What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to remove silk screen text from panel?

Gash

Well Known Member
I changed the N number on my RV-7. Can anyone tell me a good way to remove silk screened text from a powder coated instrument panel without damaging the underlying powder coated surface? Thanks very much!

If you go down the solvent path, try some on the back side of the panel first to be sure it does not attack the powder coat.

Or, go to a local trophy shop and get an engraved plate to cover up the old number.

If you go down the solvent path, try some on the back side of the panel first to be sure it does not attack the powder coat.
That's good advice right there. You have lots of solvents to choose from, depending on what the silk screeners used. IIRC, silk screeners use enamels, and the masks on the silk screens themselves are lacquer-based, so I'm guessing lacquer thinner wouldn't work. If it were me, I'd try plain old paint thinner first, then acetone or MEK. Good luck!

Remover

Maybe Google it - then try whatever is suggested on the back of the panel. Please let us know which one works.

cover plate

Through an FAA screw up, I lost the tail number that I had engraved in my powder coated panel insert. I made a cover plate that is being engraved and I'll install over the old tail number. PITA for sure.

That might be a better option than trying to remove the old one.

A vinyl sticker could look good if done by a sign shop. I made a decent looking RPM restriction sticker for the Bonanza using Avery Glossy White Labels from Staples using my inkjet printer set to high quality. I was very satisfied with the results.

Why risk a mis-match to the finish on the rest of the panel when a simple overlay will do the job?

http://engravers.net/materials.html

I understand what you mean, but I actually don't want anything there. I've always thought it's pointless to print an N number on the panel of an airplane you always fly. I can see how this is useful on a rental airplane, but not on my daily flyer.

Thanks for the link to the engraved plastic. I might have to do this regardless of my original preference just to avoid damage to the panel.

Back