What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looks like two of the same part?

didja

I have emailed van's already (they were closed already when I discovered this), but am wanting to just make sure that I am not wrong in what I believe to be the problem.....

I am currently working on the rear spar for the right wing. This is the first wing I started on (haven't touched the left wing yet). As I went to get the rear spar, I pulled the two parts apart from their shipping tape and after looking at it closer, it appears that the two parts are both for the left wing. One is labeled W-00007A-L and the other is labeled W-00007-R, but when put side by side, they appear to both definitely be of the left influence.....

I am hoping that the pictures I took will attach correctly, but if you look, the first picture shows the two labels (the one from what is supposed to be the right spar has been removed, but I put it back just to show reference and to show the label. You can see that the bluing matches the holes in the spar). It shows that they are labeled left and Right.

20180906_162605.jpg

If you look at the second picture, it shows where the reinforcement fork attaches and they are both on the same side, with the flanges orientated the same (with the aft facing flange on top and the forward facing flange on bottom).

20180906_162612.jpg

And if you look at the third picture, it shows where the outboard doubler attaches, again, on the same side and with the flanges both orientated the same way.

20180906_162620.jpg

I just want to make sure that I am not missing something. Its not usual for Van's to mislabel things like this in my experience so far. I just emailed them tonight so I am hoping to hear back tomorrow, but just wanted to see if I was wrong or not. Thanks

I had the exact same thing happen a few months ago. Same part as yours. I looked at it for an hour thinking I was looking at it wrong, but it was 2 lefts, but one labelled right. Looks like they may have done a batch of lefts marked as right. They were quick to send out a correct spar, but a costly mistake for them with shipping a part that big.
Good luck.

Kerry

Same here

Same exact part for me as well. I had 2 lefts - one marked as a right. I had already match drilled and cut the hole before I realized it. Vans was quick to send out replacements. I was real concerned that the replacement would not makeit w/o damage but it was crated in plywood very well. All good now..

Ok, glad to know I'm not crazy! It was driving me crazy! I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow with plans on when to expect the right part!

Moving on...

The good thing is there is plenty of other things to do till new parts arrive.. The leading edges and fuel tanks occupy a fair amount of time.

not uncommon

Had similar mix-up in my tailcone kit, two R stiffeners instead of R/L. Mothership sent correct part next day.

Yep, that's two left rear spars. I received two left tank attach brackets, but Van's sent out the right one (both meanings of the phrase!) forthwith.

I built two left wings before I noticed.

hahaha!!! :D:D

I received an email from Erik at Van's and he was very helpful in getting this all straightened out!

I've always been impressed by Van's customer service and this is no exception!

Back