Naval Aviator/Carrier commander and is now out of print. Find a used one if you can. It is by far the funniest book I have ever read about aviators and aviation. It follows the adventures of Curly Cue, Blue Angel flight leader and other nefarious characters. RADM Gallery wrote several sequels, all of which are good, but this is the best one.

FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDER, by STephen Coonts. Already mentioned, a story about an intruder pilot in Viet Nam. I have pilot freinds that had similar experiences.

SON OF THUNDER, by J D Wetterling. A great book about a pilot in Viet Nam flying F-100s. This book is really hard to put down, and has depth. It is worth reading multiple times. JD was an F-100 pilot and knows how to describe the beauty of flight and the horror of flying in wartime.

THE SHEPHERD, by Frederick Forsyth. A great read, it is an illustrated short story about a flight on Christmas Eve. It has a great ending.

Engineering Books:

FLUID DYNAMIC DRAG by Hoerner. Do you want to go faster? I do. This is a beatiful book on a subject near to my heart, drag. Hoerner was an engineer for Messerschimdt and other companies, emigrated to the US and was involved in drag reduction research after the war. The book is bound with old time glossy paperand is heavily illustrated with all kinds of interesting things from drag from wing sections to how much drag reduction you can get in formation. I am absoulutely sure Van owns a copy.

How to fly books:

Instrument Flight Training Manual as Developed by Professional Instrument Courses, Inc. - One of the best training books on flying I have used or read.

STICK AND RUDDER by Wolfgang Langewiesche - Already mentioned. The part on landing a taildragger is eye opening and an absolutely must read for you guys with the real thing.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Hi Bob,

It is 01:37 in the morning 12-30-08 and I just finished reading "Air Vagabonds" by Anthony J. Vallone and I think it is in a class all by itself. When he called my old employer McDonald Douglas instead of McDonnell Douglas and a Cessna Skyhawk a two seat trainer I choked a little bit but I said to my self, here is a guy just trying to tell the personal story of the small aircraft transoceanic ferry pilots from the heart the very best he can. It's not a college research paper with a lot of accurate detail and absolutely no soul or experience involved. The fate of Holmes at the end of the book was a bit of a shocker. I doubt that this author will write another book. I've heard the statements made that every person is a story and every good story has a beginning, a middle and an end - there simply can't be any more to this story. I am very proud to add it to my collection. Thank you.

It's good to get another review on this book. I liked it alot. In fact I have my wife reading it now. :) She seems to like it also and keeps asking me questions about various events that happen and what certain terms mean. So now I'll have to be carefull when we fly as she will catch me if I do something wrong. Should help to make her a better co-pilot.

I just started reading Jimmy Doolittles book "I could never be so lucky again" I'm not to far in but, he got the title right that's for sure.

Enjoy the new year and I plan to keep up with my resolution to read more.

While I'd have to agree with the majority view that Ernest K. Gann is right up there near the top, the best aviation book I've ever read is called The Hunters, by James Salter, about flying F-86s along the Yalu River in Korea. I'm a big Hemingway fan, and Salter writes about air combat the way ol' Hem wrote about the bullfight. Definitely worth the twelve bucks.

I love to read, and have read many of the books mentioned. I was surprised that a couple of my favorites were not mentioned. Anyway here is my favorite list:

Fiction:

STAND BY-Y-Y-Y TO START ENGINES by Daniel V. Gallery, Rear Admiral. This may be my favorite book of all time, in any genre. It is a novel by a Naval Aviator/Carrier commander and is now out of print. Find a used one if you can. It is by far the funniest book I have ever read about aviators and aviation. It follows the adventures of Curly Cue, Blue Angel flight leader and other nefarious characters. RADM Gallery wrote several sequels, all of which are good, but this is the best one.

Two days ago I went to Amazon.com and abebooks.com and found several copies available starting at $35. I hesitated because we had to go to the theater and that was a little to much to spend without thinking about it a some. Just now I went in to buy and abebooks has none available while amazon has a few but the prices start at $51.45. I guess I will have to wait a while to read this one but it is on my "to read" list.

Bob Axsom

. . . I hesitated because we had to go to the theater and that was. . .

Bob Axsom

They were disappearing whilst I was browsing.

Pete.

PS. I have a new updated list of all the books recommended on this thread sorted by Author and by Title as an MS Word file.

Anyone who wants it, Email me. [email protected]
Pete.

I got a "Stand By-y-y to Start Engines" for $20

I did a Google search for "Stand By-y-y to Start Engines" by Daniel V. Gallery and found a few sources. I got mine from Massoglia Books, 19891 Vanowen St Ste C, Canoga Park, CA 91306-3957, USA. It is in fine condition, it does not appear by the spine that it has ever been opened. Printed in 1967 cover price $1.50. I am looking forward to a good read by the fireplace during this unusually cold winter.

Bob Axsom

Happy Bottom Riding Club

I'm enjoying "Flying Carpet" right now, which I found on this thread.

I don't see "Happy Bottom Riding club" listed. It's a fun read about the life about Chuck Yeager's old drinking buddy, Pancho Barnes.

