What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which side of cowl to cut?

Cleco 97

I have the top cowl riveted on, as well as the lower bottom hinges. Next step looks to be the joint between the upper and lower halves, followed by riviting of those hinges. My question is, does it matter if you cut the lower half or the upper half before installing the hinges? It looks like either could work, but think I have a bit more room if I cut the lower half. Plane is RV-7, engine is O-360, and has the standard Vans cowling.

Thanks in advance

One thing to consider. Putting on the lower cowl is not the most fun. Without the wheel in front it will be easier but the shorter in height the bottom cowl is, the easier it would be to install. With a 3 blade prop, even 1/2" shorter makes a difference.

We have the same aircraft and engine. I trimmed both the upper and lower cowling. Before trimming I found the neither edge was straight, so part of the process was to create a straight edge.

There was a thread here where Dan Horton went through fitting the cowling and trimming the edges. I have not found it.

Here is a link to my process. It is similar to Dan's though his descriptions were much better as well as his amazing fiberglass work.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/category.php?user=sdahrens&project=248&category=11167

Another Resource for info......

Another resource would be to use the RV-14 cowl install plans for reference.
The RV-14 cowling is different in physical shape but the general design, and installation process is pretty much the same.

You can find it on the web site HERE

Alignment?

I have the top cowl riveted on, as well as the lower bottom hinges. Next step looks to be the joint between the upper and lower halves, followed by riviting of those hinges. My question is, does it matter if you cut the lower half or the upper half before installing the hinges? It looks like either could work, but think I have a bit more room if I cut the lower half. Plane is RV-7, engine is O-360, and has the standard Vans cowling.

Thanks in advance

The other concept to consider is 'alignment' with the longeron or think of it as the overall line of the plane. I did not think about this and trimmed the cowls top-bottom to fit well before realizing that the junction of the cowl was on a different alignment from the overall plane, conspicuously. The eye can detect small misalignments in the end.

At the point that you have positioned the top cowl this 'join' line can be established, after which the bottom cowl is trimmed to match that line.

At least that was my experience. YMMV. "Measure twice, cut once" (don't do what I did).

If you are going to consider alignment as Gary suggested, think about making the canopy foreskin longer by about 3/4" on each side and on the skirt along the canopy. This applies if you are doing a tip up. Im not sure how hings fit on a slider. I did this on my 9 tip up and the skin overhangs line up from the firewall to the rear window. It gives the added advantage of covering the joint between the fuselage and canopy keeping wind and water from coming in.

Emil me if you want a picture. Remember, no matter how it is done, you still have a RV!

Last edited:
Thanks all

Thanks all. I will look at these sites, and take your advice into consideration. Ive been following Brantels Pepto Pink install documentation, and will incorporate this info into my install. Thanks again!

Tom

Holy Smokes Scott! That is exactly what I was looking for. The drawings and directions for the RV-14 is really good. Detailed and succinct. I like! Thanks

Back