What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinions Please: LSE Plasma, using shield for ground

Hi Folks,

Looking for opinions and experiences here. I am about to install my dual LSE Plasma 3 setup and in studying the wiring diagram discovered that the shield portion of the power wires is used to provide the ground to the ignition system. Knowing that my soldering skills are probably less than that of Klaus and his team (my crank sensor came prewired and potted w/silicone and would ahve to be totally redone if I change), I am probably going to do what is recommended. I have never heard of doing this sort of thing and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this setup (no issue, some issues, recommendations).

I appreciate your replies.

Dave

Don't know anything about the LSE Plasma system, but the practice of using the shield on a shielded cable for a ground is not unusual.

I caution you on the method used to strip the outer sheath - DO NOT cut around the sheath but gently slice down the length of it and snip off the piece to be discarded with snippers. When cutting around the sheath it is very easy to cut a little too deep and put a minute cut into the insulation of the wires beneath. Then if a little strand of the shield gets into this minute cut you have a short that is very difficult to fine, and is potentially intermittent. Stein has a video on his site with respect to this.

Don't ask how I know!!

Mark's right. Your radio coax does the same thing. Also TV coax, unbalanced microphone cables, guitar cords, etc.

Charlie

Hi Folks,

Looking for opinions and experiences here. I am about to install my dual LSE Plasma 3 setup and in studying the wiring diagram discovered that the shield portion of the power wires is used to provide the ground to the ignition system. Knowing that my soldering skills are probably less than that of Klaus and his team (my crank sensor came prewired and potted w/silicone and would ahve to be totally redone if I change), I am probably going to do what is recommended. I have never heard of doing this sort of thing and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this setup (no issue, some issues, recommendations).

I appreciate your replies.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The method described works fine on my LSE installation.

Craig

Follow LSE instructions

When it comes to LSE ignition, follow the instruction precisely.
When installed as instructed, the LSE ignition works flawlessly.
Nearly 1000 hours on 2 RVs with Light speed ignition and zero issues.

Grounded shielding

I've installed Plasma III in almost all my airplanes and follow the wiring instructions. There is a technique to getting the shielding off however. Once the outer casing is removed carefully push the shielding downs so it looks like a sphere. I use a piece of safety wire to start opening a hole in the side of the shielding, then fish the centre wire through it. You should end up with equal length centre wire and shielding without having cut any of the shielding strands. Once you crimp on the connector so can heat shield to add strength. I also add a dab of Shoe-goo (or equivalent) to the base of the connection if I want it water proof or so added strength on areas of vibration (I do this on coli connections on engine side).

I've never had a Plasma issue in 4 airplanes and 1000s hours.

As others have said, read the installation manual carefully and follow Klaus' instructions to the letter. I've had LSE Plasma systems in 5 homebuilts with over 6,000 hours of trouble free flying (with the exception of the evil Hall Effect mag hole trigger).

Oh, did I mention following the instructions? :)

deek

Back