Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
So I am good I don't use any of the three on the right in the picture, save for maybe alt air. What does that do? Outside of the obvious..

Or the oil shutter, never too hot never too cold in Oregon.
Just to clarify as well, all of them locations are for the fuel injected horizontal intake engine. The alternate air pass through is for the cable that opens a little door in the intake tube/plenum just past the air filter in case it ever gets blocked. As far as the shutter goes you probably don't need it where you live but I don't know. Where I live I know guys that have to tape their oil cooler completely off in winter. I'd rather be able to control it with a less "gheto" feel. haha This is the shutter. I also came up with what I thought the best area for the pass through was on that one.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 04-07-2019, 07:52 AM

Here are some pics of my canopy frame after bending. If anyone sees any problems or areas that need adjusted please please post or PM me. The only thing I haven't done yet is bring things in about 1/2" to account for canopy spread.

20190406_155103 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190406_155115 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190406_155135 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20190406_155149 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Just to clarify as well, all of them locations are for the fuel injected horizontal intake engine. The alternate air pass through is for the cable that opens a little door in the intake tube/plenum just past the air filter in case it ever gets blocked. As far as the shutter goes you probably don't need it where you live but I don't know. Where I live I know guys that have to tape their oil cooler completely off in winter. I'd rather be able to control it with a less "gheto" feel. haha This is the shutter. I also came up with what I thought the best area for the pass through was on that one.
I think I like the idea of alt. air! I will add that eyeball. I have an injected SDS setup so no mixture cable.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2019, 11:20 AM

Do all -7's firewalls have cutouts around the engine mount to fuselage bolt locations? How does one seal the firewall to fuselage engine mount brackets? What am I missing?
Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrichey View Post
Do all -7's firewalls have cutouts around the engine mount to fuselage bolt locations? How does one seal the firewall to fuselage engine mount brackets? What am I missing?
Jereme added a sheet of Titanium with a substrate of Fiberfrax sandwiched
between for fire protection. The cut out you see is the edge of the Ti sheet revealing the stainless firewall underneath.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

Old 04-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrichey View Post
Yep, Kent hit it on the head. We expose them areas so the mount isn't changed at all even after adding the fire protection.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 04-18-2019, 06:59 AM

Well I haven't been sittin here doing nothing since my last post. Since I'm waiting for it to warm up before cutting the canopy I decided to mount the tail. Yesterday I finished mounting the horizontal stabilizer, it takes quite a bit of time to get the bolt holes just right but man they came out perfect, couldn't be happier with them.

After careful marking I used 12" drill bits starting with a #40 to get the initial hole. You can see I placed an engineering square next to the bit to make sure it was square with the fuse. This method works well. The final hole was drilled with a 3/16" reamer as it was just long enough to give drill head clearance.

20190414_135405 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here are the finished holes, you can see they are centered really well (as well as how far back the rivets are on the angle, not sure why Van's put them so far back but hey it works!), it also looks perfect underneath but I forgot to get pictures of this.

20190414_150206 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I leveled the stab to the center section on the fuselage. This will ensure the stab is level with the wings. I found I needed an additional 0.040" shim on the right side under the bolts. I did expect this somewhat since I new the tail of the fuselage wasn't perfectly level when I built it, I spent many hours back then trying to remove any twist and I got it pretty dang close but not perfect. No big deal, Van's approved an extra shim and said it wouldn't be a problem.

20190414_215044 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Here is the finished product with all the holes drilled. I'm very happy with how this came out. I was worried about drilling them notoriously difficult holes but it went smooth as butter. On to the VS next!

20190417_190330 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Sweet dude! I have yet to do this. No room haha.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
financial contributor

Old 04-18-2019, 04:11 PM

Looks great! I assume you’re not planning to leave it on there with the space constraints you’re working with.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:21 PM

Default Great work!

I'm in awe at the rate your project is progressing. Doing a nice job too! Keep it up. When I get out of Phase 1 I'll have to stop by and see it.
best X-mas present I could have hoped for!
paid 'til 10-19