What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scratches at front of engine cowling

jacksel

Well Known Member
Over the years my 15 year old RV-6 has accumulated numerous scratches at the forward edge of the engine cowling behind the spinner, all attributable to the act of removing and reinstalling the cowl. I recently tried applying a layer of Vans UHMW tape. No good. Starts to separate within 10 hours. Are their any other solutions out there? Appreciate any input.

Jacksel

Last year in Kitplanes magazine I had an article published that describes a "bib" I made out of thin pvc material. It can be purchased in the plumbing department at the big box stores. It is called "shower pan liner" and is used when tiling shower enclosures.

The bib is placed behind the spinner prior to installing or removing the cowling.

I use a couple of spring clamps to hold a cloth of some type between the spinner and cowl. I clamp it to the bottom cowl. My current cloth is a very shopworn microfiber towel.

I just slide a micro fiber cloth between the spinner and cowlings when removing or installing. Works great, even with the MT 3 blade.

I went the more expensive route on that!! I replaced a 2.25 in Prop spacer with a 2 3/8 in saber prop extension. Not for cowl scratches but it sure does allow the cowl removal and instal to go much easier. Actually the reason was to install a 15 lb cg correction wt under the spinner. But does work for cowl issues. Also the cg correction works great. Thanks Saber.

Back