Fate is the Hunter

This book seemed to be number one with many of you so I ordered one. After it didn't show up after a month, we (the seller and I) assumed it was lost so I ordered another book from a different seller. Naturally both books showed up on the same day.
I can return one of them or I can offer it to another lister if anyone wants it. It's a hard bound book with no jacket. It's faded on the spine and front. Otherwise it's in good shape.
$40 including shipping within the states.

BOYD,The Fighter Pilot Who Changed The Art Of War

A great story about the life of John Boyd. I read a book a week and this book is one of the best.

Gabby, A Fighter Pilot's Life
Chuck Yeager Autobiography
No Visible Horizon
Flight of Passage

Fate is the Hunter

I have many Ernest K. Gann books in my library and I thought "Fate is the Hunter" was another of his novels and I was sure I had read it. When I saw it popping up in this thread time after time I couldn't understand the high praise. So I checked my EKG collection and found that I did not have it. I ordered a used copy through www.Amazon.com for $4.95 (hardback withdrawn from the Palmdale City Library). I just finished reading it and I have to say, in my 72 years I have never read anything like it! It is autobiographical and historical - the very heart of commercial aviation and even more the personal aviators and their airplanes in the few decades before it was copywrited in 1961. It is carefully written to pass on the truth of that era on a very personal level. It must be read to be appreciated.

Bob Axsom

Fate is The Hunter

Bought the book because of this thread. I have read it twice now. I like the very end when he asks the guy he's having dinner with if his slide rule can measure one man's fate against that of another. Good reading!

Broken Wings

I don"t expect this one to make the list, but I just published my first book, Broken Wings, The Rise and Fall of the Greatest Air Armada. It is in hardback and is the story of the intentional destruction of aircraft left in England after WWII. It could be great reading for someone with little background in WWII history (high school students, etc.) and is great for those who love the great warbirds. While it isn't possible to sell stuff at Oshkosh ;) I just might be able to find you a copy, if you are interested.

Bob Kelly

CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles

I met the author of this book while waiting for a crew bus from the JFK layover hotel. He is currently flying for a major airline, but wrote this (and another, that I haven't read yet) book about his experiences as an Alaskan bush pilot in the early 70's. As it says on the cover "A Texas teen turns Alaskan Bush Pilot with surprising results. Edge of the seat drama and nail biting suspense somehow seem to always give way to side-splitting laughter". I really enjoyed reading it. He is not a professional writer and is self-publishing his books (sold me my copy right out of his flight case). I don't believe that it is carried by any book sellers, but you can get a copy from his website: www.clouddancer.org. If you've ever dreamed/thought about flying in Alaska, you'll enjoy this book.

Brad

Fly Low Fly Fast

this is a great book for all you speed nuts..... Fly Low Fly Fast Inside the Reno Air Race... by Robert Gandt

I'm not a big reader, get bored really fast ADD I read it cover to cover can't believe it...

Aviation favorites

Agree with the Bach labels and Flight of Passage,
but you all have missed my two favorites
The Steep Ascent and Listen, the Wind
by Anne Morrow Lindbergh,
and then of course there's Erickson's True North, and Back to the Barrens.
All great reads,
Barbara

Unexpected treasure

From this thread's recommendations I decided to read "Failure is not an Option" by Gene Krantz. I expected a book about Apollo 13 period. It is more of a first person history of the US space program. The details of mission operations on Project Mercury are amazing. I worked on the project in St. Louis so I felt knowledgeable about it from the manufacturing side but Mr. Krantz has filled me in on what went on after the spacecraft left the building in exciting and personal detail. I have just completed the orbital flight of John Glenn. More than entertainment.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Aerospace Books

Bob,
I too loved Kranz book. Top of my list.
I became so fascinated with how Apollo was conceived and engineered, I have since bought and read a stack of books on Apollo. As an outsider from Downunder, I have absolute admiration what was achieved by the US in aerospace in with Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. (Don't forget Carnarvon and Honeysuckle Creek) Bob, as an ex-engineer might be fascinated by the thorough engineering descriptions in the first of these; 'How Apollo Flew to the moon.' A brilliant engineers description.

Others and all excellent are.
'Digital Apollo: Human and Machine in Space Flight.' About the design and construction of the Lunar Module computer.
'Rocket Men.' Apollo 11 and the drive to fly to the moon and insight into the people who made it possible.
'Buzz Aldrin. Magnificent Desolation.' Not yet read.
'Last Man on the Moon.' Excellent. Eugene Cernan describes his NASA life.
'In the Shadow of the Moon.' We have all seen the movie.
'Apollo the Race to the Moon.' Can't remember the details. Oldtimer's disease.

I have also added 'Skunk Works', brilliant book to the Aviation list.
My offer to forward the list of all recommended books as an MS WORD document sorted for TITLE and AUTHOR still applies.

Peter JAMES.
[email protected]

"Always Another Dawn" and "the Word List" of books

My copy of "Always Another Dawn, the story of a ROCKET TEST PILOT" arrived and I am 109 pages into the book. I have not read a book that made me feel this personal - I don't know how to describe it - feeling. It is a wonderful book I'm sure but as I read Scott Crossfield's thoughts in this book with a 1960 copy write I know he died when his Cessna 210 broke up in flight in the same storm system I was circumnavigating VFR going to Asheville and Winston Salem not too long ago. I can't help but read it in that context - sad.

Pete send the latest version of the list. [email protected]

Bob Axsom

Back