What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

elevator trim wheel

1bigdog

Well Known Member
Anyone used used an elevator trim wheel ?
I have seen several discussions and one interesting picture in an RV-8 but no details.
I'd like to put a trim wheel in a center console of an RV-9A.

Thanks.

Michael B.

Rans aircraft builds a nice manual trim wheel that could be easily adapted to an RV. Have had this in mind for more than 15 years.

Search: Rans S6 trim wheel.

Would call them directly though.

George Meketa
RV8, 1570 hours

Both very neat

Hi Gil

I was looking for a wheel for a mechanical system, although this MAC/RAC kit is very neat, backlit and all.

And George, that has possibilities.
RANs publishes
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/6e941e_e06d4054396a4e29b022c21300a5bf15.pdf
and on page 34 has the trim wheel system. It's going forward however and not being familiar with RANs I'm not sure what it's trimming but it's a simple system so I would think it's adaptable.
My hope however was a trim wheel on a cam / worm gear adaptable to a single cable back without additional pully's. I'll look to see if RAM/cabletech has something.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael B.

Maybe a teleflex cable ?

Hi Gil

I was looking for a wheel for a mechanical system, although this MAC/RAC kit is very neat, backlit and all.

And George, that has possibilities.
RANs publishes
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/6e941e_e06d4054396a4e29b022c21300a5bf15.pdf
and on page 34 has the trim wheel system. It's going forward however and not being familiar with RANs I'm not sure what it's trimming but it's a simple system so I would think it's adaptable.
My hope however was a trim wheel on a cam / worm gear adaptable to a single cable back without additional pully's. I'll look to see if RAM/cabletech has something.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Michael B.

I'm not terribly familiar with marine or teleflex steering but in looking at their methods a geared down teleflex cable might work.

Just a thought.

The Rans trim wheel drives a single push/pull cable, not pulleys and cable. Again, think it is worth a closer look.

George Meketa

oh, new RANS 6

The Rans trim wheel drives a single push/pull cable, not pulleys and cable. Again, think it is worth a closer look.

George Meketa

ok, I get it. I was looking at an older RANS 6 type. The newer parts list has it. AC Spruce has it but the image is too pixelated to tell what you are looking at.
I'll investigate further.

Greatly appreciated.

Anyone used used an elevator trim wheel ?
I have seen several discussions and one interesting picture in an RV-8 but no details.
I'd like to put a trim wheel in a center console of an RV-9A.

Thanks.

Michael B.

Personally I think installing both a center console and manual trim are a mistake. I can't think of any advantage of either of those items compared to electric trim (takes up valuable space, weighs more, more complex, no autotrim available for AP, time to build and install, etc).

Most certified aircraft with trim wheels for pitch trim control actuate by using a closed loop cable system ( a loop of cable that runs between the trim wheel and another pulley wheel aft that actuates a jack screw arrangement).

It would be difficult to integrate into an RV's pitch trim system.

FWIW, I find the standard manual trim vans provides to be very intuitive and easy to use. I have never wished for a trim wheel oriented as they are in the cessnas I learned in. YMMV.

I know Im not an RV guy, but I have a center console in the M2, so made my own (not an electric trim fan at all).

C150 wheel and then cut the gears using plate aluminum and......a file! Single push pull cable. Not hard (rudder cables are showing in the pic, not the trim cable...)
smylhi.jpg

Last edited:
won't work

Most certified aircraft with trim wheels for pitch trim control actuate by using a closed loop cable system ( a loop of cable that runs between the trim wheel and another pulley wheel aft that actuates a jack screw arrangement).

It would be difficult to integrate into an RV's pitch trim system.

Hi Scott
I found the manual for the Navion late last night. It turn a wheel off to the right connected by a cable to the aft. It won't be a simple mod.
So the search continues.

Thanks for the response.

Back