What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skysports Capacitance Fuel Senders

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Using Skysports Capacitance Fuel Senders with G3X Touch

This question is for the Garmin X guys, but I think it has relevance for anyone wanting to use the Skysports capacitance fuel senders in their RV using the G3X system. I am installing a dual Touch system with the GEA 24 engine monitoring system. I have two Skysports capacitance fuel senders. I wanted to use Fuel 1 and Fuel 2 as shown on page 29-2 of the current G3X Touch install manual. Here's my question: the senders say 12 volts on them; the Fuel 1 and 2 channels show an excitation voltage of 5 volts. On the next page, 29-3, it shows the same Skysports probes using Aux Fuel 1 and 2 with an excitation voltage of 12 volts. It seems to imply that the Skysports senders (with the same part numbers) will work with either 5 or 12 volts excitation. Is this a correct assumption?

I need the two available 12 volt excitation channels for another purpose, so my options are to use the 5 volt channels or to run 12 volts from the aircraft main bus to Fuel 1 and 2 instead of using pins 5 and 8 which supply the 5 volts. If the senders will work with 5 volts, my issue is resolved. I'm hoping this is the case.

Any help from Garmin here would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would not assume anything. Using the wrong voltage can damage equipment. What does the Skysports manual say?

Robert, it's hard to tell really which Skysports sensors you have because the part numbers are not stamped on the sender. The ones I have have three wires, red, black and yellow (labeled POS, NEG, and SEND respectively) with "12 Volts" stamped on the head. These have the 12" aluminum tube. I understand that Aircraft Spruce bought out the Skysports business. I have the sheet that you referenced in your post and see that the called for input voltage is 11 to 28 volts dc. I'm of the impression that there's just one basic sender with a variety of lengths of the aluminum tube. All of these Skysports fuel senders that I have seen photographs of look essentially the same.

The part number listed by Garmin in the G3X Installation Manual does not match up with anything I've seen from Skysports. I think there's a lot of confusion generated because of the merger with Spruce perhaps. My thought is that Garmin has tested these senders and determined that they will work with either 5 volts or 12 volts input. Really, what I'd like from Garmin is some guidance on whether to use the 5 volt inputs provided with Fuel 1 and 2, or to use 12 volts from the aircraft main bus. I'm holding off pinning these wires until I hear from Garmin.

Thanks!

Back