What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Static Line Attach

macrafic

Well Known Member
Just fueled my RV-7A for the first time. It is amazing the small things one never thinks about.

I went to attach the static line from the fuel pump and realized that, where I have traditionally attached them on Pipers and Cessnas (the wing tie-down), I don't have the tie-downs inserted in my RV and, although I do carry them with me. In this case, the static line was long enough to attach to my tail tiedown, which I leave in to act as an empennage connector in case I get overly zealous on my pitch-up attitude on takeoff. Can't count on that, however.

Short of having to add ("insert wing tie-down") to my refueling process, anybody else have any ideas? I am guessing there will be many who use the exhaust, but that is something I hesitate to do. It is an accident waiting to happen (trying to start the aircraft with the static line in the way). This has happened to one of our flying club planes.

I use the exhaust, but park with the wingtip pointing at the gas pump. The static line stays well behind the prop.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

exhaust

I also use the exhaust, and have so far, thankfully, in almost 40 years of flying, not forgotten to disconnect it - knock on wood!

Ground point

I use exhaust pipe, like Mickey said, wingtip at pump, ground wire and clamp clear of prop.

Don't make easy hard

You're overthinking it.

Having spent eighteen years of my life fueling aircraft, ( I can't believe it either) and literally hundreds and hundreds of them from small planes to airliners, I can't think of a single time I ever left a bonding cable attached.

1. Fuel your plane
2. Stow the nozzle
3. Shut off the pump
4. Disconnect and stow the bonding cable.
5. Go get your receipt.
6. Do a quick check of the area. Taxi away.

Here are some tips:
Put a set of those cheap leather gloves in your plane. The hoses will turn your hands black. And the bonding cables get their insulation worn off and you need to protect your fingers.

When pulling out the bonding cable, throw the clip on the ground at your feet, then unwind the cable onto the ground with enough length, then pull it over to the plane and hook it up to the exhaust. The reels of the bonding cables are notorious for malfunctioning or getting all tangled. If the reel keeps wanting to wind back up, tie a simple knot at the reel and leave it that way.

When pulling the hose out, go past the tank, get the hose reel to latch and then walk back to the fuel cap. That way you're not fighting the reel springs or the weight of the hose. Depending on your particular style, throw (or don't) the hose over your shoulder. Again, watch out for dirty hoses though; it can ruin your shirt.

When going from one tank to the other, don't drag the hose across the bonding cable. That's a sure fire way to pull it off the exhaust and sometimes it will reel itself back up. Not fun as the clip and wire goes across the ramp and slams itself into the reel. That's one reason why they always seem to get jacked up.

Use caution to squeeze the clip when removing it from your exhaust so you don't scratch it up too much.

I prefer to use a towel to lay the cap on the wing. Or get one of those shelf/toolbox liner materials. I always hated those heavy rubber mats our bosses wanted us to use.

By the way, I painted the tie-down rings on my Cessna. I sure wouldn't use them as a bonding location.

Congratulations on getting your RV-7A done.

Last edited:
First fuel.

Just fueled my RV-7A for the first time. It is amazing the small things one never thinks about.

You beat me to it. I am a few weeks behind you. W&B on Monday. We should have nice "cool" temps for first flight!

I use the exhaust as well and I pull in facing the pump. If you pull straight in to the pump not only is hose management easier but you have to push your airplane back to start it anyway...not much chance of forgetting the grounding strap. :)

Back