What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wireless Tire Pressure

N743RV

Does anyone have experience with wireless tire pressuresensors...the little transducers that attach to the valve stem and send pressure and temperature to a remote sensor. Checking tire pressure on my 7A currently requires removing the wheel pants and am looking for a solution that doesn't require a hole in the side of the pants. I notice that Sporty's has a $300 version but that there is a similar auto version at NewgateMall website for $160. Any ideas?

Airless Tire Pressure

Spruce also carries them. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tiresensor.php

I talked to the company owner back when he was developing this product. It's very similar to automobile products.

Tires/tire pressures are my number one max concern on my RV. One flat in the evening away from the home airport is enough for my entire lifetime!

Yes, you can 'jack up' the wing with your back out under a wingtip.

Remote pressure sensors

Do you need to rebalance you wheels if you have these? I was worried that they weigh a bit and may cause a shimmy if you do not balance the wheels with the sensor weight accounted for.

Remote tire pressure

What a great idea! Just one dang gadget after another. Sure would be nice to know if a tire went flat during a flight, before landing. Though never had it happen to me in 35 yrs of flying.

I'd rather take a look.

"Just one dang gadget after another..."

Nothing wrong with the technology, the sensors in my Mini Cooper's tires seem to work just fine. My problem with this plan is that one should inspect the tires on their airplane more than once a year. About once a month I take the wheel fairings off my '8', adjust the pressure and give the tire, wheel, and brakes a good looking over. There have been stories on this forum of "surprise" tire and brake failures that could have been avoided with a little maintenance.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Coincidently....

When I was at the hanger today my next door neighbor showed me his air pressure monitor. It's the same one that's in the link to the Spruce website.
The wireless senders are very small and light. They just screw on the valve stem. They're powered by a watch battery.

He said that ACS did not have them, so he ordered directly Southern Precision Components.

There's only one thing I don't like about those small pressure caps : instead of the valve, it's now the sender that has maintain the tire pressure. The valve is always opened...

I friend of mine had to swap 3 out of 4 on his car because they were causing a slow-leak...

Valve caps

There's only one thing I don't like about those small pressure caps : instead of the valve, it's now the sender that has maintain the tire pressure. The valve is always opened...

I friend of mine had to swap 3 out of 4 on his car because they were causing a slow-leak...

I hadn't thought about that. The automotive, at least factory ones I have, are installed inside the tire, stuck to the wheel. Of course, that assumes tubeless tires. The replacement valve cap design, overriding the Schrader valve, would be a deal breaker for me.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The slow leak may be through the threads and might be corrected with some teflon tape? Would be a hassle but might solve the problem of someone who already has this set up.

Last edited:
With a little experience of your RV, you can "check" the tyre pressure fairly well just by how much tyre is flat on the ground - how much effort it takes to push it along etc.

Technology sounds great, but does it really work? The airline I fly for has half the Airbus tyre pressure indication systems disabled - it is easier / more reliable to get engineers to check them :eek:

The airline I fly for has half the Airbus tyre pressure indication systems disabled - it is easier / more reliable to get engineers to check them :eek:

Good Grief. Makes you wonder what else is disabled. Goes to show--It is safer flying your own RV with your own tire pressure sensors installed and working. :rolleyes:

Jarvis...

Makes you wonder what else is disabled. Goes to show--It is safer flying your own RV with your own tire pressure sensors installed and working
Assuming you are serious, 100% disagree :eek: What makes a "tyre pressure" sensor added benefit? They are inherently unreliable, complex, and as alluded to above, could well cause a problem in the 1st place. On the Airbus they are "customer options" anyway - their purpose is to save maint costs by not requiring a daily check of the tyre pressures. If we get a "lo tyre pressure" warning in flight there is no drill, and we know that 99% of the time, it's the sensor system...

My overall point is that by pushing your RV out of the hanger, and looking at the tyre lying on the ground, you are making a fairly good assessment of the tyre pressure. I doubt a sensor would add much to that knowledge, and if people then stopped looking at the tyres because they have a (non-duplicated) sensor, the Flight Safety benefit is probably negative ;)

Andy

Andy

It was a sarcastic reply. I just couldn't resist.:p But hey RV's are sure more fun, and you can't argue that!! Please tell me you airline guys don't ignore your control surface hinge point safety pin and bushing security alarms, I just may never fly commercial again!!:D

Jarvis

easy solution

Besides the other suggestions (just check rolling resistance and appearance of tire on ground), what I did to make easy to check and inflate is just drill about a 1" hole in the side of each pant, at the appropriate location to hit the valve stem. Then I put in a pop-in plastic hole-filler (sorry, I don't know the official name, but available in any hardware store to cap a hole in a sink top or electrical box, for example).

Then I made or bought 3 tools to support it - a pressure gauge with straight-in head, a 10mm socket on a rod (to RR&R the cap), and a straight-in air chuck.

Works great, hardly noticeable when the plug is in place. Of course, it helps that my pants are white and these come in white plastic (and maybe black or metal to be painted).

The I used a silver sharpie to mark the tire sidewall at 6:00 when the valve is aligned with the hole. It all makes checking and setting tire pressures easy. IMHO, look and feel of tires isn't reliable enough and pressures can sneak down too low before you notice it.

I'll upload a pic of it

HTH,
brian

Last edited:
Good Grief. Makes you wonder what else is disabled. Goes to show--It is safer flying your own RV with your own tire pressure sensors installed and working. :rolleyes:

Not that unusual Jarvis, airline I used to fly for had brake fans on their A 300's. They were a very high maintenance item,:mad: so eventually, the airline disabled them, and then took them all off.;) Too much hassle.

With a little experience of your RV, you can "check" the tyre pressure fairly well just by how much tyre is flat on the ground - how much effort it takes to push it along etc.

This method works without batteries, that will most likely be dead when you least expect.

Back