What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Flying Rallies

You may like it very much

It is a form of competition flying airplanes that places the emphasis of pilot planning and execution with no preference for aircraft performance. In the past an organization called the U. S. Air Race, Inc. put on longer handicapped cross country air races with each airplane carrying a pair of data loggers that were processed by officials after the race. The concept was effective in elimination of the need for turn monitors and a good time was had by all. Basing it in precision of navigation and landing etc. would eliminate the handicap miseries but the thrill of racing would be gone as well (for those so inclined). This type of event would appeal to a lot of folks I suspect.

You personally might be interested in a race scheduled for your home state on August 13 and two in neighboring states on June 4 and July 24:

The Big Muddy Air Race
4 June, 2011
Carbondale, IL (MDH)

Air Venture Cup
24 July, 2011
Dayton, OH (MGY)

The Indy Air Race
13 August, 2011
Indianapolis, IN (field TBD)​

The details are posted and updated as the races draw more near at www.sportairrace.org. The AirVenture Cup Race is also covered at www.airventurecup.com (currently it still shows last years race from Mitchell, South Dakota but this year's race is out of Dayton, Ohio).

Bob Axsom

limited to licensed amatuer radio operators

flying rallies that use your APRS track to verify/validate your performance

I this this would be a great idea. But that is partly because I am a licensed HAM radio operator and already planning to add APRS equipment to my airplane.

Those are two things that limit the "field of players".

If there was the ability to submit any loggable track data (which would include APRS, downloadable GPS track, low-cost hand held GPS trackers, etc.) then the potential participation may be large enough. These could be even be done like poker runs where the course need not be run on a specific day/time. (just some ideas)

I will float the idea with the local pilots in my area and see if there is interest in the concept.

I this this would be a great idea. But that is partly because I am a licensed HAM radio operator and already planning to add APRS equipment to my airplane.
[snip]

I have the fixed frequency Byonics RTG APRS transmitter. This is a plug and play device that starts transmitting with the application of power and is pre-configured to automatically transmit position and station ID. If the licensed ham turned on the device and turned it off at the completion of the flight does he have to be physically present during operation? I think it could be looked at like an unmanned repeater. Of course I took the test for my General forty years ago so there are a few cobwebs.

I have the fixed frequency Byonics RTG APRS transmitter. This is a plug and play device that starts transmitting with the application of power and is pre-configured to automatically transmit position and station ID. If the licensed ham turned on the device and turned it off at the completion of the flight does he have to be physically present during operation? I think it could be looked at like an unmanned repeater. Of course I took the test for my General forty years ago so there are a few cobwebs.

Steve, there has been discussion on this topic and it seems there is a lot of reason to believe your scenario would meet the letter of the regulations. There will, of course, be those who disagree......for a variety of reasons....... ;)

no-code technician license is easy

I keep forgetting that "when I first became an amateur operator" (yes, it was a while ago), you had to learn morse code. It was a rite of passage and for most people, it was by far the hardest part. Today, the technician class license is all you need for APRS and there is no morse code requirement.

So, I'd say, pick up the a test prep book, try a couple of the prep-exams (http://www.arrl.org/licensing-preparation-exams) and get your ticket ! It really is easy and as someone else noted here of VAF, if you can build an RV, you surely can get through the written exam for your technician class.

Back