What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JB Aircraft Engine Services

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
First off. I am not affiliated in any way with JB Aircraft Engine Services except being a very satsfied customer.

When a major wallet changing event pops up unexpectedly it is really nice in todays world to find a company and a bunch of folks that can make it better for you. For me, that was Jimmy Brod and his crew at JB Aircraft Engine Services in Sebring, Fl.
I arrived at Jimmy?s place on Feb. 6th expecting at worse to get a top overhaul, at best a cylinder overhaul that was causing higher than normal oil consumption.
This was the first time in 13 years of owning my 8 that I had left it with a shop and I was a little apprehnsive. Jimmy and his crew are sponsors of Redline Airshows and he came very highly recommended by my friends, the late Jon Thocker and flight lead Ken Reider.
Well, the day after I dropped 8JL off I got a text and call from Jimmy that ruined my day.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=168961&highlight=Lifter+failure

This started me down the road to a new engine.

The upshot is that other than me having to unexpectedly pony up for a new engine, it was a great experience. We discussed what options I had what I got was a Superior IO360 with roller tappetts, balanced oil system, balanced engine with 9 to 1 compression and all the accessories either new or rebuilt, lord mounts, hoses, oil cooler and the list goes on..

Now for the praise. Jimmy kept me updated on the progress with teaser photos, problems and fixes and ways to save some money and completion date, which was only 25 days from start to finish and actually under the estimated cost.

I left Sebring one happy customer and enjoyed and learned from the experience. Jimmy and his crew are involved in the RV world and avid supporters.

If you are ever in need of an honest and trustworthy engine shop contact them and let them help you out.

https://www.jbaircraftengines.com/

yeah, but what color is it? :D

I'll be discussing an engine for the 8 with JB soon. He said he has some "ideas". Wonder how close they are to your build sheet?!

Enjoy.

Looks like a sleeper..

Well, we decided to leave it unpainted because they run a touch cooler that way. Looks like a real sleeper but pulls really hard. Jimmy said it should be about 195 hp.
I am now running it pretty hard for break in. At 4500 msl I set it up at 24.5 inches and 2450 rpm and I?m trueing 182kts TAS at 10.6 gph.
I know you will be pleased with your experince with them.

I’m on my second (and a half) engine from JB, and wouldn’t go anywhere else. Service is a big deal in this engine business, as I found out lately. My (former) partner had an unfortunate prop strike during his first engine start on our new RV8. I was 16 hours into phase I at the time. My insurance company wanted me to send the engine to Signature Engines here in Cincinnati. That wasn’t going to happen with my new JBA engine, and with my buddy Jon Thocker breathing down my back to get this thing unbolted, boxed, and sent to Florida, we had it on the way to JBA in a day. Jimmy is a busy guy, but he and his crew turned this engine around in less than a month - in June! The incident happened a couple days before Memorial Day, and I flew it with the new (rebuilt) engine on the 4th of July, with a borrowed spare Redline Hartzell on the nose. After I got our new prop, I had a dynamic balance performed and it was so smooth, he didn’t need to add any weights.

If you want to see a Superior IO-360 roller tappet engine up close, check out the JBA booth at Sun N Fun. My airplane will be on display there at the booth, so you can see how nicely it fits an RV8.

Last edited:
Back