VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Regional Forums > Texas (South)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Game Camera?
Be aware of local laws relative to surveillance cameras. In some municipalities a sign on the exterior of the building indicating surveillance cameras are being used is required.

You may learn who just broke into your hangar but the evidence may be inadmissible in court.

I don’t like it either.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
....a guy in Texas listed on Barnstormers a variety of high dollar headsets for what I’d consider to be fantastic prices. Could be totally legit, could be a professional refurbisher, etc, but it might be worth looking into. A search on their website should pull up the ad.
Just an FYI; the guy in Texas selling headsets on Barnstormers is a regular poster (based Brenham) on the Pilots of America forum. I don't know the guy and can't say for sure that he's not the culprit, but he's been selling headsets for at least a couple of years now. Another member of the POA board is also based in Taylor and mentioned the hangar break-ins, but so far I've seen no rumblings towards the Brenham guy being kinda fishy.

To me it seems that if a fellow pilot was breaking in to steal and sell stuff, he wouldn't be active on a pilot web board...
New Waverly, TX

VAF donation Dec 2017
Old 12-15-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
You mentioned "while it was locked away in the hangar"..was it still locked, meaning someone got keys? We are going through a new lease agreement where the airport owner is requesting keys and combos to be turned over to them for inspection purposes. This opens an opportunity for persons to see what you have behind closed doors.
Not necessarily. At our airport, it has been demonstrated that you can get in a locked hangar in a couple minutes.

Take a look at your siding panels. Are the screws exposed externally? Most are and it just takes removing a couple of them to get into a hangar.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
... At our airport, it has been demonstrated that you can get in a locked hangar in a couple minutes...
Yeah, and remember that Airplane Repo show on Discovery Channel? They showed us all kinds of ways to get into hangars without the owner knowing.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolivi View Post
Jack posted this on PoA as well. I don't think that thread mentioned that there were multiple victims.
Yep, I was a hit at T74 as well. When I mentioned it on POA, I was the only one that was known. I reported it to the police and they had no other reports. I assumed it was someone who had been in my hangar before and saw what I had. Oddly enough, the guy mentioned who sells headsets was one of those people. He flew in for lunch with some of my friends. I don't really know him and have no opinion on whether or not he was involved, but the police have his info.

I just found out a few days ago that David, and two other planes were hit as well. Honestly, we don't know if this is the end of it. Our city seems to have a wait-and-see approach instead of notifying tenants to check their hangars. A lot of pilots rarely come out, so they may not have discovered they're victims yet.