What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

320 or 360 cowl, how to tell?

320 or 360 cowl?

Fredrik, the size of the air scoop is the give away. The 320 cowl has a much smaller scoop. Sorry to say I don't have any photos but if you look at Steve Sampson's web site he has the 320 cowl.

320 & 360 cowl / scoop

Fredrik

As much as I know there is also a difference betweeen early cowls for constant speed and fixed pitch propellers. I think it's in length and spinner diameter.

We do have a old constant speed cowl (not fitted yet) for the O-320 and an additional larger scoop for the O-360. I try to take a picture of both later this week and post it here.

Fredrik, the big difference is that the current cowls are what VANS calls 'pre peg'. Not sure I understand the term but it is a sort of sandwich to make it stiffer. There are two types today. One for Carb'd 320, the other for injection or 360. The difference is the depth below the engine. On a carb'd 320 the airbox base is VERY close to the cowl. Hence the alternate bigger cowl.

I think your decision tree is :
a) decide engine.
b) then decide if you want to use the old cowl if you can.
c) then ask VANS what cowl you have.

My bet is if you give them the ref #s they can. Try Guss.

If you look in the catalogue you might find a replacement air scoop which can be grafted on if you need to.

Here is a link to the cowls on my web site. The index might also be helpful.

Last edited:
scoop sizes

Some pics of the cowl and the different scoops. Our cowl is an older constant speed cowl with the small scoop. Because we have an O-360 A1A and an airbox we acquired the additional larger scoop.

6172701149_dafccf287a_m.jpg
6172701219_621dbf55b3_m.jpg

Because we use a Rotec TBI, we could mount the filtered airbox (FAB) a bit higher than with the standard carburator. So we wonder if the small scoop would work as well? But to do this, the airbox would need to be smaller, i.e. modified. Not sure if it would really work out... Somebody have some experience?

6173229088_3e655f17a3.jpg

left: larger scoop with FAB / right: cowling with small scoop

Back