What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

I’d like to be able to set Baro Minimums without leaving the Approach chart on a single GDU touch system.

Kent, I would suggest a G5 as a nice upgrade to your single GDU system. Not only does it give you a backup EFIS but it also talks via the CAN bus to your GDU allowing you to use the single knob on the G5 to adjust the baro setting. :)

EDIT: Never mind... you said minimums, not baro settings.

I have the same engine, it would be great if the G3X Touch could also read engine faults instead of my having to wire up the diagnostic software on a computer after I land.

Dynon has added the display of Faults via a recent SkyView software update. A Rotax 912iS is in my near future, as is a Garmin G3Xtouch. I would love to see the addition of Faults display added.

==
Michael

A Rotax 912iS is in my near future, as is a Garmin G3Xtouch. I would love to see the addition of Faults display added.

Hello Michael - Not to worry, if you have a Rotax 912iS FADEC engine you can see detailed FADEC status and fault information simply by accessing config mode on your G3X Touch system.

- Matt

Checklists as an optional page on the main display screen.

Having to go back to them on the main screen isn't terrible, but it keeps losing my spot.

Discrete Input (momentary switch - ACKNOWLEDGE BUTTON) to cancel MASTER WARNING and MASTER CAUTION LIGHTS. E.g. if one of the MASTER WARN or MASTER CAUT indicators depressed, it would send the signal to GAD27 or GEA24 and acknowledge the warning or caution msg without touching the screen.

Feature request: GMA 245(R) discrete input for pause/resume of Bluetooth audio source. (Possibly use the existing PLAY KEY discrete input for this, either when Bluetooth audio is playing or as a configurable option in lieu of the current functionality.)

Weather via Internet

The ability to show weather via internet connection (hotspot wifi from cell phone) for us non ADSB europe flyers would be nothing short of amazing. Basically what the Area 660 can now do. Thanks

Canned discretes shoule have user definable names

I just installed a G3X Touch system in my Velocity (haven't flown yet). There are a couple of canned special function discretes which have engine power setting as part of the logic (e.g., Door Open alarm becomes a warning if the power comes up). I love this as it eliminates the micro switch on the throttle lever. You can program all 4 of these to be doors (pilot, copilot, baggage, etc.), but you cannot specify which is which.

It would be nice to be able to name the discrete (as in the user defined discretes, e.g., "LH Door Open", "Bag Door Open", etc. Although I have a switch for each door, on the glass you only get one... i.e., when both doors are open, only one "Door Open" caution appears instead of two.

Another couple of discretes would be good as well. The TOGA used up one and I had only one remaining slot that used the pull down resister. A lot of pain just to get the speed brake discrete.

Don B

For the member who started this list; how about a recap and a full list of the suggestions on this thread.
Maybe a list indicating what is already available or what has been implemented.
Thanks

if you want to compile the list, I'll update the initial post- there's 22 pages to sort through, and i'm still waiting on aural alerts to be updated :rolleyes:

G3X Touch Portrait GDU 470 heading card

I'd like a software update to resized the Portrait GDU 470 PDF heading card to the same size as the GDU 370 non-touch Portrait PFD heading card.

When the 470 came out, there were two data field lines at the top of the screen. The ADI and Heading Card were sized smaller to make room for the data fields. In answer to many request, Garmin issued a revision to enable the pilot to select a single line of data. When the single line options is selected, the ADI enlarges to take up the space, but the Heading Card remains small. There is plenty of room for the Heading card to enlarge as well. This will look more balanced, and help old eyes like mine.

Last edited:
New FIS-B weather products announced by the FAA in June 2018 (lightning strikes, turbulence, icing forecasts, cloud tops, airmets and Center weather advisories).

I don`t know if I already posted it but I have also a wish?

The ability to use a discrete input to stop the touch functions on the screen. I know that this is maybe not wanted as it could cause problems if the input is damaged. But I have a Panel (GDU450) for the passenger and would love to have the ability to block the passenger from touching frequencies etc. I already have a switch to stop the functions on the stick and flap switch.

Also what RV7ForMe said.. Weather via Internet in Europe would be great!

Automatically set the weather altitude on the weather page for the weather closest to your actual altitude.

Setting for flap over speed for manual flaps.

+1. The G3X already has the flap position info, so having an overspeed warning which is dependent on flap position should be relatively easy: come on TeamX !

Autopilot altitude alerts

On climb or descent when climbing to a selected altitude you get the 1000? and 200? warnings with a loud tone. Scares the heck out of my wife every time. Any chance of getting voice alerts like the minimums or sink rate ones?? Sorry if this has been asked. I didn?t want to go through all the posts..😬

On climb or descent when climbing to a selected altitude you get the 1000? and 200? warnings with a loud tone. Scares the heck out of my wife every time. Any chance of getting voice alerts like the minimums or sink rate ones?? Sorry if this has been asked. I didn?t want to go through all the posts..😬

There is a volume setting for those that might help a little. They are in the config mode.

