What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pennsylvania builders

Don E

Well Known Member
Looking for any PA builders who have recently registered their kit plane. I got my registration; now I got greetings from PA. How did you handle the sales/use tax issues? What was the outcome? Only PA please.
Thank you.

Looking for any PA builders who have recently registered their kit plane. I got my registration; now I got greetings from PA. How did you handle the sales/use tax issues? What was the outcome? Only PA please.
Thank you.

I have not finished mine, but I am told that others in PA have simply presented the list of parts and receipts to the Dept of Revenue. Aircraft parts are not taxable in PA, and there is no personal property tax, so they have nothing to collect.

Not a lawyer or tax advisor, but this is what I have been told by others.

I have not finished mine, but I am told that others in PA have simply presented the list of parts and receipts to the Dept of Revenue. Aircraft parts are not taxable in PA, and there is no personal property tax, so they have nothing to collect.

I believe you are correct, the tax laws changed just after I registered mine years ago in PA. The state gets a feed from the FAA and they dont know if it is an experimental build from parts or purchased.

Call them and explain.

Tax

This is correct. When I had gotten a tax bill from harrisburg after registering my tail number. I called and talked to a very nice lady in the aviation tax Dept. I explained what it was and she said only the kits to form the airframe are taxable and aircraft parts are exempt. She said to send a letter explaning that and return the tax bill to them. I paid them on the upcoming tax time.

Close

Thank you.

Don, you are very close to me. I just got a hangar at S37 after being on the waiting list for 1 1/2 years. If you ever want to get together and check out each others builds, pm or email your info. I should me moving the project to the airport in about 2 months.

Joe

Back