What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Build now or regret later

cwharris

My Empennage Kit is ordered and on its way. I have a question regarding electrical components. Since I?m a first time builder and looking far enough ahead to determine what I need to do now is something that?s starting to scare me a little bit. For example I know that I want Auto Pilot and so I believe this will require Electric Trim. Will the plans give me options and ways to build to accommodate all the electric servos? I guess the reason that I?m asking is because I was reading someone?s building blog and they added there on custom access port for placing the rubber servo. They said in there blog that it would be easier now then to have to do it later. How would I have known to do that if I?m a first time builder?

You're worrying too much. You can install the servos at anytime with out much effort.

I believe you are referencing rudder trim. Yes there are multiple mods that have been done on RV-10s over the years that require a servo. However, I would recommend a spring bias solution, like the Aerosport Products one. This option requires no modification to the tail or the purchase of an additional servo.

I'm not familiar enough with the RV-14 to specifically comment, but the RV-10 does have an electric elevator that comes with the kit. I suspect the RV-14 may be similar. Aileron trim is an option. I have it and don't really use it. The autopilot compensates for it.

As a first time builder, you are going to be in information overload. Don't take one builder's approach as the correct way of doing things. They could be that one rogue builder. You'll need to look at multiple build logs to determine what the consensus of the community may be.

Last but not least, have fun!

The trim servo and the autopilot servos are separate; you can use manual trim with an autopilot if you like. In my 7, the electric trim servo lives in the HS; the Van's add-on kit for the electric trim servo gives parts and plans on how to install.

The autopilot servos are in the wing (roll) or in the fuse (pitch), and the installation is dependent on the AP manufacturer and the type of aircraft. I'm using Dynon parts, and their manuals are online and show clearly what needs to be done to install their HW in the plane. For example, the roll servo in the wing needed a few extra brackets and a linkage between the servo and the aileron bellcrank. The installation instructions or timing isn't called out in Van's plans, but most of these can be installed directly in a completed plane, so there are few "oops, can't go back now" moments.

On the RV-14 ( the forum this thread is in), electric pitch trim is standard.
All other electric systems (autopilot, etc) are integrated with the design of the RV-14 and will be accommodated in the kit, with the exception of rudder trim. It is not planned (and not needed).
If a builder desires it, they will have to design and install it on their own.

Thanks a bunch guys. I?ve just been told by a couple of builders that the hardest thing for a new builder to do is to foresee what?s needed now in order for something to work later. Does that statement hold true for the earlier RV models and not for the RV14?

Many options

Waylon, you can even buy trim sensing autopilot servos that trim the airplane automatically!

I added them to my -10 this past winter when I upgraded the autopilot.

Best,

Waylon, you can even buy trim sensing autopilot servos that trim the airplane automatically!

I added them to my -10 this past winter when I upgraded the autopilot.

Best,

Now that's cool. Can you link us to some good resources on this?

Thanks a bunch guys. I’ve just been told by a couple of builders that the hardest thing for a new builder to do is to foresee what’s needed now in order for something to work later. Does that statement hold true for the earlier RV models and not for the RV14?

Having helped build a -7 and now building a -14A for myself, I would say that if you build the -14 per the drawings that there will be nothing to "forsee" except the decision to internally prime the structure, exterior paint color and cockpit interior finishing (seat cusions, interior paint color...). The aircraft is designed for, and has provisions for ALL of the systems, to include secondary systems such as lighting, trim and autopilot. A quick rewiew of the drawings will confirm this, as will inspecting the contents of the kit such as the pre-fabricated wiring harnesses that include provisions for autopilot, electric trim, ADAHARS modules, lighting, ELT.... it really is ALL there. The only two reasons that I can think of which would require you to plan for anything other than paint is 1: You decide not to go glass cockpit, or with a system other than Dynon or the other options that will be supported. 2: You decide not to follow the drawings and you do not purchase the Vans parts for firewall forward/engine installation.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike H for that reply. That?s exactly what I needed to here, because I am new and I have no idea what you can buy or what you can?t. Thanks again.

Elec Trim & Autopilot

For my -8A I considered electric trim a must have, but debated an autopilot. After 410 hours, I also put the autopilot in the must have category. I installed a TruTrak ADI II during construction. Both trim and autopilot installations were straight forward.

Everyone develops their list of favorite vendors, but you can't go wrong in dealing with the TruTrak folks. Same for Advanced Flight Systems.

Build the airplane.

You have no idea how long you're going to take before you need any electronics, and the technology is changing quite literally on about a 6 month cycle. The only thing you can be relatively certain of is that you'll need to run wires, so installing conduit will make that a million times easier later. Beyond that, I wouldn't even worry about panel wizardry until you're close to hanging the engine (or even after)! Next airplane I build will be complete save for a few panels for access before I do panel/avionics.

BTW I have manual trim and an autopilot. I hate electric trim, no feel.

Last edited:
My Empennage Kit is ordered and on its way. I have a question regarding electrical components. Since I?m a first time builder and looking far enough ahead to determine what I need to do now is something that?s starting to scare me a little bit. For example I know that I want Auto Pilot and so I believe this will require Electric Trim. Will the plans give me options and ways to build to accommodate all the electric servos? I guess the reason that I?m asking is because I was reading someone?s building blog and they added there on custom access port for placing the rubber servo. They said in there blog that it would be easier now then to have to do it later. How would I have known to do that if I?m a first time builder?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=103645

Now that's cool. Can you link us to some good resources on this?

I added TruTrak's new Vizion autopilot and they have the trim-sensing servos. They do an incredible job too....when I turn the Vizion off, the plane is perfectly trimmed.

Best,

Back