Is there a way to get fuel pressure displayed on the left with the rest of the engine info? I realize I can flip to engine page to see it, but I like having it up front. If I missed something when I set the system up, let me know.

I?m aware of that and it?s turned down but the tone is still very ?alarming ?.

Yep, all the bells, buzzers, beeps, and synthetic voices can be disturbing to passengers. On my last BFR my AOA beeper scared my CFI on takeoff. I forgot to warn him...he paid me back with extra training! LOL

Hello Michael - Not to worry, if you have a Rotax 912iS FADEC engine you can see detailed FADEC status and fault information simply by accessing config mode on your G3X Touch system.

- Matt

Matt, where in the config mode of the G3X Touch do I find the 912 FADEC faults? I had one today and couldn't find it, had to use the computer and the Rotax software to extract.

Thanks,
-Craig

Matt, where in the config mode of the G3X Touch do I find the 912 FADEC faults? I had one today and couldn't find it, had to use the computer and the Rotax software to extract.

Hello Craig,

For information on accessing FADEC engine status in configuration mode, please refer to section 24.2.7 of the current G3X Installation Manual (rev AE).

If you have any difficulties, please contact us via the email address below for best efficiency.

- Matt

Hey G3Xpert,

Do you have any responses on the feature request list? (now on P1 of this thread)

I'm really interested in not losing my place in my checklists, but also think there are a ton of good requests.

Thanks!

Here are a couple of things I noted during some recent cross countries:

- on map view you can touch restricted areas, MOAs, etc and get info - this doesn't work in chart (sectional) view

- when using XM radio, the "browse" button always goes back to station 0 ... for me, having it go to the most recent station would be better and make for less button twisting, since the stations are grouped by type. [yes I know and use favorites, but sometimes want to browse other stuff]

- allow for display of the range rings on the chart (sectional) view

- the animate weather option doesn't seem to stay on ... when turned on during a flight, leave the weather animated instead of returning to static weather

- keep the same zoom level when switching from chart to map and back

These are minor suggestions ... all in all I really love the integration and function of the G3X touch system!

Is there a way to get fuel pressure displayed on the left with the rest of the engine info? I realize I can flip to engine page to see it, but I like having it up front. If I missed something when I set the system up, let me know.

I think I understand your question - set the cht/egt to just display a single cylinder (the hottest cylinder will show) instead of the bar graph and I think your fuel pressure will show up. I prefer to see all cht/egt's at once 100% of the time, but not at the expense of fuel pressure.

The G3X is a fantastic flight display system, but the minimal configurability of the engine parameter display, and especially not being able to configure the amount of real estate dedicated to it, are a real weakness IMO.

Yep, all the bells, buzzers, beeps, and synthetic voices can be disturbing to passengers. On my last BFR my AOA beeper scared my CFI on takeoff. I forgot to warn him...he paid me back with extra training! LOL

So THATS what that is. I am kinda busy/focused at that point, just before rotation, and have not had the guts to look down, so did not know exactly what it was. THANKS!!

- optional "200 to minimums" "100 to minimums" callouts
- flap overspeed alert
- engine data download to garmin pilot like the G1000
- "Left to XXX in 5" turn callouts like on the GTN

Last edited:
Quick Reference to TRIM NEUTRAL position

I would appreciate if the reference trim letters, eg 'A' for ailerons would turn green if the trim position sensed by gea24 would be in the 'user defined neutral range'.

This would give me a quick reference before each Take Off so a pitch, aileron or rudder OUT OF TRIM take off shall be avoided. Master ̶C̶a̶u̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ Warning with appropriate warning could be triggered lets say if takeoff power is applied with speed less than 45kts or predefined speed and trim out of range (out of green band).

Same logic could be applied for flaps..

Last edited:
USER TIMER operated from discrete input

It would be comfortable to operate the G3X USER TIMER (stopwatch) by a remote button eg from the joystick. A discrete input could serve this purpose.

1click -Start
1click -Pause
hold button -Reset

It would be comfortable to operate the G3X USER TIMER (stopwatch) by a remote button eg from the joystick. A discrete input could serve this purpose.

1click -Start
1click -Pause
hold button -Reset

Really good suggestion!!! That would make the timer a lot more convenient.

G5 wish list addition

Can I chime in with a wish list addition to the G5 on this thread? It would be great if the G5 would be able to display ADS-B traffic and weather....but mostly traffic. For the most part the G5 is just along for the ride and it has the perfect size screen to display traffic and weather.

Mark

1click -Start
1click -Pause
hold button -Reset

Thanks for the idea. We are always trying to improve our products. I will see if this is something we may be able to do in a future release.

