What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Seal

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Anybody else's canopy seal squeezing out a bit in the front? It's not a lot but really noticeable with darker paint. Considering popping off the canopy and reinstalling before I put in the canopy hinge clips for the final'ish time. It's installed per the plans but may need to go back a bit.

Curious if Van's changed the recommended seal vs the older tippers?

Anyone got the Van's part number and or a picture of the recommended seal?

I need to replace mine on the RV7 and am looking for the options.

It needs to go back, maybe 3/16" (only the middle part, between the hinges) but I am only going by memory and don't have a pix of installing it. It took me a couple of tries that I don't see it any more when it is closed but not far enough to get a good seal.
Curious to know if you are getting any wind noise or whistle not having the hinge cover. I have not flown mine without them and wondering if there will be any extra noise as a result.

Edit: Also curious if you had the seal installed when your canopy caught the proseal material upfront? With the D shape seal, at least on mine, it gets squashed/flattened when closed and forms a barrier between the canopy and the proseal and possibly help preventing such incident. Only a theory and can't say with certainty.

Last edited:
Curious if Van's changed the recommended seal vs the older tippers?

Anyone got the Van's part number and or a picture of the recommended seal?

I need to replace mine on the RV7 and am looking for the options.

It is a D-Shape weather strip cut in half. Both Home depot and Amazon carry them and you can use different size that fits your canopy better.

On my RV7A, I changed it from the VANs supplied to a different size and also added a flexible type adhesive to fill the gaps that just needed a bit more. Believe it or not, I got it to seal so water would not get in to the behind the panel area. The back window was a different story in the rain :(

Curious to know if you are getting any wind noise or whistle not having the hinge cover. I have not flown mine without them and wondering if there will be any extra noise as a result.

Edit: Also curious if you had the seal installed when your canopy caught the proseal material upfront? With the D shape seal, at least on mine, it gets squashed/flattened when closed and forms a barrier between the canopy and the proseal and possibly help preventing such incident. Only a theory and can't say with certainty.

No wind noise that I can hear through the Bose headsets.

Yes, but the seal wasn't a factor.

More details .. I had that strip underneath the proseal painted to match so you didn't see silver when the canopy was shut .. apparently the height of the paint was just enough to cause the white weather seal to protrude.

I think I'll give the white seal one more shot at placement .. it's kind of an eye sore.

Mine does that

It?s a little annoying. Think it?s fixed but after awhile it comes back. Down for paint now; they are going to try to address it. We?ll see.

D shaped seal

Could you give more detail about the seal from Home Depot, is is foam or rubber, the size? Since I put on the stronger lift struts, I now have wind whistle. I just have a thin foam strip in right now but it is a few years old.

On a good note, I am happy with the struts as I feel no normal wind will blow the canopy shut.

Could you give more detail about the seal from Home Depot, is is foam or rubber, the size? Since I put on the stronger lift struts, I now have wind whistle. I just have a thin foam strip in right now but it is a few years old.

On a good note, I am happy with the struts as I feel no normal wind will blow the canopy shut.

Here is one but they come in all different sizes and since not all canopies are fitted exactly the same, you can get the size that fits yours a bit better. They are rather inexpensive.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...M-Medium-Gap-Weatherseal-Tape-V25WA/100017014

It is a D-Shape weather strip cut in half. Both Home depot and Amazon carry them and you can use different size that fits your canopy better.

On my RV7A, I changed it from the VANs supplied to a different size and also added a flexible type adhesive to fill the gaps that just needed a bit more. Believe it or not, I got it to seal so water would not get in to the behind the panel area. The back window was a different story in the rain :(

What do you mean by cut in half?

Are the details of this on the RV14 plans and if so, what page?

Mine too

Bill, my forward seal was doing the same thing and I also got a minor case of the dreaded sealant ?pop? on my forward canopy skin. As part of the fix I re-did the sealant and got a new d-seal from Vans. I moved it back so it couldn?t squish out in the center section when I close the canopy. I don?t think moving it back will affect the quality of the seal.

I?m hoping I moved it far enough that the eventual paint job will not cause a repeat. However, the seal is pretty inexpensive.

What do you mean by cut in half?

Are the details of this on the RV14 plans and if so, what page?

The seal comes in two strips connected together (one foot of the seal will be sufficient for two one-foot section). If you take a look at the picture in the link I provided, it makes it easier to know what I mean. VANS is using the same seal and the separate the two strips and send them to you. If you buy them from Home Depot or Amazon, you simply do that yourself.

The seal comes in two strips connected together (one foot of the seal will be sufficient for two one-foot section). If you take a look at the picture in the link I provided, it makes it easier to know what I mean. VANS is using the same seal and the separate the two strips and send them to you. If you buy them from Home Depot or Amazon, you simply do that yourself.

Thanks,

Got it now!

No picture...I was in too much shock and then you posted about yours doing the same thing. It wasn?t as severe as yours and you can?t even see where where the skin was bent now. Mine was a slow build so I can?t assgn blame for excess sealant, but I trimmed it back and now it?s fine.

Moving that D-seal back definitely improved the look when the canopy is closed. I?m pretty certain the seal being too far forward combined with the sealant being applied too wide and thick was the issue. I probably need to spray some water on that joint and make sure it isn?t leaky but it appears to be sealed.

D seal

Thanks for the link on the Home Depot d seal. I will have to pick some up.

Back