What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Engine Studs for E-mag

pa38112

Well Known Member
I am installing E-mags on my O-360. Does anyone know what part number or dimensions I need for the mounting studs to replace the longer studs on my impulse mag side?

You will get what you need

emag will send you the required studs and base gasket. Just remind them when you order. Also, if installing dual mags, follow the instructions on grounding, NOT to the forrest of tabs but a common engine point. Also, when timing dual mags, use a tee and time both mags at the same time. It DOES make a difference.

emag will send you the required studs and base gasket. Just remind them when you order. Also, if installing dual mags, follow the instructions on grounding, NOT to the forrest of tabs but a common engine point. Also, when timing dual mags, use a tee and time both mags at the same time. It DOES make a difference.
So is it not a good idea to ground a single Pmag setup to forrest of tabs? I have a single PMAG and standard slick mag setup. Thanks

So is it not a good idea to ground a single Pmag setup to forrest of tabs? I have a single PMAG and standard slick mag setup. Thanks

Correct - Emagair consistently tells everyone to ground the P-Mag to the engine case itself!

I never got an answer to my initial question. so thought I would post it here for others: The proper studs are 31C-12 Aircraft Spruce part number:08-06279.

I would strongly suggest investing $19 in an ARES 70016 stud extractor to replace these studs. Amazon has them.

Correct - Emagair consistently tells everyone to ground the P-Mag to the engine case itself!
For clarity: The ground being discussed is the electrical ground for the P-mag's internal electronics, and Paul is correct.

The P-lead ground is another matter.

If you have two P-mags, then you should use a separate case bolt to ground each P-mag.

Impulse Mag Stud - Red Loctite, Emag w/Light Speed

This looks like a good thread for this question.
I was told by an Aero Sport rep at OSH last year, that the impulse mag stud that needs swapped out for a shorter one - is held in place using red loctite. For those of you that have already done this - do you just heat up the stud with a propane torch to soften the red loctite? Any "gotchas" I need to know about?
The use of the stud extractor is a good idea - thank you. And thank you for posting PNs.
I am considering replacing my impulse mag with the 114 E-Mag when it is IRAN/OH time in about a year. Right now I have an impulse and Light Speed (w/crank sensor) . I plan on keeping the Light Speed. I know the timing (advance curves) from the two different electronic ignitions will not be the same - but they are not the same now either (with a mag and Light Speed). Suggestions from those who are running this setup appreciated.
Thank you!

Back