Keep the ideas coming, we try to our best to integrate your ideas when we can.

Thanks,
Levi
Team X Project Manager

Can I chime in with a wish list addition to the G5 on this thread? It would be great if the G5 would be able to display ADS-B traffic and weather....but mostly traffic. For the most part the G5 is just along for the ride and it has the perfect size screen to display traffic and weather.

Mark

i'd prefer they keep the G5 software as simple as possible, since it's a backup instrument, and i've worked with software developers enough to know that beauty is simplicity

i'd prefer they keep the G5 software as simple as possible, since it's a backup instrument, and i've worked with software developers enough to know that beauty is simplicity

I'm certainly no software engineer...heck, I can't even figure out how to post pictures on this forum, but I would think that with the way the G5 communicates with the G3x system and all of the information they share, that piping in ADS-B traffic information wouldn't be a big deal nor would it compromise the robustness or simplicity of the G5....but I may be mistaken.

Mark

I'm certainly no software engineer...heck, I can't even figure out how to post pictures on this forum, but I would think that with the way the G5 communicates with the G3x system and all of the information they share, that piping in ADS-B traffic information wouldn't be a big deal nor would it compromise the robustness or simplicity of the G5....but I may be mistaken.

Mark
It's a legitimate concern. Every line of code is a potential software bug. If you add 1,000 lines of code to accept, decode, and display ADS-B traffic (which, as a recovering software engineer, I would say is a very low estimate for the LOC necessary for those tasks), you add 1,000 opportunities for unexpected data, a noisy signal wire, or something else that was not completely tested before release to result in your backup instrument being useless when it's needed most.

Basically, software is very easy to write. You just take the expected inputs, the desired outputs, and draw a line between them. But the corner cases, where you get unexpected input, are where you find the difference between programming a web page for your pet hamster and programming an MRI machine or F-35 flight instrument.

It could be done, of course. But especially with the G5 being approved for use in type-certificated aircraft, it would probably be cost-prohibitive to completely test the new features.

It's a legitimate concern. Every line of code is a potential software bug. If you add 1,000 lines of code to accept, decode, and display ADS-B traffic (which, as a recovering software engineer, I would say is a very low estimate for the LOC necessary for those tasks), you add 1,000 opportunities for unexpected data, a noisy signal wire, or something else that was not completely tested before release to result in your backup instrument being useless when it's needed most.

Basically, software is very easy to write. You just take the expected inputs, the desired outputs, and draw a line between them. But the corner cases, where you get unexpected input, are where you find the difference between programming a web page for your pet hamster and programming an MRI machine or F-35 flight instrument.

It could be done, of course. But especially with the G5 being approved for use in type-certificated aircraft, it would probably be cost-prohibitive to completely test the new features.

Concern's understood. Hopefully G3Xpert will chime in on this and enlighten us a little more on weather or not incorporating traffic on the G5 would degrade its reliability to a point that they wouldn't want to possibly pursue this option at some point. Maybe it could be an option for us experimental guys and blocked out on type-certified ships if it?s cost-prohibitive in a ?certified? environment??

Mark

TERRAIN MUTE Button/Switch

Optional remote TERRAIN MUTE Button/Switch to quickly mute nuisance Terrain Warnings when flying VMC in mountainous area or approach surrounded by terrain in VMC.

Mute sound warning only, visual cues shall remain visible on map and synth vision.

Normally, (if installed) this switch should be guarded.

Last edited:
TeamX,

Sure would be nice if that fancy WIFI interface built into the G3X Touch screens would connect to FlyGarmin for xfering database files and or flight logs. More and more of us have WIFI access in our hangars.

Hint Hint Hint.

Merry Christmas!

Checklists should eligible for the start up page

I think the checklists should be eligible to be the default start up screen instead of having to hit <menu>, <menu>, <checklist>. After all, it is the first thing we all do, right?

IMHO...

I think the checklists should be eligible to be the default start up screen instead of having to hit <menu>, <menu>, <checklist>. After all, it is the first thing we all do, right?

IMHO...

I would also like faster access to checklists, and would REALLY like to not lose my spot in them every time I change screens.

For IFR training purposes, it would be nice to have the EFIS communicate with VR type goggles instead of having to use foggles or the shield. Not something for the G3 but perhaps for the G1000.

Fuel Flow Information

As one of the lucky folks to have a G3X Touch and GTN 650, I thought I?d renew my request for a feature to enable the G3X to emulate fuel format 1 or 2 (Shadin, ARNAV) on one or all of the RS-232 outputs.

This would enable the GTN 6xx & 7xx to use fuel flow information as part of the fuel planning functionality on the GTN.

See Table 5-5, Appendix C.3, of GTN 6XX/7XX Part 23 AML STC Installation Manual, 190-01007-A3.

Thanks!

B

Back