What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Actual performance increase with EI/EFI

exercise

Well Known Member
I'm strongly considering dual electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection for my O-320 E2A RV4 project that should be done in a few months. Does any one have real world before/after numbers that might get me to jump. Most of my flying will be cross country stuff. Thanks.

I'm not advocating one brand of EI over another, as they all seem to have the same "performance" advantages, which has primarily to do with reducing fuel burn. This is because EI's can burn leaner mixtures than traditional mags.

Here is a good thread on the subject.

Depending on the EI you choose, you can put reduced maintenance on the list of Pro's. Also auto wires/plugs that are much cheaper and easier to maintain.

I did change from 2 mags to one EI and one mag and have noticable smoother running engine at lean mixtures. I realize that is qualitative not quantative, but is was easily observable.

The biggest fuel injection advantage comes by balancing your injectors. (aka GAMI-fy your injectors) Contact Don Rivera at Airflow Performance for more info.

Running LOP has many benefits. Read about it at any number of places online.

YMMV!

I have EI in my Cherokee (left mag remains, and an Electroair electronic replacement for the right mag), and I have similar EI components already sitting on the shelf and installed on the engine for the RV-8A I'm currently building. The Cherokee has a O-320 160HP, and my experience after installing EI includes:

• Increased performance (power) at altitude
  • No more fouling of spark plugs
  • Lower fuel burn rate (substantially - like a gallon+ less fuel per hour) at a given RPM in cruise
  • Substantially smoother-running engine at all speeds (including idle, which is almost like a car now)

Jeff Rose... now Electroair.

As a long time user of the original Jeff Rose ignition, you will gain noticeable improvements over dual magnetos. Smoother running is the biggest one. It's like the mag when turned off isn't even noticeable. No RPM drop at all.
The CAFE report which is many years old (I read it many years ago! :) ) showed improvements in all the engines functions. Efficiency and a more complete ignition burn were noted if I remember. They also weren't rocking the same engine monitors we have available to us now either.
If you want to save almost a thousand bones look up "Electromotive" online. You will find the Electroair in it's auto installation configuration. (That's the off the shelf that's turned into the Electroair BTW!) But the electromotive is for those who are not intimidated by wiring on your airplane.

Back