What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will helmet (or head) break the canopy?

StickNRudder

With my seat a comfortable height for normal (blue-side up) flying, I find when I do neg g maneuvers my helmet hits the canopy. I cinch up the belts but it still happens. I have a slider and was concerned if I could crack the canopy?

If I am not going to be doing aerobatics, I don?t wear the helmet and my head doesn?t hit even in turbulence. The things I have thought of: lower the seat but that will restrict forward visibility, pad the helmet, don?t wear a helmet, or don?t worry about it.

Do you have a ratchet belt? Removed same from right side at her insistence but now can't secure passengers anywhere close to my belt for acro.

Do you have a ratchet belt? Removed same from right side at her insistence but now can't secure passengers anywhere close to my belt for acro.

I have a Crow 5-point harness. I thought it would be ok. It sounds like a ratchet style might be needed. You selling the one you removed?

One Data Point

I have heard of one occurrence, here in Colorado, where a very seasoned RV-6 pilot smacked his head during turbulence and cracked his slider canopy enough that it needed to be replaced. That being said, I believe the canopy had flown for many years before this occurred. Although it's always been hangared, it sees a lot of flight hours too.

Shoulder straps

I wonder if it is due to the way Vans shoulder straps route from behind instead of below.
Driving a race car, the straps route down. The really cinch you down in the seat.

Shoulder straps from behind is the recommended approach, since a downward angle puts a downward compressive load into the spine in a crash.

To prevent moving upward in aerobatics, tighten that seat belt.

Ages ago, I learned aerobatics in an open-cockpit airplane over the ocean. The first thing we'd so was roll upside down and roll back upright. Then we'd tighten our safety belts as much as possible. We repeated this and if necessary, we tightened again. Having no canopy and a cold ocean underneath made this seem important.

Dave

My old acro instructor said to to tighten the ratchet until your pelvis cracks, and then tighten it one more cycle for good measure. The lap belt really needs to be tight to keep from moving up/down.

I see the problem, thanks. I really tightened the shoulder straps but left the lap belt at it?s normal tension. Next week I?ll try again.

Back