Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-14-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber25 View Post
Considering that at this stage of the build, one should have mastered the basics of bolt hole and rivet spacing, what does the rest of the project look like?

I have two friends that are looking for RV4's right now and seeing this makes me shudder.

Hans
The project had 2 builders before me. You can see where the first left off and the second took over. There are some areas that need to be addressed but overall it's not a bad build.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM

Have you looked at the wing spar flanges where the fuel tanks attach? When I pulled the tanks on my project I was horrified at what I found. My spars are trash and have to be rebuilt.
RV-4 (N684ML) under construction
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acam37 View Post
Have you looked at the wing spar flanges where the fuel tanks attach? When I pulled the tanks on my project I was horrified at what I found. My spars are trash and have to be rebuilt.
Over countersunk?

Yes, mine look fine. I'll get more pictures later today.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Yikes! That doesn't look so good. Is this your second 4 project?

The only thing that gave me concern on my wings was this relief in the spar, but it is identical on both and anodized so I believe it came from phlogiston this way.

Last edited by MS1095 : 01-14-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 AM

Yes sir. Two RV-4 projects and two nightmares. I figured I would have learned my lesson the first time. I didn’t mean to hijack your thread, I just wanted to point out some common hidden builder mistakes that I have personally encountered. It looks like you are experienced in taking on this challenge and know what is “acceptable” and what is not. At least Vans has excellent builder assistance and readily available spare parts. I will be following your progress and hope to see it in the air pretty soon.
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 PM

I pulled the right side skin today and to my horror I found this. Looks like I am going to be replacing the longeron. I just don't understand how someone could do this. The rivet spacing was great right up until they drilled the mount weldment.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Default Ugly Dog Contest?

Kidding.....
actually, not kidding.
Sometimes it just seems better to say not worth it. Later it'll be your behind in the seat. How will that feel?
regular VAF donor despite being exempt
Old 01-16-2018, 10:37 PM

You will also need to replace those firewall angles. I don't think they are supposed to be notched. At least mine weren't. Look at the plans carefully and double check.
KOCH Nacogdoches
Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM

Either the second builder is guilty of extremely poor workmanship or did not realize he purchased a pig in a poke and eventually sold it to the next unsuspecting builder.

This lack of pride and professionalism in building, especially in an area as critical as the firewall is totally unacceptable and then selling it off to someone else in my opinion is unethical.

However, I must question the inspection made prior to the last purchase since most of the area is visible with an inspection mirror, flashlight and knowledge of what is acceptable in simple aircraft construction and maintenance.

I'm surprised there have been so few posts registering concern that this blatantly poor workmanship might exist in this group.

I expected better.

Hans Miesler

A+P, ATP

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,