What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Quick Build Wings and Fuselage Projects

Bart

Well Known Member
I am finally finished with the inventory of the QB wings and fuse delivered last week and was wondering who has an RV-10 project with these QB kits versus the regular kit. Most of the websites I've seen are the whole kit and not the QB versions. I?ve learned a lot from all the sites but would like to focus on QB sites while I get started on this portion of my project.

QB RV-10

Currently doing a QB 10 here in Peachtree City. We have all the kits. The fuselage QB process starts at page 32 according to Vans. Haven't looked at the wings that closely but there is probably a starting step for them also. Anyone know? FWF and finish kits due here in a few weeks. Tore down a new IO-540 yesterday to install the new crank Lycoming requested.

RV-10 QB vs. SB

I've read the string and a lot of discussion about how its up to the build and mount of time needed, or willing to commit. But what about quality? For those that have built or are building the QB version have you noticed any issues with quality of the completed components? How about corrosion protection? Are the parts fully coated? Have there been any issues with tank seals?......etc...

I have in the final phase of my decision making process and just want to tie up the loose ends on my evaluation between SB and QB. Time is not the issue for me.

Thanks and I look forward to providing updates as I get started..

Ron

It all depends on your goals. If you want a finished and flying airplane sooner rather than later, QB is a reasonable way to go.

If you're really enjoying the build and time is not a factor, I'd recommend SB. (I'm doing a QB.) The build quality is... satisfactory and airworthy. It is not an example of craftsmanship. It's an example of something that was assembled in a factory whose goal was to efficiently produce something safe & airworthy. I found several instances of rivets that were not set well - some that I would have absolutely removed and redone (and did.) Lot's of blemishes, scratches, etc. But if you're going to paint, that's not a huge deal.

I will likely build again after I finish my 10 and the next kit will absolutely be a SB.

Also consider the significant added cost of the QB vs SB. If time was not a factor, I personally would not consider the QB..

My 2 cents.

RV-10 QB vs SB

Thanks Eric for your input. I am certainly leaning towards the SB for quality control and piece of mind. I have the time and will certainly enjoy the build process. The Vans community has a wealth of good information and I look forward to getting the 10 built.

Ron

QB Kits

I have the QB fuselage and wings.

I found the workmanship to be fine. Is it possible to do it better? Perhaps, however, after the first blemish on a skin due to riveting, you re-evaluate. I went over my QB kits by looking at every section in the plans and I was happy, for the most part with the fit and finish*.

I was really surprised when it cam time to attach the tailcone. I put the piece I built together with the piece that they built and every single hole matched up perfectly...I would say that speaks volumes about the QB build.

It is NOT possible to build a PERFECT airplane...you need to decide where your standard is and try to stay above it.

Read through the forums. There are always pages asking whether a part should be replaced or just to build on.

* I note this statement as there were a couple of areas to take minor issue with.

The worst issue was that they used 14 AN470 rivets in the area of the fuselage where the cabin top sits. Initially, I missed the error but once I started fitting the cabin top it became very apparent. It was an easy fix, just drill the incorrect rivets out, debut, countersink, and rivet using AN426 flush rivets. All incorrect rivets were easily accessible. Took less than an hour.

The other issue, if you even want to call it that, was the forward footwell skins were in place. If you were planning on installing insulation or anything under the floor in these areas, removal would be required. Search the forums to see how other people removed them. Hint: the landing gear mounts are in the way...

I didn't really have any issues with the wings, the went together just fine and the fit and finish was fine. One of the ailerons had a ding in the leading edge but van's took care of it. As a side note, I have the original RV-10 ailerons with the QB kit but my plans had the new style (RV-14) plans. Once I figured it out, Van's sent the old style plans and everything was fine.

One thing to be aware of is that if you order the QB kits, make sure you have the space to store them while working on other parts...

RV-10 QB

The first RV10 I did the complete slow build and I am now in the process of building a second one that is both the Fuselage and Wing QB kits.

Both kits are a pleasure to work on and the only reason I did the QB kit this time around is that I did not wanted to get flying. But once completed, I will do another slow build, probably a RV14.

The workmanship I also found to be done very well. There are some mistakes here and there but they are easily found as long as you go through each step of the instructions to check their work. Seems like each QB builder finds some different areas. For example, Bob found the wrong rivets in where the cabin top goes, but mine were correct.

Also, all the mating parts that I built and the ones that were done QB have matched up perfectly as well.

Bob also mentioned the footwells. I did plan on doing a full insulation package from SoundEx so these had to come out. I did remove the landing gear mounts from the fuselage and then removed the floors. Was not to bad but did take about 10 hours to remove and reinstall.

I have the QB wings and fuselage on my RV-10 project. I found the QB work to be very good. Found they had installed some nut plates in the wrong locations, but it was a simple task to drill them out and install them in the right place. The riveting quality on my was excellent. All the internal parts had been primed with the Van's recommended "standard" primer. So I'm very happy with my decision to go QB.

I built an RV-6 back in the day and can tell you that the prepunched kits for the -10 are spectacular in slow-build form. That said, I bought a QB -10 fuselage and have been pleased with it.

One issue I found was that the curve of the upper left longeron didn't match the template in the vicinity of the baggage door. That required drilling out 20 or so rivets and fitting some serious shims in that area. Another was that the main gear weldment was in contact with some of the seat structure and other structure in that vicinity, which I didn't like at all. That required removing the weldment and giving some structure an attitude adjustment.

Back