VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM

After making a little plastic hut around the tail of the plane it was time to layup the fiberglass. I first ran some tests and let them cure for a day so I didn't screw my large hours on making the mold because I knew it wasn't going to make it two rounds of layup. I used 4 plies of 7781 from Spruce for the layup, the part is quite strong after the fact. I waxed the mold after some more tape work and went to town. I used 4 mil plastic and wet the fiberglass between two layers of the plastic. Then I cut the pieces to size (a little larger than needed) and laid them on the plane. I overlapped in the middle by a few inches, it didn't leave as much of a hump as I thought it would, sanding and micro will take care of it no problem. Finally, I applied the only peel ply I had which was two inch (man I wish I had wider for this one!) The next day I popped the part off, the wax I used worked perfect and let the part go like it was no big deal.

Here it is all laid up. If you look closely you can see a bubble towards the top, it came off the VS about 1/16-1/8", I will fill the back a little and sand it down, no big deal. This was the only spot that it didn't fit perfectly to the fuse.

On a side note, it sure looks ugly at this point. haha

20190504_153458 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is the part after some trimming was done. As you can see I still have to extend the forward parts down and aft a few inches to really close it up. I simply couldn't get the fiberglass to lay down in this area nicely as one large sheet (probably because there was four plies in one?).

20190505_165526 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Overall I am really happy so far with how the part came out, it may not look like it yet but the contour is pretty dang good! The flat sections in the back came out a little wavy for my liking and I don't think I can use micro alone to fix it so I may have to do some trimming and re-glassing of that area but that's no big deal, it is nice and flat back there; or at least it will be.

It's starting to look like something, long ways to go in finishing it but it's cruising right along.

Let me know what you guys and gals think.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!

Last edited by jcarne : 05-05-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:36 AM

Nicely done! Interested in the final product.
RV-7 emp. Build No. 71139
https://myeaa.org/lhead
Old 05-06-2019, 05:20 AM

Default Cool beans!

Very nice! We attached the Vans part to the other 7 and like you said the fit was horrible. I wonder if I should just delete the part and save the money on my fuselage order... your looks much better even before sanding. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:08 AM

Hey Jereme, I suggest you pull a mold off of it after you have completed it.
I would be more than happy to help you do that. That way I can get a better product for my plane!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernh59 View Post
Nicely done! Interested in the final product.
Thanks Vern!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
Very nice! We attached the Vans part to the other 7 and like you said the fit was horrible. I wonder if I should just delete the part and save the money on my fuselage order... your looks much better even before sanding. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
No problem at all. It will definitely be faster to just chop up the Van's fairing and reglass certain areas if you decide to go that route. However, if you want to learn how to do a bit of fiberglass in the process it seems like a good way of doing it. If you ever have questions just drop me a line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Hey Jereme, I suggest you pull a mold off of it after you have completed it.
I would be more than happy to help you do that. That way I can get a better product for my plane!
haha I bet you would! Pulling a mold off of this guy would be a real treat as it is pretty springy at the back when it is not on the plane, it would be tough to get it in the right spot to make a mold.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 06-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Well after taking a month off for trips and sickness I'm back at it! My summer is in full swing and I'm planning on logging 8ish hours a day. My goal for the summer is to get as much of the fiber glass and canopy done as possible.

First up, I continued working on the empennage fairing. This thing is turning out to be emensly time consuming but oh well, good practice and I should get superior results. I did not like how the tails of the fairing came out on the first lay up so I did some sanding, forming, and layed up some new ones. These ones came out so much better!

20190608_141814 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I had to extend the front portions down and aft an inch or so.

Fiber glass is quite fun when you take an ugly beast like this...

20190610_140304 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

...to this! That Dremel Saw Max I got works great on fiberglass!

20190610_143508 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also continued working on the tips for the elevators and rudder. I sanded the gel coat off of part of the tips since I plan on bonding them to control surfaces. Extra work? Absolutely! Personal preference that bonding looks better? Yup!

I also made backer strips out of 0.025 and bonded them in with epoxy.

20190610_140248 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finally, I am slowly working off and on on the canopy. I made the C-791 canopy skirt braces. These took a fair amount of time with deburring.

20190608_163510 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Glad to be back in the garage getting things done! A few more days on tips and fairing and I will be in full swing on the canopy.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived

Last edited by jcarne : 06-11-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM

The fiberglass work continues! After the empennage fairing was all laid up how I liked it it was time to lay on some micro. As you can see in the pic I should have got it a bit more on the dry side but it worked out just fine.

20190611_123511 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Once the micro was cured it was off to the races with sanding blocks. I used these blocks with great results. Spray adhesive and sandpaper of choice was used (mostly 80 grit).

This is it after sanding, pretty ugly so far eh?

20190614_215244 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After the main sanding I located and drilled the screw holes I wanted and went ahead with countersinking. Then I laid down a bead of epoxy with cab-o-sil on all the seams after taping the tail yet again. The epoxy mixture squeezes out and bingo bango you got a perfect conforming edge. Next I did four coats of epoxy brushed on and squeegeed off with a credit card to fill pinholes. Once cure there was a bunch more sanding to make it perfectly smooth and get rid of any marks/pinholes.

...and finally the day had arrived, priming.

20190618_145531 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

All in all it came out great and I'm really happy with it! It was a great learning experience and I feel I am now fairly competent with fiberglass. A big shout out to Dan Horton for his awesome posts on how to do fiberglass!

One more shot of the fairing on the plane.

20190619_122951 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

P.S. I also got the tips bonded and primed onto the rudder and elevators but I will just let this post sink in for a few days first.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 06-21-2019, 09:20 AM

That looks like nice work!
Old 06-21-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRV7 View Post
That looks like nice work!
Thanks good sir!
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 06-22-2019, 03:41 PM

Default I want one...

Alright! Are you making me one also? Looks like you are having way to much fun Good Job!
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)