What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic training with simulator?

HansR

Hi, I have bought a RV-8, and intend to fly some acro with it. So far I have just tried some rolls.

I have some experience from glider aerobatics, and will soon get my motor aerobatics rating.

I am considering if I can speed up the learning by using a simulator,

so, do you have experience of a simulator than you really can be used for aerobatic training?

Anyone that has tried aerobatic simulation?
X-Plane?
Aerofly FS?
Any other?

I have tried the above, but not found them very realistic. Maybe it would get better if I buy an suitable aircraft model?

X-Plane?
Aerofly FS?
Any other?

I have tried the above, but not found them very realistic. Maybe it would get better if I buy an suitable aircraft model?

My personal opinion is that any aerobatic simulator will only be good for learning the mechanics of each maneuver and in NO WAY should substitute for aerobatic training in a real aircraft. The simulator will never be able to replicate, the g forces, blacking out, graying out, the sensations of speed, forces on the stick, forces on the body, and the disorienting nature of aerobatic maneuvers and unusual attitudes. The simulators above should only be relied on for entertainment purposes only. You can't scare the c&@p out of yourself with desk top simulators. My feeling is that the simulators will be of very marginal benefit. Best to spend the money on AVGAS.

Take the "V" out of "VR" and you end up with "R", Reality.

VR simulator

I recently bought a bunch of stuff to build a VR simulator - big honkin' PC, oculus rift, hotas, stick, and even a cool seat. Probably about 4k of stuff. The goal was to get more comfortable with the rudder on the ground, since while I have a tailwheel endorsement, I didn't feel that comfortable.

I use DCS world with the p-51 and the Christen Eagle.

I'm pretty impressed with how it handles - even though it might not be truly accurate to the aircraft, it's helping me tune up my rudder skills.

With the VR headset and the powerful PC you can look around, and it looks very real.

The only part I don't enjoy is if I crash, I get a bit seasick, since the plane is moving in a strange way visually, but there is of course no motion on my chair.

I have done very little aerobatics both in the real world and VR, so I can't say if it's realistic or will help you, but it seems very good to me. It's certainly fun.

I'm also practicing things that are hard in real life, like engine failure right after takeoff. It feels very real, and I believe it's helping to instill the instinct to get the stick down, and don't stall/spin/crash/burn/die.

I justified the spend since an hour in our club's tailwheel aircraft is about 300, so 15 hours of sim time pays for the whole setup. Also, in the sim you can focus on the stuff you want to practice repeatedly, and can do it any time in any weather.

I guess I'll be the one to say it. The quickest way I know to kill yourself in a clean a/c like an RV is trying to teach yourself acro. Please consider sensible alternatives, or stick with a sim. I wouldn't be so blunt, but people have died, including an aquaintance, many years ago.

Charlie

Would you jump off a boat and try to swim to shore if your only training was a VR simulation? Seriously, get instruction. Sensory overload can happen quickly.

X-Plane

X-Plane?
Aerofly FS?
Any other?

Hi HansR,

You are correct, not realistic. Have X-plane, 9, 10 & 11.

After taking lessons recently, nowhere near the feel or look.

Not easy to see what you need to when you lose the horizon, keyboard keys to look left at the wing as you go vertical, just doesn't work well to determine where you're at.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

I would have to second Jerry?s sentiment. As an 18,000 hr airline pilot with a civilian background aerobatics was something I have always wanted to pursue. Now with 10 hours of dual in a decathlon and 5 in a skybolt I can say that the disorienting nature of acro especially in the early stages of instruction can only be experienced safely during training. There can be no substitute for dual aerobatic instruction from a qualified instructor. I can see how a simulator would be great entertainment but never a substitute for good quality dual.

Back