What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breakfast the RV way.......

fstringham7a

Well Known Member
Got up at O dark 30 to prepare for a breakfast run to Monument Valley,

http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

We were a flight of three that included an F1 Rocket, RV7A, and a Citabria. We departed 1L8 (Hur-a-cun, Utah) just as the sun was cresting over Mollies Nipple (another story for another day).

Once we got call signs (yellow1, blue1 (go figure the plane is black), and slow1), radio frequencies (FINGERS), and navigation figured out we settled in for a beautiful ride to Monument Valley (UT25). The mission was to have a breakfast at the Goulding Lodge Cafe, http://www.gouldings.com/.

The views in route and on approach were spectacular. Desert Buttes, Sand Dunes, Gorges carved by centuries of water/wind errosion. Lake Powell with the sun glistening off the water marked our path to the beautiful chimney rock country of Monument valley.

Once there the big decision was who was paying for breackfast.

Then it was time for the morning exercise to the vittles.

Then what to eat, or story to tell, or "who was that again........paying for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All to soon the food came, was consumned, checks paid......man did I get the bill or what. Oh well at least I didn't have to pay for the gas in the Rocket.:eek:

to be continued

Last edited:
RE:Breakfast the RV Wat Part 2

After some quick walk arounds the flight of 3 was ready to head back to the real world.........

Scott and Jack in Slow1

Wayne and Don in Blue1

And Gene and Frank in Yellow1

Just one of the many beautiful pictures of the desert Southwest we took from Yellow1.

to be continued

Last edited:
RE:Breakfast the RV Way part 3

All to soon we were on approach to 1L8 getting set up for right downwind 18........

Come on now no flames I know that this isn't a standard 45 entry, but with an RV one can at least make it fun.......:D

What a wonderful way to spend a morning. Wonderful free country that we live in with all of it's diverse beauty. Great friends to share a delicious meal in a beautiful location. And last but not least a fantastic time machine to shrink space and time..................Thanks Gene for a great ride in Yellow1

Thanks Wayne and Don for for a great morning of friendship and keeping us on our nav toes........

Thanks Scott and Jack for your friendship and great flying stories......

Can't wait to get my RV7A complete..............Will it never end.........gotta get this painting underway and done.............:eek:

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A.... Painting as soon as the FG/AL is prepped!!!!!

Last edited:
Breakfast

Great story and writeup. You guys live in a remarkably beautiful part of the United States. Hope to see some of that part of the West this Oct., before and after the Land Of Enchantment Fly In.

Geeze.....

I didn't read this earlier today, because I thought it was just a breakfast as some airport cafe.. ;)

And then I see it's Monument Valley and Lake Powell ----- the best two looking spots on earth! :D

Anyway, thanks for the writeup.

L.Adamson

RE:Landing Fee

Whats the deal on landing there, since its private... do they mind transients coming in?

The only fee was me paying for breakfast....BUT....I got a free ride to and from UT25 (Monument Valley).............and what gorgeous scenery and wonderful service at breakfast.

Clean and nice bathroom facility, no fuel...as I remember...there was a gas station close for AUTO'S...and motels, museum......

http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25

Frank 2 1L8 ...RV7A...Paint Prep

Last edited:
Mounument Valley

Dave Dollarhide and I have made MV a required stop on our yearly trip to Idaho. The camping is great....the Navaho are very nice....the food is good...and the scenery is spectacular......all that plus John Wayne.....Good pics guys.....thanks. Pat

I called and asked about making a short stop there and I was told I needed to send a copy of my insurance papers to them. Is that incorrect?

Dave Dollarhide and I have made MV a required stop on our yearly trip to Idaho. The camping is great....the Navaho are very nice....the food is good...and the scenery is spectacular......all that plus John Wayne.....Good pics guys.....thanks. Pat

Speaking of John Wayne, they have an interesting museum next to the restaurant. Lots of movie memorabilia, for all those westerns that were filmed in the area.

L.Adamson

RE:No Sheriff

I called and asked about making a short stop there and I was told I needed to send a copy of my insurance papers to them. Is that incorrect?

Our flight of three landed with no sheriff in tail.....:eek:

NO one asked for our papers before, while there, or after......

I did relook at airnav..... http://www.airnav.com/airport/UT25 ... and did note that one is supposed to get permission before landing. We didn't so................

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... Paint Prep

Last edited:
Back