What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Registration question

219PB

Well Known Member
I have been working with my DAR to get my aircraft registered. He mailed me a completed form 8050-1. The aircraft serial number that is typed in the field is incorrect.

• Can I simply one line the incorrect serial number and neatly print the correct serial number?
  • Do I need to get a new form?
  • Has anyone used the online form on the FAA website? Is it just a matter of filling it out online, print it, and mail with the other required documents?
My DAR was not familiar with the online forms.

Thanks in advance.

Just call them and they can probably make the correction while you are on the phone.
My experience is that they are very helpful

Steve,

Are you referring to calling the DAR and having him retype and resend the 8050-1 form? I have not submitted it to the FAA yet.

Correct form

Why don't you just notify him that it's incorrect, and that you're completing the form with the corrected info, and send it in?

If he's got the serial number wrong on the form (which you can fill out yourself, sounds like he's being helpful by doing it, but not necessary), then he likely has it wrong on the rest of his documentation, and it'll all need to be corrected.

The FAA office typically won’t accept a form with corrections on it.
I agree that you can just redo a new form and send it in. You do not need a DAR to register your plane. (I just registered my plane a couple months ago since it will be completed soon. No DAR required.)
Either call your dar so he can do a new form or call the registration office in Oklahoma and see if they will accept it. If not, they will also send you a new form if you ask them.
If I remember correctly they require their printed form for a new registration.
They also will need proof of ownership. Either a bill of sale from VANs or a form, I forget the number, that says you assembled from parts. I believe this form needs to be notarized. Maybe your DAR already has those for you.

Last edited:
The FAA office typically won?t accept a form with corrections on it.
I agree that you can just redo a new form and send it in. You do not need a DAR to register your plane. (I just registered my plane a couple months ago since it will be completed soon. No DAR required.)
Either call your dar so he can do a new form or call the registration office in Oklahoma and see if they will accept it. If not, they will also send you a new form if you ask them.
If I remember correctly they require their printed form for a new registration.
They also will need proof of ownership. Either a bill of sale from VANs or a form, I forget the number, that says you assembled from parts. I believe this form needs to be notarized. Maybe your DAR already has those for you.
Can't he just download the PDF and fill it out? It's been a while since I did mine, so I don't know the current rules on forms (some of mine required typing out uof forms that were duplicate or triplicate, IIRC).

But the DAR will still need to know ahead of time the correct info, as he will have various forms (ops limits, e.g.) that I believe will have the serial number on them.

Registering the aircraft, getting the N number assigned, is the one thing you can do and need to do before the DAR inspection. You will need the N number assigned and on the plane for the inspection. Since it can take several weeks to get this from the FAA, you should do it a couple months before the plane is done.
If you have questions about which forms you are required to have their printed forms for, just call them. I have found them easy to work with. I think they required their original 8050-1 form be used. That is the triplicate registration application form.

Thanks for all of your replies. I spoke to the FAA yesterday and I downloaded the 8050-1 form and filled it out. I have the bill of sale from Vans and the form notarized that states I built it.

I will send a copy to my DAR so that the rest of his documentation matches.

Thanks,

Back